Author Topic: Electronics surplus stores of yesteryear  (Read 2389 times)

Offline AlbertLTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Electronics surplus stores of yesteryear
« on: September 21, 2021, 12:37:22 am »
Just wanted to contribute some local recollections of long-gone electronics surplus dealers…

From the late 1960s through the early ‘80s, I knew of three such stores in the northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC.  For a “paper” town, DC generated quite a bit of electronic surplus, due to government R&D facilities like NBS (now NIST), Naval Research Lab and NASA Goddard, military bases, and numerous contractors and manufacturers serving the aerospace and national-security markets.

Sasco Electronics was an old storefront on King Street in Alexandria, across the Potomac from DC.  Thanks to the construction of a Metro station, the area is now very upscale, with lots of trendy restaurants, boutiques and antique shops, but back then it was mostly utilitarian businesses like auto parts and office supplies.  Sasco’s display windows and deep, narrow sales floor were crammed with all kinds of equipment and parts, all at very low prices.  There was also a dungeon-like basement, with bare light bulbs on the ceiling and rows of crude wooden shelves piled high with every imaginable type of part, especially big transformers, inductors and capacitors, most of it top-quality stuff salvaged from military and commercial gear.  The owner was usually seated behind the counter puffing on a pipe, while a kid at a bench in the back disassembled some piece of equipment for parts.

Ritco Electronics was a similar operation, housed (as best I can recall) in one or more large sheds or garage-like buildings in the suburb of Annandale, VA.  Perhaps due to their larger space, they seemed to have more big/heavy, complete pieces of equipment than Sasco did.  My biggest purchase from Ritco was big, heavy Polarad microwave receiver.   

Electronic Equipment Bank in Vienna was the biggest of the three, and the one I’m most familiar with since I worked there, for owner Dick Robinson, occasionally and part-time from late 1975 through about 1977.  Dick was an EE who had previously been in test equipment sales (for HP, I think).  Unlike the other stores, whose customers were pretty much all hams and other hobbyists, EEB also did a substantial commercial business.  This was in an era when a lot of quality vacuum-tube “boatanchor” test gear like Tek 500-series scopes and those big HP signal generators (606/608?) were still considered viable lab instruments and could bring real money.

EEB was housed in a large space in a warehouse building with a loading dock, in an industrial area with neighbors like an HVAC contractor and building supply distributors.  There was an office for Dick and a bookkeeper/admin lady, a showroom, a lab with two benches, a library/lunchroom with at least six four-drawer file cabinets stuffed with manuals, a calibration standards lab equipped with various salvaged items, and a vast storage area on two levels, divided into several rooms, with heavy steel shelving and equipment piled high everywhere.

A lot of our stock came from the federal government (GSA) surplus auctions at the Washington Navy Yard, held in the cavernous former Naval Gun Factory.  The equipment was usually sold in lots which seemed to be randomly assembled by someone unfamiliar with the merchandise; rumor had it that the security guard at the exit was there not to prevent theft, but to make sure that no winning bidder got away without taking *everything* he’d ended up buying!

To get his often huge hauls back to the store, Dick would sometimes hire a young man of the hippie persuasion, who drove a Step-Van (a former Postal Service truck. I believe) painted in a Star Trek motif, complete with the Enterprise’s “NCC-1701” number, and with a carpeted bed for his German Shepherd on the passenger side.

At some point Dick had acquired two enormous coaxial capacitors, balun transformer or something like that, probably from a high-powered military HF station.  They were   essentially brass cylinders, maybe 10-12 inches in diameter and 8-10 feet long.  They’d been sitting in our warehouse forever, with no interested customers.  But when our trucker saw them, he immediately knew what to do with them – they became the “engines” on the roof of his four-wheeled “starship”!   

Anyway, one of EEB’s specialties was 500-series Tek scopes.  They were piled everywhere in the showroom and warehouse, along with every kind of plug-in.  I worked on a lot of them, and was able to fix quite a few despite my minimal knowledge of electronics, thanks to the excellent manuals and assistance from some of Dick’s friends who had worked in field service for Tek or for the various instrument rental and calibration companies in the DC area.   

The following users thanked this post: bgm370

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
Re: Electronics surplus stores of yesteryear
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 02:12:27 am »
In the early 1960's I would go to J. J. Glass Surplus in Los Angeles.  They had mostly military surplus, and I would pick up ARC-5 receivers so I could remove the dynamotor and re-wire the tube filaments.  Plucking a few plates from the tuning capacitor let me receive in the 40-meter ham band.  There was also a WW2 airplane radar (don't remember the model #) that a friend and I each got.  We modified them to become AM transceivers and we talked to each other from our houses about a mile distant.  I have no idea what the actual frequency was, we used VHF TV antennas and probably sent local aircraft down in flames,  I also remember getting rolls of magnesium ribbon -- lots of fun to light with a match, or cut into little bits and put inside homemade fireworks.

Years later I would hang out at HSC Electronics in Rohnert Park and Electronics Plus in San Rafael, both in northern California.  These had more modern industrial surplus from the '60s and '70s.

None of these places are around anymore.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 03:25:42 am »
Interesting stuff.  My own experience was from Radio Row, in downtown Manhattan.  Dozens of storefronts selling WW II surplus gear.  I was a teenager back then in the middle 1940s and would spend hours window shopping.  I had no money so couldn't buy anything.

Later in Chicago I would shop at Allied and Newark on Jackson Blvd.  Years later, in Los Angeles I enjoyed places like Valley Electronics Supply and Henry Radio.

Offline Kerlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 01:01:51 am »
The locals here in Australia had a big thread about this. There were also radio rows here.
Would be interested to follow information on your one on this thread.

I was the same as a teenager in 1960s. I had no money and could only look and stare at that equipment.

We are strictly locked down at home at the moment. So have I done quite some reading and am flowing the parallel universes thing, it seems most cosmologist believe they can be proven to exist. So I am hoping some where in one of those universes there was a me kid who bought heaps of gear and took it home and had great fun.

I have also considered that not being able to get some of that surplus gear caused me greater curiosity and spurred the need get into Electronics and Radio.
Need I say after a long career in that line, the rest is history.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:06:48 am by Kerlin »
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 01:23:59 am »
Anyone else remember Mendelsons in Dayton, Ohio?  I used to go there when I was about Sagan's age, from 1978-1982.  It changed a lot since then, before going out of business last year.  (maybe year before last)

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 05:54:45 am »

Offline AlbertLTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 06:44:36 am »
Great article, thanks!

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 03:51:35 pm »
https://www.qcwa.org/radio-row.htm
WOW, Canal street and Cortlandt street!  What an incredible place for a kid fascinated by electronics to poke around in!
Jon

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 04:32:56 pm »
Here in Silicon Valley we had several surplus stores.

The biggest, and perhaps most well-known, was Halted Specialties (AKA HSC Electronics). This place looked like a warehouse inside and had a little bit of everything, both surplus and new. They downsized to a smaller location a few years ago, and after just a year or two at their new location they sold out to another company, which absorbed them into their operation, but it was not the same--the magic was gone.

WeirdStuff Warehouse was another Silicon Valley icon that was around for decades until it closed in 2018. This place sold stuff like racks, servers, and network switches. Need a part for an old Sun Workstation? WeirdStuff was the place to go.

Another was Mike Quinn Electronics, at the Oakland Airport. This place was a riot of assorted junk. They often sold surplus electronic stuff by the pound. Closed for good around 2006.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 06:12:49 pm »
Canal Street NYC in the 70's.
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 11:04:24 pm »
It was the middle-to-late 1940s.  I was becoming an adolescent.  My dad worked from home as a watchmaker.  Often he would go to watchmaker's alley in Manhattan, more properly known as Maiden Lane.  Lots of supply houses and such, geared to watch and clock people.  Dad would send me there on errands, so I went from the Bronx to Maiden Lane via the subway.  I remember places like Phillip Sloves and Paulson's.

Once there, and having transacted whatever business was necessary, I would traipse westward on Maiden Lane.  When I crossed Broadway, the street name changed to Cortlandt Street.

Need I say more?

Today I went to my local electronics store, All Electronics in Van Nuys, California.  It helped me relive some of those old times.  Against the wall are dozens, maybe hundreds, of electronics items, a sort of museum.  Meters, generators, much more.  It gave me much pleasure once again seeing beautiful old stuff.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 02:55:10 am »
Al Lasher's Electronics

After 60 years in business they closed on 31st December 2020. So sad!

Nice photo of the couple who were the owners on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/LashersElectronics/

Offline ocw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 03:49:56 am »
While most of their parts did not rate as surplus, I liked Poly Paks.
I can probably still dig up a few of those.

Offline wn1fju

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 11:09:11 am »
What I remember most about wandering around Radio Row in New York City was the prices.  Or should I say, lack of prices.  It wasn't like going into an ordinary electronics store where there were prices marked on each item.  No, on Radio Row, you would pick an item out of a barrel and bring it up to the the store owner.  He would look at you, particularly how you were dressed, and base his price upon his guess as to how much you were able to pay. 

Being from the "wealthy" Connecticut suburbs, my mother wouldn't let me out of the house unless I was properly dressed, especially when I was taking the train into the "City."  But I finally convinced her I needed to dress like a bum when I was headed to Radio Row.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 05:37:22 pm »
I find it amusing reading what all these codgers have to say about memories.  We had an almost unique experience with these stores.  It's too bad there isn't much of that any more.  Even Tucker is gone, not that I could afford their prices.  That's why swap meets are so much fun.  I enjoy mostly commisserating with the vendors and sharing memories.  I still have a BC-221 I got from a swap meet a couple of years ago.  I don't use it but it was fun for a while.  Not to speak of my Q meters and RX meter.

I would love to find a few people who might help me downsize.  I am overwhelmed with all this stuff.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 03:32:38 pm »
Helmut Singer Elektronik in Aachen, Germany. Open by appointment only during the week but open for all on Saturdays. Closed a few years ago.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 06:00:25 pm »
The fun isn't over.  At a swap meet on Saturday I picked up a military surplus impedance bridge.  I think it's a ZM-11A/U and has been a ton of fun to play with.  It's small and heavy and has many interesting functions.  I spent the entire afternoon the next day playing with it.

I don't think I'll keep it but am glad I got it.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 08:19:01 pm »
Swap meets are about the only game left in the US Midwest.  Some universities have surplus outlets but they've started putting most of that stuff up for sealed bid or ebay auctions since Covid.  Dayton's been cancelled for 2 years in a row now and the local swaps have been, shall we say, underwhelming.  Maybe next year.  There's not much to match the thrill of digging a Tektronix 1502 TDR out of a buck a pound surplus box and having it test out 100% functional when getting it home.

I remember as a kid going to Detroit's Radio Row and seeing tables full of radio parts.  That stuff was gone in the 70s.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf