Author Topic: Electronics (Microcontroller) shops in Brisbane/SE QLD?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline jonwilTopic starter

• Contributor
Electronics (Microcontroller) shops in Brisbane/SE QLD?
« on: June 09, 2019, 10:12:33 pm »
Are there any shops in Brisbane or SE QLD (e.g. Gold Coast) that have microcontrollers (e.g. ATMEL) or dev boards like Arduino?
Or any online shops in Australia that don't charge a fortune for shipping? (and dont take weeks to get here)

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
Re: Electronics (Microcontroller) shops in Brisbane/SE QLD?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 01:37:02 am »
There's a few Jaycar stores on the Gold Coast.
Altronics in Virginia (north side of Brisbane)
RS and element14 have free overnight delivery if you order more than $50 worth. RS have free delivery however if you don't order much they might slow it down a bit.
Mouser delivers for free via FedEx/DHL if you spend more than $66.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 03:19:23 am »
I will be giving Jaycar and Altronics a look, one of those will probably have what I need I hope.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 11:18:05 am »
Managed to find the ATTiny85 I need from Altronics in Virgina so that's covered.
Now I just need to figure out how to actually program the thing without spending $30 or more on an Arduino from Jaycar/Altronics or ordering something online (which means high shipping costs and/or long shipping times that means I dont get in time to be ready for the LEGO train display at the train show in 2 weeks)

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 12:17:16 pm »
Managed to find the ATTiny85 I need from Altronics in Virgina so that's covered.
Now I just need to figure out how to actually program the thing without spending $30 or more on an Arduino from Jaycar/Altronics or ordering something online (which means high shipping costs and/or long shipping times that means I dont get in time to be ready for the LEGO train display at the train show in 2 weeks)

https://www.jaycar.com.au/isp-programmer-for-arduino-and-avr/p/XC4627

Where is the train show?

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 12:45:32 pm »
The show is on the Gold Coast (and the project I am working on with the ATTiny85 is a set of accurate-to-the-real-thing XXXX lights for the top of my XXXX Brewery model).
As for that programmer, it doesn't seem like it can be used to program an ATTiny85 so that doesn't help.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 01:06:59 pm »
The show is on the Gold Coast (and the project I am working on with the ATTiny85 is a set of accurate-to-the-real-thing XXXX lights for the top of my XXXX Brewery model).
As for that programmer, it doesn't seem like it can be used to program an ATTiny85 so that doesn't help.

Yes it can. You can use AVRdude, or treat it like an Arduino.
See https://arduinoexamples.wordpress.com/2013/10/13/usbasp-gravacao-do-bootloader-burning-bootloader-attiny85/
[scroll down a bit for English]

Offline Flenser

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 01:58:25 pm »
If you need it now you don't seem to have much choice to see what you can get overnight delivery and pay the price.

It is a long shot nowdays, but if you can find an old PC that has a parallel port you can build a DAPA cable. This is supported by avrdude.
https://avrfornoobs.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/14/

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 10:31:08 pm »
Yes it can. You can use AVRdude, or treat it like an Arduino.
See https://arduinoexamples.wordpress.com/2013/10/13/usbasp-gravacao-do-bootloader-burning-bootloader-attiny85/
[scroll down a bit for English]
Thanks, looks like that will do the job then, will pick one up next time I am near a Jaycar.

Offline Geoff_S

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 11:19:40 am »
You can program an ATTiny85 with a USBasp programmer.  You can pick them up cheaply from eBay (you'd probably find some AU sellers offering fairly quick postage) or other online electronics stores like Core Electronics, TronixLabs, Little Bird Electronics etc

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 04:06:03 am »
The controller linked earlier from Jaycar (the one I bought the other day) is a USBasp clone (uses the USBasp drivers and the USBasp setting in the Arduino IDE). Works great too for programming ATTiny85.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf