Author Topic: Element 14 giving away Agilent 3000X's?  (Read 15931 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Element 14 giving away Agilent 3000X's?
« on: July 02, 2011, 10:28:03 pm »
I'm lead to believe that with these Roadtests you are allowed to keep to bit of gear...
http://www.element14.com/community/roadTests/1029/?CMP=OAD-SOM-Twitter-[Roadtest]

Dave.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
Re: Element 14 giving away Agilent 3000X's?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:25:48 pm »
Temporarily Unavailable

We're sorry. This site is not available at this time.

(July 3)

Guess the site is buckling under the strain of having its first ever interesting content :)

Offline Jimmy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:21:51 am »
Link worked for me if already logged into element 14 website.

3 kits available  70 applicants atm

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 01:25:32 am »
Guess the site is buckling under the strain of having its first ever interesting content :)

*snort*

Dave.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 01:49:33 am »
I do not trust anything that comes as opinion or reviews from "element14" .
But that's a personal thing.  :)

Alex

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:21:04 pm »
Application submitted and I am on the candidates. Would be great to test drive this scope first hand and compare with a Tek DPO3k over here.

Ha, the irony...Alistair W. was the name of a sales rep from Tek that did a demo for an MSO4k at Intel in 2007ish. Same guy?!...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 10:30:20 pm »
Ha, the irony...Alistair W. was the name of a sales rep from Tek that did a demo for an MSO4k at Intel in 2007ish. Same guy?!...

Unique name, so probably. Coincidentally, he's leaving (or has already left) Element 14.

Dave.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 04:40:33 am »
Alistair is in this forum...

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 06:06:26 am »
Coincidentally, he's leaving (or has already left) Element 14.

I applauder everyone who leaves or is leaving that parody called Element 14. Element 14, where they take hobbyists for a ride. And I am not just talking about the road tests.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 07:31:48 am »
I applauder everyone who leaves or is leaving that parody called Element 14. Element 14, where they take hobbyists for a ride. And I am not just talking about the road tests.

How do they take people for a ride?
You get to keep the road test items, and in this case three Agilent 3000X's is nothing short of bloody amazing.

But the Element 14 site is of course, a big FAIL. But pour money into it they do, a LOT of money...

Dave.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 09:30:58 am »
Coincidentally, he's leaving (or has already left) Element 14.

OK, I'll bite.

- In exchange for a couple of hours writing I have received already $1k worth of test gear via roadtests. And to be in the running for that Agilent MSOX3024A isn't half bad either; most likely a 1 in 150 chance for a $5.5k MSO.
- They will deliver, for free, via overnight courier, to my home in a tiny town in the Hunter Valley, orders valued at $10 or more. Altronics can't manage that even when I pay them extra for AAE 'jet express' overnight courier.

How are e-14 taking hobbyists for a ride?

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 04:00:04 pm »

First they try to attract them via the element14 website, then they refuse to sell to them in at least Austria, Sweden, Germany and India.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 10:09:36 pm »

First they try to attract them via the element14 website, then they refuse to sell to them in at least Austria, Sweden, Germany and India.

Wow - that really, really sucks. Point taken.
[I wish you had just said that instead of keeping us in suspense  :o]

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 02:36:56 am »
That doesn't make sense, because E14 will sell to anyone here in Oz, and as John said, free courier on web orders. Can't be beat.
RS components do the same thing.
Buy hey, Farnell/Element14/Newark is real hotch-potch company anyway, so probably not surprising they do stupid things in different countries.

Dave.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 05:42:55 am »
That doesn't make sense,

You can add Denmark, Finland, Norway and Portugal to the list of countries where Farnell doesn't make sense, i.e. doesn't sell to hobbyists. Sometimes they just say no, sometimes they refer hobbyists to some retailer. Run the red text on https://dk.farnell.com/jsp/profile/register.jsp through google translate and you get:
Note: Farnell trades only with companies with a valid VAT number, and all purchases are paid via invoice.

For https://fi.farnell.com/jsp/profile/register.jsp you get
If you are an individual, you can search for products without having to register and order must be made through dealers. ...

And https://no.farnell.com/jsp/profile/register.jsp
Note: Farnell's only businesses with valid registration number, and all purchases are paid via invoice.

Portugal https://pt.farnell.com/jsp/profile/register.jsp
Please be advised that a result of restructuring of business, from the 4th of May 2009 to Farnell stopped selling directly to its private clients in Portugal.

In Belgium and the Netherlands they seem to have special conditions (https://be.farnell.com/jsp/profile/register.jsp and https://nl.farnell.com/jsp/profile/register.jsp again the red text).

RS components do the same thing.

Do you mean not selling to hobbyists? Indeed, they also do that :( Making their DesignSpark PCB community things as dodgy as Farnell'S Element 14.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:48:45 am by BoredAtWork »

Offline ally

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 04:04:07 pm »
Temporarily Unavailable

(July 3)

Thanks Rufus..I have tried for two years  :D

I've never demo'd sold Tek stuff. Be interesting if someone with the same unusual name was in the same business!

Dave..you know too much  ;)

I think RoadTest has been great fun. We've had some outstanding reviews over the last two years, quite a few from guys on this forum..actually most from guys from here! We must have given out a few hundred ks worth of gear without looking for anything but a few words and pics in return.

But all good things come to an end..and I'll probably be spending a bit more time chillin here now  8)

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 04:08:45 pm »
If we are able to conduct the road test and we are allowed to keep the product..are we allowed to resell?

Offline ally

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 04:23:18 pm »
If we are able to conduct the road test and we are allowed to keep the product..are we allowed to resell?

After you write the review then it is your's to keep, sell, destroy..or jump in a canyon with (disclaimer that Fluke DMM was not part of rt)

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 01:14:56 am »
Temporarily Unavailable

(July 3)

Thanks Rufus..I have tried for two years  :D

I've never demo'd sold Tek stuff. Be interesting if someone with the same unusual name was in the same business!

Dave..you know too much  ;)

I think RoadTest has been great fun. We've had some outstanding reviews over the last two years, quite a few from guys on this forum..actually most from guys from here! We must have given out a few hundred ks worth of gear without looking for anything but a few words and pics in return.

The only thing that annoys me with roadtests - some people literally write nothing at all. For example, the Agilent U1272A... I spent a while on it, and updated the review over time. Then you have people who spent about five minutes, such as
http://www.element14.com/community/roadTestReviews/1003
If I'm not lucky enough to receive one of the Agilent MSOX3024As I sure hope whoever does get one puts some effort into their review.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:35:47 am by tronixstuff »

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 01:34:40 am »
http://www.element14.com/community/roadTestReviews/1003.
An unexpected error has occurred

Even so, it does not matter the time spent about writing the review it self.
What it does matter, are that those reviews to be rich of information, for the professionals and experts.
And this demands from the side of the reviewer, to had actually work in the field,
so to have some experience, of what called as useful, and what as a toy.
We are talking about an industrial tool, and not a flashlight.

The U1272A has a manual of 150 pages.
If you do not read it, you can not understand of what this device is capable of !!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:37:44 am by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 01:37:06 am »
http://www.element14.com/community/roadTestReviews/1003.
An unexpected error has occurred

Even so, it does not matter the time spent about writing the review it self.
What it does matter, are that those reviews to be rich of information, for the professionals and experts.
Yes, my point exactly.
Try the link again, a full stop was at the end by accident.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 02:57:41 am »
tronixstuff, you might not want to give away all of your secrets, but how much did you write in your accepted road test applications' "why do you want to review this" section? I've enrolled for the Agilent MSO (hey, why not! :) and written what I hope is a convincing argument for why I'd be able to provide a useful review.

The "I measured the temperature of my armpit" review was truly diabolical. I'd be interested to see what they put in the application. Maybe element14 were having a slow day.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:05 am »
tronixstuff, you might not want to give away all of your secrets, but how much did you write in your accepted road test applications' "why do you want to review this" section? I've enrolled for the Agilent MSO (hey, why not! :) and written what I hope is a convincing argument for why I'd be able to provide a useful review.
Ask me after the 18th of July.  :o

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 05:57:58 am »
The only thing that annoys me with roadtests - some people literally write nothing at all. For example, the Agilent U1272A... I spent a while on it, and updated the review over time. Then you have people who spent about five minutes, such as
http://www.element14.com/community/roadTestReviews/1003
If I'm not lucky enough to receive one of the Agilent MSOX3024As I sure hope whoever does get one puts some effort into their review.

Yeah, that's the problem, most people just don't care and don't want to give back. I think they should go to an established reviewers, especially with really high end stuff like this.
I mean, and Agilent 3000X, wow, I thought I was lucky to get one, I know other reviewers that didn't get to keep theirs. And here are three up for grabs.
I think it's a crime if you don't get one John! yours are the best road test reviews by far that I've seen.

Dave.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 06:03:05 am »
Ask me after the 18th of July.  :o

I'd apply myself, but that might look a tad greedy on my part  ;) But this full time video blogger could sure do with the resell cash  ;D
I'd likely be the only one that can provide the review up front! ;D

Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf