Author Topic: Elizabeth Holmes convicted of fraud  (Read 48981 times)

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Elizabeth Holmes convicted of fraud
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2022, 08:55:51 am »
Is she already behind bars?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2022, 08:57:24 am »
AFAIK she's out on bail, pending sentencing.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
  • Amateur radio op; electronics dabbler
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2022, 06:14:04 pm »
Around 20 Years in jail.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61902378
Both Holmes, 38, and Balwani, 57, will be sentenced by a judge in the autumn. Holmes is facing *around 20 years in prison and is currently free on bail. Balwani also faces *up to 20 years in prison as well as millions of dollars in restitution payments to his victims.

*I wonder what the "Up to" and "around 20 years" will amount to?

Does that mean they could just be jailed for 20 years each but could be let out at any time inbetween the sentences?

It could mean that and it can mean that the judge (or jury in some cases) has the disgression to set a term up to but not exceeding 20 years or whatever maximum allowed by law.

Parole is a separate deal although the length of time served before eligible for parole or no chance for parole can be imposed at the time of sentencing.  I'm no lawyer nor involved in the system, this is just what I have gleaned over the years.
- Nate

The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2022, 11:08:49 pm »
Who'd've thought it - someone wanted to be just like Theranos. Literally.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/02/business/mark-schena-arrayit-fraud-theranos.html

Offline MrMobodiesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Convict Elizabeth Holmes seeks new trial
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2022, 11:48:14 am »
Is she already behind bars?
Sounds to me like she is running the court.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/06/theranos-founder-elizabeth-holmes-seeks-new-trial/
Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes seeks new trial over alleged regrets of key witness
By David Propper September 6, 2022 9:34pm  Updated

Disgraced Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes called for a new trial Tuesday after a key witness for prosecutors said “he had done something wrong” during his testimony against the convicted scam artist, her legal team alleged Tuesday. Holmes’ court filing claims former Theranos lab director Adam Rosendorff now regrets his role in helping convict her of charges that could land her behind bars for 20 years. She is currently free on bail before sentencing scheduled Oct. 17 in California.

Holmes, 38, was found guilty earlier this year of three counts of wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit fraud. Jurors determined she deliberately misled investors about the medical tech startup’s business and the effectiveness of its blood-testing machine. Rosendorff testified he continuously raised concerns about how accurate Theranos blood tests used by patients were while he was with the company in 2013 and 2014. But a 17-page legal brief describes a man who now might have second thoughts about his testimony.

On Aug. 8, Rosendorff went to Holmes’ home which she shares with partner William Evans according to the filing. He only saw Evans, who told him to leave, Holmes’ lawyers said. But before he left, Rosendorff told Evans “he tried to answer the questions honestly but that the prosecutors tried to make everyone look bad” and now believes “he had done something wrong,” while testifying, the filing alleges. Before that random visit, he left a voicemail for one of her lawyers asking to meet with Holmes, believing it could be “quite healing” for both of them, the filing states. Rosendorff’s testimony was referenced in prosecutors’ closing argument and by a federal judge when a motion to set aside the guilty verdict was rejected. Holmes’ lawyers have not been able to get additional thoughts from Rosendorff about his testimony for ethical reasons. A hearing might be held next month about whether a new trial should be set. 

Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes, center, and her parents, Noel Holmes, left, and Christian Holmes, leave the Robert F. Peckham Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in San Jose, Calif., on Thursday, Sept. 1, 2022.Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes and her parents, Noel Holmes and Christian Holmes, leave the Robert F. Peckham Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in San Jose, California on Sept. 1, 2022.
AP
While convicted of four counts, Holmes was also found not guilty by the same jury on charges of fraud and conspiracy against patients who used Theranos blood testing.

The Associated Press reached out to Rosendorff, who declined comment to them.

With Post wires

Joke: Is that a sad looking mum with an onion looking daughter that I see.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2022, 12:48:00 pm »
Not sure I understand the basis for requesting a retrial (other than any straw is worth clutching). The chap turns up and says he tried to answer the question honestly but feels bad about it and regrets doing so. But surely whether or not he feels bad is irrelevant - he admits that he answered honestly, and that's all that counts. In fact, that should make his testimony stronger!

Sounds like he's learning how to be a stalker.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, MrMobodies

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2022, 05:36:30 pm »
My cynical eye tells me he was promised something under the table to throw sand into the gears of the process. My fair eye says he was honest but didn't know where his answers would lead. Now that he saw the consequences, he regrets making his friend (?) look bad.

All in all, what a circus.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2022, 11:52:37 pm »

All in all, what a circus.

That's how celebrity trials in the US are run.  Shades of Johnny Cockran shouting in court "If the glove doesn't fit, you MUST acquit!

I'll just point out that here in the US, the prosecution always gets to question the witness and present evidence FIRST and the defense gets to question them afterwards and always has the final word in questioning witnesses and the final opportunity to present or to repudiate evidence.  SO if the witness thought his testimony was misunderstood or somehow twisted by the prosecution, then the defense had their opportunity to question him and to present that argument during the trial. Since they evidently didn't do that then I have to believe that despite his regrets, nothing that he could or would have said (short of perjury) would have changed the legal arguments or the verdict in the trial.

• Super Contributor
Re: Elizabeth Holmes delaying tactics?
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2022, 08:04:08 pm »
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/elizabeth-holmes-sentencing-delayed-again
Elizabeth Holmes Sentencing for Theranos Fraud Postponed (1)
Oct. 3, 2022, 7:22 PM

Elizabeth Holmes’s prison sentencing was delayed because the judge overseeing the Theranos Inc. fraud case is probing whether a key government witness gave truthful testimony at trial after her lawyers said he voiced misgivings during a recent visit to her home.

If wasn't intentional she seems to have a lot going for her.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2022, 08:16:19 pm »
It hasn't been pointed out yet: She's the daughter of an Enron exec.  Possibly inherited the psychopathy.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, HighVoltage, MrMobodies

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2022, 01:45:32 am »
It hasn't been pointed out yet: She's the daughter of an Enron exec.  Possibly inherited the psychopathy.

Really? That's some plot twist!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2022, 03:32:50 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Holmes
Her father, Christian Rasmus Holmes IV, was a vice president at Enron, an energy company that later went bankrupt after an accounting fraud scandal.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/elizabeth-holmess-dad-once-linked-152150716.html
Naledi Ushe March 9, 2022·2 min read

So, what was Christian IV's role? Elizabeth's father was a former Enron vice president, according to Forbes. It's unclear what sector of Enron he oversaw.

Christian IV went on to work at the United States Agency for International Development, where he led the company's global water supply and sanitation programs, according to his LinkedIn profile. Currently, he has been the senior advisor at the The Boston Consulting Group since February 2017, his page states with no mention of Enron.

...and that smirk

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2022, 03:55:31 am »
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Still more males presented to foot the blame for this.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:57:28 am by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2022, 05:53:42 am »
Women are made of pure conformism so nothing is ever their fault.
Feminists talk about it all the time and yet the Patriarchy refuses to believe women.
The Patriarchy hurts men as much as it hurts women, again.

Something like that ;D

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2022, 06:02:24 am »
Women are made of pure conformism so nothing is ever their fault.
Feminists talk about it all the time and yet the Patriarchy refuses to believe women.
The Patriarchy hurts men as much as it hurts women, again.

Something like that ;D

Yet, none of the men how lost coin or lost their shareholders coin due to their own negligence or diligence have managed to accept any responsibility.
iratus parum formica

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2022, 08:40:53 am »
Yet, none of the men how lost coin or lost their shareholders coin due to their own negligence or diligence have managed to accept any responsibility.

That's not how the game is played.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2022, 09:51:50 am »

That's not how the game is played.

I know. Just me pointing out the stinking obvious.
 :)
iratus parum formica

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2022, 10:12:40 am »
Something about the way Holmes looks into cameras, or at people, is unnerving.  It's as if every expression is pained or calculated - there's no natural expression there.  I don't think I've seen a single picture of her where she's even slightly grumpy looking, despite the fact she's facing 20 years.  It's all very unsettling.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2022, 03:53:03 am »
It's a facial expression that's similar to that of Mark Zuckerberg, with eyes wide open all the time with very little blinking.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2022, 05:17:26 pm »
She appears to be a very lucky person with getting away with things and I think she might just wriggle out of this one with whatever help she seems to be getting from the outside.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63140536
Elizabeth Holmes: Theranos founder gets hearing on new trial
Published 12 hours ago By Peter Hoskins Business reporter

Sentencing of former Theranos boss Elizabeth Holmes has been delayed as a judge considers whether the testimony of a key witness in her high-profile trial was truthful. Holmes requested a new trial after claiming that federal prosecutors presented misleading evidence.

She was convicted in January on four of 11 counts of defrauding investors in the blood-testing firm. The decision marks the latest twist in a case that has gripped Silicon Valley. Holmes entered the "motion for a new trial based on newly discovered evidence" regarding former Theranos laboratory director Adam Rosendorff, court papers showed. Holmes' lawyers said that Mr Rosendorff appeared at her home in August to express regret over his testimony in the trial.

This latest development comes after her lawyers last month failed in an attempt to get the conviction overturned. Holmes, who is currently free on bail, had been due to be sentenced on 17 October. In January, a jury found Holmes guilty of defrauding investors after a months-long landmark trial in California. Jurors found her guilty of conspiracy to commit fraud against investors and three charges of wire fraud. She denied the charges.

Prosecutors said Holmes knowingly lied about technology that she said could detect diseases such as cancer and diabetes with a few drops of blood. The firm promised that it would revolutionise the healthcare industry with the test. But these claims began to unravel in 2015 after a Wall Street Journal investigation reported that its core blood-testing technology did not work.

Her ex-boyfriend and former Theranos President Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani was found guilty in July on similar counts, as well as defrauding patients. He is scheduled to be sentenced next month. Theranos was once the darling of biotech and Silicon Valley, valued at $9bn (£7.9bn) at its peak. Holmes was able to raise more than $900m from billionaires, including media magnate Rupert Murdoch and technology mogul Larry Ellison.[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 05:27:41 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2022, 05:28:48 pm »
It's a facial expression that's similar to that of Mark Zuckerberg, with eyes wide open all the time with very little blinking.
She reminds me more of Margaret Thatcher. Everything about her seems to have been trained into her, to suppress her actual nature. Her low authoritative sounding voice, that keeps tilting in pitch and confusing people (i.e. she seems to get interrupted a low). Her mannerisms. Pretty much everything about her outward appearance seems as fake as a TikTok model.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2022, 05:49:00 pm »
She has Sanpaku eyes

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2022, 01:06:29 am »
I read today that she's asking for 18 months of house arrest instead of a [maximum] possible 80 year jail sentence.  I wonder if she said "Pwetty pwease mister big stwong judgey man."

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2022, 05:16:05 am »
She reminds me more of Margaret Thatcher. Everything about her seems to have been trained into her, to suppress her actual nature. Her low authoritative sounding voice, that keeps tilting in pitch and confusing people (i.e. she seems to get interrupted a low). Her mannerisms. Pretty much everything about her outward appearance seems as fake as a TikTok model.

Can you explain this more? Maggie was a lot of things but we knew where we stood with her. I remember as being anything but fake or deceptive, just staunch AF.
iratus parum formica

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2022, 09:32:18 am »

Can you explain this more? Maggie was a lot of things but we knew where we stood with her. I remember as being anything but fake or deceptive, just staunch AF.

Milk Snatcher had voice training to lower her voice to make her sound more authoritative. As for being fake or deceptive, she destroyed the mass manufacturing industries in this country, and got the workers to vote for it. Pretty sure that counts.

NB: Not saying she did it single handed, she had help from incompetent and corrupt union leaders, but she was the driving force.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf