Author Topic: Electric scooters and bikes. Anyone have 1 and what's your thoughts on them?  (Read 5444 times)

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
I like the Viper blade with somewhat less nobby wheels but that has no centrum hub motors.
https://viperscooters.com/product/viper-blade-2000w-60v-electric-scooter-black/

I'm a big guy too.
Big? like this?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:36:12 pm by MT »

Offline Terry01Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Now that's funny! Almost too funny!  :-DD

The "Blade" is chain driven and from what I can make out from others the chain stretches after a few miles each time you adjust it. Most of the chain driven ones have to have a chunkier chain fitted if you plan on anything but flat road, i'm sure it's called a "hill pack" or something like that. I don't own one so that's only what I have heard from others so I don't know how much of a pain it really is even if at all.
I'm just in from a quick run on mine and got it to 68kph but it'll go more if i have more road and better clothing on, it was getting dark too. I would guess it'll run out of steam in the 80's kph somewhere. It'll for sure blast past 70kph!  >:D
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Online wraper

• Supporter

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
how they keep 5400w under control is a bit beyond me.

They don't. In typical Chinese manner they just make the number increasingly bigger cause bigger is better and sells more, that's it. Couldn't care less about how manageable or safe it is.

Here electric kick scooters are allowed up to 500W/20km/h on roads and cycling paths when present, although policemen often don't know and are all happy to tell you it's forbidden, until I take my phone out with the relevant page of the police website, then it's me showing a big grin  >:D
Had one the other day and he was despicably trying to "but..." and find any other way to tell us (2 of us users happened to pass by and get stopped at the same time) of something we couldn't do, was funny...

Have an etwow s2 booster that i've done nearly 2000km on since I bought it 2 years ago. Really convenient and light, can easily carry it in public transport.

I'm cheating a bit though, stock battery is 9s/6.5Ah and I added a 4s/6.5Ah in series for a bit more torque/power since I often do steep climbs and it makes a world of difference. Gains some top speed as well as a result to about 38km/h. I'm happy with that, wouldn't need or want more, especially since it wouldn't be that slim or weigh just 11kg anymore.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:38:16 pm by Kilrah »

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
Ah and my battery after those 2 years and 2000km is still in good shape, maybe a bit more voltage sag under load when it gets at low state of charge but not a concern yet.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
…. I also use a helmet and pads and stuff and lights when needed too. I dunno if that may make a small difference too...

A friend had a couple of the Swiss(?) versions of these, really fast scooters. Yeah he had to stop quick and they will stop quick, but you won't...so make sure you have good wrist guards because wearing your hand at the elbow is no fun...

I bought an electric bike wheel off ebay for $120US and another five battery packs for $150, so $170 allowed me to convert my old mountain bike to electric. I put on narrow road tires and it will go about 24MPH and 5 miles range on one pack (~180WHr). I charge with a 100W solar panel and Li-Ion solar charge controller. I have about 500 miles on the system by now and it works fantabulously.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
I can see more and more bank robbers, thieves snatching purses in parks etc using fast scooters as getaway vehicles. :phew:

Online Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
Not quite the same thing, but I've had an electric motorbike (Zero FXS) for over a year. I still absolutely love it. When I bought it I thought I'd probably get another petrol bike to go alongside it at some point. Now I'm not so sure.

Offline ealex

• Frequent Contributor
i have an "inokim light" - light as in 14kg, got it to 1300km in ~3 months, 24km from home to office and back.
it's advertised as 350W, only rear wheel drive - but that's enough to make it skid if you're not careful.
10S2P battery, 4400mAh made from 18650 cells -> easy to rebuild with better or more cells
also, it's software limited to 25km/h - the legal limit around here (you can override it in a config menu)

what i like about it:
- decent range
- folds to a decent size - i can put it under a desk in the office and charge it
- built like a brick - you can shave at least 3-4kg
- wider than other models - i can keep my feet inside it's perimeter
- some empty space in the frame - i can add at least 2 extra cells or maybe switch to another controller ( i was reading about VESC)

what i don't like:
- 8" wheels make it unstable : this city has zero dedicated bike lanes (maybe the next 7+ earthquake will fix this ...), and usually the first lane is the one with the most potholes / manholes / wavy asphalt, etc -> you need to be extra careful or use the sidewalks as much as possible
- this version has some design issues: the manufacturer tried adding a drum brake on the front wheel and unbalanced the weight distribution on the bearings -> one of the bearings gets "twisted" and deforms the axle, witch is made from some softer stainless steel
- some strange regenerative braking with a stupid implementation: if you disable it to gain some coasting distance you loose the lights .... and it's always enabled, even when you don't touch the brake
-  poor service / support "15 working days" for a part they had on stock, the entire operation took me 15 minutes to understand what i need to do and replace it
- poor quality control: one nut was loose, rattling inside the frame, one of the kickstand screws came undone, making it swing under the frame and making the entire thing jump
- no "health" related info, as the motor controller has just the power leads to the battery -> i can't see in advance when a cell gets weak to start planning a repair / replacement or to check pack balance

Online Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
Crossed my mind to convert a regular bike into one, would make a neat project.  The government likes to get their hands into everything, and they already do have their hands in these though.  There are regulations such as max wattage etc so something to keep in mind. 

Offline Terry01Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Not quite the same thing, but I've had an electric motorbike (Zero FXS) for over a year. I still absolutely love it. When I bought it I thought I'd probably get another petrol bike to go alongside it at some point. Now I'm not so sure.

I've seen a couple reviews on that model and it seems everyone who has tried it loves it! It looks nice too I think.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
I have Xiaomi Mijia M365 and I like it.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
A year ago, I converted my old 26" mountain bike to electric with a rear hub drive, with a number of connector mods to the supplied controller (XT series power connectors for power and motor drive).
I have a limited source of healthy second hand 18650 batteries and I've made two 13S (48V), 9AH batteries for it using Hailong cases from China with their own BMS circuits.

I enjoy going out at night and cycling/motoring away around the back streets... the bike would still be sitting there with flat tyres if I hadn't done this little project.
The battery(s) are charged using a single domestic solar panel (35V @ 9A) through a cheap ebay sourced boost power supply limited at 2A output.

So I'm running a 'green' charge setup.  :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:44:28 am by aargee »
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf