Author Topic: Elizabeth Holmes convicted of fraud  (Read 47940 times)

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
Re: Elizabeth Holmes convicted of fraud
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2022, 03:03:44 pm »
Maggie was a lot of things but we knew where we stood with her. I remember as being anything but fake or deceptive, just staunch AF.

The same could be said for all fascist dictators.

(And the Piranha Brothers.)

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2022, 03:55:34 pm »
It's a facial expression that's similar to that of Mark Zuckerberg, with eyes wide open all the time with very little blinking.
She reminds me more of Margaret Thatcher. Everything about her seems to have been trained into her, to suppress her actual nature. Her low authoritative sounding voice, that keeps tilting in pitch and confusing people (i.e. she seems to get interrupted a low). Her mannerisms. Pretty much everything about her outward appearance seems as fake as a TikTok model.

Can you explain this more? Maggie was a lot of things but we knew where we stood with her. I remember as being anything but fake or deceptive, just staunch AF.
This has nothing to do with what she stood for, although the high levels of corruption she would tolerate around her suggested she would stand for anything.

Its her manufactured style. Try finding video of her from the early 70s. For example when she was the education minister. Then compare that to video of her in the 1980s when she was in power. Its not like looking at someone who had matured and gained stature. You are looking at a manufactured product. People famously seemed to interrupt her a lot, but this was her fault. She couldn't maintain the trained low authoritative voice consistently. She would let it rise, realise, and drop the tone suddenly. Tone is punctuation in English, and a sharp fall in tone is a period/full stop. So, the other party started talking. Her whole manufactured persona is very similar to Elizabeth Holmes.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, MrMobodies

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2022, 11:07:58 pm »
She got 11 years and 3 months in prison. Ouch!
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2022, 11:11:52 pm »

Which prison that is determines the true fate.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2022, 11:16:04 pm »
She doesn't even go straight to prison  >:(

Elizabeth Holmes, founder and CEO of the collapsed Silicon Valley blood testing company, Theranos, has been sentenced to 11.25 years in prison plus three years supervised release for financial crimes she committed while running the once-high flying venture.

Holmes was also fined a $400 million special assessment. Holmes must surrender to custody on April 27, 2023. Holmes is expected to appeal.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2022, 11:18:50 pm »

Probably a country club prison for white collar criminals.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2022, 11:19:29 pm »

Elizabeth Holmes, founder and CEO of the collapsed Silicon Valley blood testing company, Theranos, has been sentenced to 11.25 years in prison plus three years supervised release for financial crimes she committed while running the once-high flying venture.

Holmes was also fined a $400 million special assessment. Holmes must surrender to custody on April 27, 2023. Holmes is expected to appeal.

Well, she is pregnant...

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2022, 11:20:25 pm »

even at a luxury hotel being locked up for parts of 11 years isn't going to be fun

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2022, 11:28:51 pm »

Well, she is pregnant...

Didn't know she was pregnant again. Guess that trick didn't work.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2022, 11:48:45 pm »

That means that she will probably be released in 5 (give or take) years.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2022, 12:04:26 am »
No parole for federal crime.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2022, 12:13:39 am »
    I'll have to take your word for that.  ;D

But I think that being pregnant will give her a free pass anyway.  Even after she delivers, I doubt the Feds will separate her and the child.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2022, 12:32:20 am »

Well, she is pregnant...

Didn't know she was pregnant again. Guess that trick didn't work.

when, neither "I'm a women", "my boyfriend forced me" , "I'm pregnant" works you know she screwed the wrong people ;)

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2022, 12:38:40 am »
But I think that being pregnant will give her a free pass anyway.  Even after she delivers, I doubt the Feds will separate her and the child.

They don't have a lot of room any more post-sentencing, leniency now has to happen in public during the court case. No longer at politically appointed parole boards long after the court case left the lime light. Don't do federal crime in the US if you're rich, only the president can help you any more now.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2022, 12:39:34 am »
What is really worrying is that none of the backers did any research or showed any due diligence of any sort. It's just not possible with such a tiny sample. The backers were stupid but you can't prosecute stupidity.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2022, 01:20:00 am »

That's pretty normal for non-violent crimes.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2022, 01:30:13 am »
What is really worrying is that none of the backers did any research or showed any due diligence of any sort. It's just not possible with such a tiny sample. The backers were stupid but you can't prosecute stupidity.

The brilliance of her scheme was that she sought out backers and a board that didn't have any subject matter knowledge.  I imagine some of those she approached realized they didn't know anything and consulted with people who did.  The remainder became the board members and investors.  The one that seems to be a worrisome anomaly is Walgreens, you'd think somebody there would know somebody who would know.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2022, 01:54:22 am »

The brilliance of her scheme was that she sought out backers and a board that didn't have any subject matter knowledge.

Hmm.  That in itself makes me think that from the very beginning this whole event was a conspiracy to defraud the investors.

I imagine some of those she approached realized they didn't know anything and consulted with people who did.  The remainder became the board members and investors.  The one that seems to be a worrisome anomaly is Walgreens, you'd think somebody there would know somebody who would know.

Not necessarily.  The current generation of Walgreens are probably far removed from the generation of Walgreens that made the company a success and the current generation probably doesn't know anything beyond how to be rich and spend money. But if anyone had the connections to the pharma industry and the experts that could tell them if Holmes' scheme had potential, it was them.

All of this reminds me of the Bernie Madoff and the Bernard Ebbers/WorldCom frauds.  Some investors did do their due diligence and knew that things didn't add up so they didn't invest. But most investors just saw $$$$ and didn't look any further. Those people should be in jail right along with the Madoff and Ebbers.

Going back to E Holmes, the thing that bothers me is that she claimed to have some NEW technology that would allow her to build machines that would do what she claimed but yet she had NOTHING to back that claim and yet people believed her!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 01:56:01 am by Stray Electron »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2022, 02:31:56 am »

They have to, she's been convicted and sentenced. Could win an appeal of course, and I'm sure they'll lean heavily on the baby angle. But otherwise she's going to prison  ;D

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2022, 02:33:37 am »

I do remember the same thing happening for the Big Battery guy who pirated thos Microsoft disks, and I think maybe Chris Boden from the Geek Group too?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2022, 02:36:11 am »
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/technology/elizabeth-holmes-sentence-theranos.html

Ms. Holmes will be assigned to a prison by the Federal Bureau of Prisons based on factors such as location, space, her lack of criminal history and the nonviolent nature of her crime. The minimum security prison nearest to Ms. Holmes’s residence in Woodside, Calif., is likely the Federal Correctional Institution in Dublin.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/CLUB-FED-Women-s-prison-in-Dublin-has-some-3003456.php

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2022, 05:00:01 am »
Wow, so she deliberately got pregnant to reduce her sentence?...What a nutjob.  I pity that child.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2022, 06:09:22 am »

I do remember the same thing happening for the Big Battery guy who pirated thos Microsoft disks, and I think maybe Chris Boden from the Geek Group too?

Yeah, it's pretty much to stop the jails getting overcrowded with people waiting for an opening to be available in a prison.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 06:14:19 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2022, 09:46:14 am »
Wow, so she deliberately got pregnant to reduce her sentence?...What a nutjob.  I pity that child.

Twice. She conveniently got pregent during the initial trial. This new kid is for the sentencing.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2022, 02:48:18 pm »
Too bad that Balwani cannot get pregnant   :box:
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf