Author Topic: Elizabeth Holmes convicted of fraud  (Read 49200 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Elizabeth Holmes convicted of fraud
« Reply #351 on: May 17, 2023, 03:17:25 am »
Who's next? ;D

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #353 on: May 17, 2023, 03:53:35 am »
Wow, I wasn't expecting that!  Good job.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #354 on: May 17, 2023, 04:36:19 am »
"U.S. District Judge Edward Davila concluded that even if Holmes won her appeal to challenge the Theranos technology evidence, it wouldn't result in a reversal or a new trial of all the counts she was found guilty of."

Uh you ain't innocent lol

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #355 on: May 17, 2023, 06:07:39 am »
No one's innocent.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #356 on: May 17, 2023, 07:24:15 am »
She's going in!  :clap:
https://www.reuters.com/legal/court-denies-elizabeth-holmes-request-remain-free-while-appealing-conviction-2023-05-17/

She ain't there yet.

Don't know why they don't just put her straight away - it is past her due date, after all. Instead, she is still out while they arrange another date with destiny, and while her legal people dream up another gotcha.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #357 on: May 17, 2023, 08:42:45 am »
and while her legal people dream up another gotcha.

More moves than Fred Astaire.
iratus parum formica

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #358 on: May 17, 2023, 10:19:37 am »
She ain't there yet.
Don't know why they don't just put her straight away - it is past her due date, after all. Instead, she is still out while they arrange another date with destiny, and while her legal people dream up another gotcha.

Yeah, it's just a stupid waste of everyone time. Appeal failed, "bailiff, take the accused into custody." Call the van.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #359 on: May 17, 2023, 11:00:12 am »
Perhaps to give time for her to get pregnant again?  :palm:

With such corruption in the justice system in certain areas of US, I wouldn't be surprised the defense team is stonewalling the decision or trying to get some sort of deal.

As we say in Brasil: To my friends, anything. To my enemies, the heavy hand of the law!
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #360 on: May 17, 2023, 01:44:44 pm »
Her only option now is an appeal to the Supreme Court, and it’s extremely unlikely they’d agree to hear the case.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #361 on: May 17, 2023, 01:47:32 pm »
Her 3 mo. old daughter's name Invicta, Latin for “invincible,” or “undefeated”  :palm:
The second ruling "U.S. District Judge Edward Davila ordered Holmes to pay $452 million in restitution to the victims of her crimes. " {I think it's joint with Balwani}
She's also gotta pay now, might have money problems paying the armada of lawyers.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #362 on: May 17, 2023, 02:41:24 pm »
Her 3 mo. old daughter's name Invicta, Latin for “invincible,” or “undefeated”  :palm:
The second ruling "U.S. District Judge Edward Davila ordered Holmes to pay $452 million in restitution to the victims of her crimes. " {I think it's joint with Balwani}
She's also gotta pay now, might have money problems paying the armada of lawyers.

Jointly liable as well.  So they both have to pay, if one can't pay the other has to cover the full amount.  Realistically though she will have zero assets.  She is staying freely in her partner's house, so they can't touch that, she will be paying lawyers on contingency, legal fees probably secured against the house too, I doubt she owns more than her phone and her clothes.  So what do they do?

Also, I'd really hope this outcome causes VCs to take a step back and investigate more thoroughly before throwing money into obvious scams, see also: uBeam.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #363 on: May 17, 2023, 05:05:38 pm »
I doubt she owns more than her phone and her clothes.  So what do they do?
I  know what I would do :D

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #364 on: May 17, 2023, 05:22:05 pm »
I take "victims of her crime" are those idiots who rushed to buy shares back then?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #365 on: May 17, 2023, 05:44:14 pm »
I take "victims of her crime" are those idiots who rushed to buy shares back then?

Maybe the patients that were given false hope?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #366 on: May 17, 2023, 06:38:38 pm »

Ok man of much hindsight what made them idots to invest in a new exciting firm that was working on a product that may well have changed the way people get diagnosed for illnesses if it had worked, oh and if you invest early enough you could make millions. Just look at how some of the biggest companies started and they had just as weak ideas about how they would make money, from an American firm selling electric cars to one wanting to rent videos and dvds via the post.

Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #367 on: May 17, 2023, 06:51:03 pm »

Based on the Reuters article
The victims’ losses occurred at the moment they exchanged their money for Theranos shares,” the judge said.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #368 on: May 17, 2023, 07:09:19 pm »
Ok man of much hindsight what made them idots to invest in a new exciting firm that was working on a product that may well have changed the way people get diagnosed for illnesses if it had worked, oh and if you invest early enough you could make millions.
Theranos's (sounds like Thanos) investors were so-called "qualified investors", not average Joes. That means they bear the responsibility to do their own due diligence on investments they make. Holmes committed fraud by deceiving investors, public customers, and affiliates like Walgreens about her company's technology. But the investors were not innocents.

Just look at how some of the biggest companies started and they had just as weak ideas about how they would make money, from an American firm selling electric cars to one wanting to rent videos and dvds via the post.
Neither of those were "weak ideas". A long path to profitability is not a bad or fraudulent business model.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Online .RC.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2023, 09:37:40 pm »
Holmes committed fraud by deceiving investors, public customers, and affiliates like Walgreens about her company's technology.

Sounds like all the hallmarks of a great career in politics.   :D

But it is ludicrous the way one person tells a heap of lies to get money out of people, and that is OK.   Yet others get the book thrown at them. There is no consistency seemingly anywhere in the world when it comes to fraud convictions.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #370 on: May 17, 2023, 10:33:07 pm »

Based on the Reuters article
The victims’ losses occurred at the moment they exchanged their money for Theranos shares,” the judge said.

I think the judge is saying they were scammed from the off. Like if you buy a new car that turns out to be a cut'n'shut job, you lost your money at the moment you handed it over. As opposed to it being possibly OK and  then greed took over down the line to make an otherwise OK deal worthless.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #371 on: May 17, 2023, 10:36:30 pm »
But it is ludicrous the way one person tells a heap of lies to get money out of people, and that is OK.   Yet others get the book thrown at them. There is no consistency seemingly anywhere in the world when it comes to fraud convictions.

You just need to know the right people and have them by the balls.
She didn't.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #372 on: May 17, 2023, 11:36:36 pm »
May 30th at 2:00pm -- that's when she's been ordered to report to prison.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodiesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #373 on: May 18, 2023, 04:59:55 pm »
She's going in!  :clap:
https://www.reuters.com/legal/court-denies-elizabeth-holmes-request-remain-free-while-appealing-conviction-2023-05-17/
Excellent just when I thought nothing would happen.

Holmes, who rose to fame after claiming Theranos' small machines could run an array of diagnostic tests
Joke: Maybe the shareholders should have run their own "diagnostic tests" on her from the beginning before paying their way in.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 05:01:39 pm by MrMobodies »

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #374 on: May 18, 2023, 05:17:10 pm »
During the trial she was on the witness stand.
Did she keep her deep voice or did it fall back to "normal" ?
I don't think there are any videos of her from inside the courtroom.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf