Author Topic: Electronic Parts Management Software  (Read 16194 times)

Offline SherlockOHMS ΩTopic starter

Electronic Parts Management Software
« on: September 27, 2019, 03:40:47 pm »
I'm looking for a good affordable Electronic Parts Inventory Management Software. I've been looking at Bomist, PartsBox, and Parts in Place. Has anyone used any of these, what are thye Pros & Cons, and what one would you recommend. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
Re: Electronic Parts Management Software
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 01:15:04 pm »
Hi 'newbie' !!  Sorry you had no replies for your very 1st post !!...
I thought I found a great alternative, that is Open-Source and totally free !....
However, I finally found out it is Unix/Linux based, and not for Windows.  :P

In case anyone is interested, it is called... "PartKeepr" ( https://www.partkeepr.org )
It does everything you wanted, (like PartsBox) and more !
It even interfaces via a free API account to https://octopart.com , where you can have
auto links to all components specs/datasheets/images etc, from within the system !!
( https://octopart.com/api/home )

Hope you have a good day, all the same. Your questions are as important as any!!   :D
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech, SherlockOHMS Ω

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 08:24:10 pm »
Your reply is very much appreciated, thank you for helping out a NEWBIE to the forum. It makes me feel most welcome. I'm in the process of evaluating several Electronic Parts Management Systems. I'm trying to get Partkeepr to run on my Hosted Server, no luck yet. I've also tried running it on easyPHP DevServer, still no luck. I'm entertaining setting up my own Linux server again, and trying it out on it. I presently run both Windows 10 and Linux on my computer. I can boot into either OS. I'm running Linux Mint and Ubuntu, and have an additional partition that I can run a server on. Thanks again for your help it was much appreciated.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 09:53:53 pm »
No problem, you can run any Linux based software  on windows, it's easy and cool

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg, SherlockOHMS Ω

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 02:18:57 am »
Thank You for the suggestion, and the link. I thought about doing just that. I do however have Linux already installed as a dual boot option, and of course I could run it on a Virtual Machine also. Again thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your response.

Offline ADJohnson

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 10:43:23 am »
Good question and one I’m interested in hearing the answers too.  At the moment I just use Excel but it has rapidly failed to scale!

The following users thanked this post: SherlockOHMS Ω

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 02:12:42 pm »
I too have been using Excell for quite along time. It seems a lot of us do. It unfortunately lacks all the bells and whistles that I need. 

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 09:02:12 pm »
I'm looking for a good affordable Electronic Parts Inventory Management Software. I've been looking at Bomist, PartsBox, and Parts in Place. Has anyone used any of these, what are thye Pros & Cons, and what one would you recommend. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Asked several times, for example here, but honestly there has not been one perfect solution. A lot depends on your needs, and that's hard to define sometimes.

Offline packetbob

• Contributor
    • zappedmyself.com
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 03:04:59 am »
I use Partsbox (https://partsbox.io/) and am very happy with it..
I'm a hobbyist so just being to see if I have a part (and then actually be able to find it) is enough for me...
There is the tradeoff of it being cloud based but it also saves me the hassle of running a server for it....

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 03:23:51 am »
Thanks Your Response,
I'm in the process of evaluating PartsBox. It however lacks some features and other features are available buy subscription only which is more than I want to pay either monthly, or annually.

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 04:07:39 am »
Thank you for your response. The link to past posts was quite helpful.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 10:53:02 am »
Hi again SherlockOHMS ....
Just wondering if you had any luck finally, with the 'Partkeepr' package I suggested??
(I know you said you were trying a few options with it's utilization, without success).
From 'NOW' sunny Western Australia...   8)
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 08:26:02 pm »
No could not get it up and running. I've since given up Partkeepr has discontinued its upkeep about a year ago. I've played around with PartsBox, but does not satisfy my needs. I am doing my own for now on Access, but not thrilled with that either. Thanks for following up on this.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline jastreb

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 02:16:00 am »
I tried partsbox, and while i like it,  I do miss features not available in free version.I don't mind paying some money but the plans available are too expensive for me. Partkeepr is no longer maintained and developed and i believe the lookups to octopart are now broken.

I am now trying excel and octopart add-in. I would also love to know if there is any better alternatives.

Offline msr

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 05:49:27 pm »
Hi!

I noticed that BOMIST was referenced in the post.
Just wanted to share that it was re-written from scratch and it was just released.
You might want to give it a try: https://bomist.com

It's now cross platform and I'd say the FREE plan is quite generous:
* local database (you can use it offline and sync with other computers if you put it on a Dropbox folder for ex)
* you can manage parts, BOMs, purchasing, storage locations
* you can attach as many documents as you want to everything
* export every table into CSV, JSON, HTML or PDF
* write notes in markdown

(disclaimer: BOMIST's developer here  ^-^)

I'd love to know what you think and if you have any suggestions they are more than welcome!

Offline myval

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 01:40:42 pm »
Hi msr,
I have used BOMIST for few hours now and I might have few suggestions already.
Definitely number one is to get rid of manufacturer and manufacturer partnumber as required field, I have been trying to add whole bunch of resistors and SMD caps and inventing PN for each component is serious waste of time. it is fine when you add parts you just purchased and are new in a bag with part number but what you have already in stock might or most like will not have this luxury.

Change theme I don't know if it is only me but these gray letters on black are not doing too good to my old eyes.

Nice feature would be bulk add that would be a dream. Eg you want to add 50 different resistor values and you be only typing in values  how fast would that be (since it is bulk add they are all resistors they all should go in the same location......
Speaking of storage location that should be there when you add part. Adding part -> assign location -> quantity, boom you are done and don't have to jump through few screens to assign location and quantities and .....

Otherwise looks like a tool with a lot of potential.

Thanks
Josef

Offline myval

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 04:54:32 pm »
and import does not import tolerance and label.
I have tried import with manufacturer empty and it did not import but I did not even get any message that it failed or what actually happened.

I will be back with more  ;)

Offline myval

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 05:55:55 pm »
bit more ^-^ all my imported capacitors are now in Ω, now I have to go through it one by one and change Ω into F

oh yeah sort order be nice bit more refined as in 1Ω .... 999Ω, 1k .... 999k separate F and Ω and so on

in filters is manufacturer missing (required field and can not filter by it) :-DD

that is about it for today I think

Offline FlexDex

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 01:08:56 am »
I'm currently using MiniMRP (https://www.minimrp.com/), it's also good for assemblies as well

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 01:51:29 am »
No could not get it up and running. I've since given up Partkeepr has discontinued its upkeep about a year ago. I've played around with PartsBox, but does not satisfy my needs. I am doing my own for now on Access, but not thrilled with that either. Thanks for following up on this.

I use Access for this kind of stuff too, you can customize it 100% to your needs - the only downside is the work involved in doing that...

Offline brichards42

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 02:30:46 am »
I originally used PartKeepr but gave up when the development stopped.

I am now using Tryton (www.tryton.org).  It is a full ERP system and way more than I need but I don't use any of it's other features, just the Product/variant to keep track of parts, datasheets and locations.

I went with Tryton because it is full open source and also has definable attributes to store and search information like ohms, capacitance, description etc.

Downside is the documentation is not that great and it took a while to get it working like I wanted.

The following users thanked this post: myval, shebu18

Offline myval

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 03:08:22 pm »
Hey,
thank you for the tip. Tryton looks very good but how the hell did you manage to get it setup? How did you decipher how and what to do in the setup process?
Do you have any pointers? I only need parts store with locations I kind of can get that (I think), projects I am working on and the link in between them.
I have been trying to work out how to do the import of my existing database into it and I failed there too.

Thank you for any pointers
Josef

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf