Author Topic: Electronics people and football  (Read 5284 times)

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
Re: Electronics people and football
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2020, 02:15:53 pm »
Engines are good.  I like engines too.  Here's a former toy of mine:

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2020, 03:38:52 pm »
the entire point of the movie was to show the "sickness and insanity of contact sports and their allure."[12]

Exactly! My post was satirizing the people who watch American football, which is the modern equivalent of gladiatorial combat. I just can't see the appeal of watching a bunch of huge steroid freaks in crash helmets and padded suits smashing into each other for a few hours.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2020, 12:18:44 am »

the entire point of the movie was to show the "sickness and insanity of contact sports and their allure."[12]

Exactly! My post was satirizing the people who watch American football, which is the modern equivalent of gladiatorial combat.
I just can't see the appeal of watching a bunch of huge steroid freaks in crash helmets and padded suits smashing into each other for a few hours.

Groundhog Day, year in year out   :palm:

You could watch colorized black and white replays from any decade, or listen blindfolded,  and it's the same deal  :horse:

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2020, 01:11:48 am »
Football is amongst the most overated forms of activity on Earth, and I loathe it.  Aside from electronics, my other passions are motorsports, motorcycles and anything with a turbo engine, actually, anything with an engine!

I'm over engines!

I have spent too many hours up to my elbows in them----& it was mainly self inflicted, either "for fun" or to save money.
Hell, I learnt the "Otto Cyle" when I was about 12, & helped to rebuild an engine & gearbox at 14.

I've had to mess with Diesels a bit for work, but quite rarely inside the "guts".

Playing with engines/cars did help with developing my manual dexterity, as they do delight in putting nuts, etc in the most inaccessible positions-------just like Electronics manufacturers!

The "hands on" experience also  came in handy for fixing the small air compressors used in cable dehydrators.

Somehow, the "magic" has faded, however! ;D

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2020, 02:38:35 am »
The best nerdy team sport of the last 25 years is Battlebots.   :box:

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2020, 04:26:10 am »
I've been working on cars since I was a kid and still enjoy it. The only time I don't like it is when something breaks and I have to work on it in the middle of winter, that's no fun at all.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2020, 05:18:30 pm »
The only thing I know about cars is where to take them when they break.  :-DD
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2020, 09:38:35 pm »
I'm clueless about that, I wouldn't know where to even find a mechanic, I've never had a reason to look for one.

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2020, 03:21:03 am »
A few comments from someone who played sports at a semi-pro level as a young man, but is long past those times.

1.  All the comments about a sport (or sports) being boring are really a reflection on the commenter.  Soccer is boring if you don't know what is going on.  Same thing for American football....

TRUE! I went to a University of Texas vs. Dallas football game with another expat Australian, at the UT in Austin in 1992. We knew nothing about American football, but expected to enjoy the game. At some stage (I kid you not), I asked another spectator when the game was going to begin. His answer was it was already half way through! We thought the players were were just practising or warming up as there was little action to be seen. Up until then, the only entertainment was watching the cheerleaders. We had absolutely no idea about American football.

When I was much younger, I played a rare sport in Australia called baseball. I was actually a member of the Essendon Baseball Club. Practising every Saturday morning and playing every Sunday, I got pretty good at it. In 1997 I visited Boston and was invited to the Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees baseball game. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, from the crowd, the hot dogs, the venue, and of course the game because I understood it. A bonus was some huge bloke named Mo would donate to a charity $10,000 for every home run he hit.

3.  Workplace involvement in sports is largely related to how consuming the work is.  Sports doesn't seem big in most medical settings.  Many engineering jobs are fully consuming.

You are right. Most engineers are under tight deadlines. I have not watched a movie for weeks, as I am under a tight deadline working from home doing PCB design for a client....  8 layers, BGA's, very tight real estate, multiple voltage rails. So it is fully consuming even over Easter. Sport is the last thing on my mind, but at least I am nearing the Gerber stage and will be glad when this one is over. On the other hand, from many of these comments a lot of people here are just not interested in football, irrespective of how busy they are.

I think we are a bit of a subculture, started by the Tandy 150-in-1 Electronics Kit :D.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf