Author Topic: Electrical Appliance Brands You Would Never Buy Again  (Read 5398 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Electrical Appliance Brands You Would Never Buy Again
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2020, 06:44:57 pm »
Professional gardeners work all day long and travel from location to location so charging would be more of a challenge. There's also I'm sure a cultural thing, they use the tools they use because those are the tools they all use.

The only one that ever really bothers me are gas powered leaf blowers, I truly wish they would be banned. I'm not sure someone living in an area where they are not common can understand how obnoxious it is to live with a cacophony of screaming 2-stroke engines all day long all over the neighborhood blowing leaves from one place to another. It has gotten totally out of hand and during certain times of the year it's impossible to have anything resembling peace and quiet. We even have a neighbor near our little cabin who built a big fancy house out there with a perfectly manicured suburban lawn out in the woods amongst the vacation cabins. He'll be out there for several hours on a Saturday blowing leaves around making an obnoxious racket and then 10 minutes after he finally goes inside the wind gusts and there are leaves all over again. I loathe gas leaf blowers, one of the dumbest and most obnoxious inventions ever made.

I'm sure the blowers could be re-engineered to be much quieter, if someone really put their minds to it.  Of course, America being America, the government will not legislate for this kind of thing....   no matter how much sense it makes....   Don your earplugs and think of freedom!   :-DD

I have a restored 5hp Briggs leaf blower, which sounds more like a motorcycle.  It insists on a really loud exhaust explosion every time the engine is turned off...   later models of this engine have an electric fuel cut-off to prevent it...  It sounds like a gunshot...   The neighbours' kids all come over when I use it, just to hear the loud "Bang" at the end!   :)

Offline Veteran68

• Contributor
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2020, 06:46:06 pm »
I seriously think you guys poo-pooing the thought of a battery operated chainsaw needs to try one. Don't go with the cheap 40v saws though, mine is an 80v model and was decidedly not cheap (I could have bought pretty beefy gas model for the same money, but I don't need beefier than this).

I was pretty skeptical myself, and was pleasantly (very much so) surprised at the power, reduced noise, and overall convenience/cleanliness. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was an "order of magnitude" difference in experience for me. I don't run a chainsaw for a living. I take it out a couple times a year to handle jobs around the house, and I expect this 80v saw will last me as long as I need it to. I can buy extra batteries, and in fact intend to buy its sister string trimmer which will come with the same 80v battery, so I'll have two. If they'll come out with a backpack blower on the same battery system, I'm sure I'll pick up one of those too.

I hate 2-stroke engines, and the Poulan was the last one I had -- I upgraded to a 4-stroke trimmer and backpack blower years ago. I'm aware of the fuel bulb and lines disintegrating over time, I've replaced many of those over the years in various gas-powered yard tools. That wasn't the issue with my old Poulan, but if I cared to I'm sure I could have got it running again. But I didn't want to. I needed an excuse to get rid of it, and this cordless model was just the ticket. I gave the Poulan to my son-in-law to play around with.

If I were in the professional landscaping business, I would likely not depend on battery operated tools -- although, just as with most carpenters these days, I'd probably have some for where they made sense. As a homeowner however, they fit my needs very well. I'm all-in on modern battery powered tools and don't see myself continuing with gas power yard machines beyond my lawn tractor.
[DSO] Siglent SDS1104X-E   [PS] Siglent SPD3303X-E, Tekpower TP3005T   [LA] DSLogic Plus 16ch/400Mhz, Saleae Clone 8ch/24Mhz
[DMM] Agilent 34401A, Fluke 87V, Aneng 870/8008/8009, Greenlee DM-200, Mustool X1 Clamp, Craftsman 82351, Bunch of DT830x...

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2020, 07:48:45 pm »
[...] upgraded to a 4-stroke trimmer and backpack blower  [...]

Two-stroke engines have about 1.8 times the power of an equivalent displacement four stroke, and much simpler (lighter!) construction.  So they are perfect for "wearable" engines like blowers, backpacks, chainsaws, and the like.

I once owned a two-stroke Saab (car)...  Loved the sound!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2020, 07:56:28 pm »
Those Saabs do sound cool, I saw one at a car meet once. They sound very much like a 2 stroke outboard boat motor, I'm a fan of those. The exhaust is discharged underwater so they are not loud like the lawn equipment engines.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2020, 08:17:20 pm »
The hive of bees!

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf