Author Topic: Elizabeth Holmes to seek mental disease/insanity  (Read 11387 times)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: Elizabeth Holmes to seek mental disease/insanity
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2021, 06:31:37 am »
https://www.theonion.com/elizabeth-holmes-arrives-to-trial-with-prototype-for-bl-1847584107

Ehm..exuse me? Can someone educate me on the 150% piece of it.

the Darrow, as we’ve named the device after famed lawyer Clarence Darrow, is able to render the correct verdict with over 150% more accuracy than a typical legal trial.

Did you just eat The Onion?
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2021, 03:08:01 pm »
Still wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting tho!!

Ladies with deep, gravelly voices aren't my thing. Not since...
Well, lets just say what happened in Soho stays in Soho.
I've never heard of her until reading this thread, yet I live under a rock, so had to Google her. I don't care how pretty she is, I wouldn't go to bed with a con artist, because I don't trust her not to scam me in some way.

Offline MrMobodiesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2021, 04:45:43 pm »
At press time, the judge had invited Holmes to inform him how he could get in on the ground floor of the legal black box project, saying he had some cash saved up to invest.

It looks to me like the judge has become corrupted and should be replaced swapped over.

I thought judges are not suppose to take sides and invest in ventures under investigation/trial in court.

Just found this, Alexander Martin at Sky news is referring to her as a  "hero".

https://news.sky.com/story/elizabeth-holmes-trial-begins-the-downfall-of-the-silicon-valley-medical-hero-who-founded-theranos-12396482
Elizabeth Holmes trial begins: The downfall of the Silicon Valley medical hero who founded Theranos

I don't understand how they are classing her as a "hero" especially with the flawed blood testing results.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 05:45:49 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2021, 05:40:47 pm »
At press time, the judge had invited Holmes to inform him how he could get in on the ground floor of the legal black box project, saying he had some cash saved up to invest.

It looks to me like the judge has become corrupted and should be replaced swapped over.

I thought judges are not suppose to take sides and invest in ventures under investigation/trial in court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion

Offline MrMobodiesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2021, 05:44:55 pm »

The Onion is an American satirical digital media company and newspaper organization
The Onion's articles cover current events, both real and fictional

Oops.

My mistake sorry about that.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2021, 06:14:55 am »
I found out today there is a podcast created to follow this case. The podcast is called "The Dropout". I searched on "podcast Holmes dropout".

I saw the news here. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/elizabeth-holmes-trial-over-alleged-fraudulent-blood-testing-technology-begins

I haven't listened to the podcast yet. So not recommending it. Just lettin' you know.

Might be a good time to get the book out for a read. https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Blood-Secrets-Silicon-Startup/dp/152473165X

PS There is also the other "Holmes" podcast which I can recommend. http://sherlockpodcast.com/

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2021, 06:36:43 am »
Since when was it up to the crook to decide how they are prosecuted?

I hear that, down under, the crook are prosecuted with medicine and a fortnight of bed rest.  :P

Just came to say that I immensely appreciate you having used the word "crook" - I appreciate our great English language, there's too many dumbed-down versions of it these days. Love these words.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2021, 07:10:59 am »

The Onion is an American satirical digital media company and newspaper organization

Oops.

I can't blame you for being confused here - the world is catching up to The Onion. I'm guessing The Onion is actually having problems coming up with things more absurd than what happens in the real world.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies, magic

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2021, 08:32:13 am »

Oops.

I can't blame you for being confused here - the world is catching up to The Onion. I'm guessing The Onion is actually having problems coming up with things more absurd than what happens in the real world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2021, 12:57:12 pm »
No, it really is what one Eric Raymond (in different circumstances) dubbed Poe's Law Singularity - reality is becoming so absurd that the differences from satire simply disappear.

No one is even surprised by some American coming up with a device rendering verdicts more accurate that the court, it's only the 150% thing which reaches beyond the usual claims coming from Silicon Valley inventors.

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2021, 08:03:05 pm »
It seems the situation does not look good for Betsy:

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2021, 09:04:01 pm »
I'm just guessing, AFIK her product didn't work properly, BUT could be improved.

Following the same logic, Bill Gates and other Microsoft staff should be in Jail since Windows 95, that crap never worked well.  (the same for other silicon valley companies, even in electronics field)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2021, 12:57:50 am »
I'm just guessing, AFIK her product didn't work properly, BUT could be improved.

Following the same logic, Bill Gates and other Microsoft staff should be in Jail since Windows 95, that crap never worked well.  (the same for other silicon valley companies, even in electronics field)

Customers are allowed to be deceived. Investors are not. Apparently.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2021, 02:41:54 am »

Customers are allowed to be deceived. Investors are not. Apparently.
Medical is radically different than computing - not only much more regulated, but much older industry with immensely powerful people. This certainly played a large role in fueling investors to pressure the feds to run this to the ground. Among the issues are fraud against the FDA officials and potentially causing problems to real patients due to bad test results.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2021, 03:49:09 am »
In medical it surely helps to work like those whatever-their-name water testing guys: operate your startup in one country, sell your dodgy products elsewhere :-+

Offline passedpawn

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2021, 04:50:50 am »
Read that book Bad Blood.  I zipped through it a few years ago when it came out, quite a page-turner.  Holmes is quite guilty of fraud, and Sunny (her boyfriend) is equally culpable. 

Online cgroen

• Supporter
    • Carstens personal web
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2021, 08:00:03 am »

Really ?  |O

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2021, 08:24:37 am »
This is legal, because unlike medical products, software is not supposed to work ;)
Read the long list of warranty disclaimers in any EULA you click through.

edit
From Windows 8 EULA I found somewhere on the net:
Microsoft warrants that properly licensed software will perform substantially as described in any Microsoft materials that accompany the software.
[...]
If you have any basis for recovering damages from Microsoft, you can recover only direct damages up to the amount that you paid for the software. You may not recover any other damages, including consequential, lost profits, special, indirect, or incidental damages. The damage exclusions and limitations in this agreement apply even if repair, replacement or a refund for the software does not fully compensate you for any losses or if Microsoft knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages. Some states and countries do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental, consequential, or other damages, so those limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. If your local law allows you to recover other damages from Microsoft even though we do not, you cannot recover more than you paid for the software.
That's not exactly how things work in critical industries. If somebody dies because your product reboots due to a Windows crash, you will be on the hook for the death and Microsoft may or may not refund you the price you paid for Windows.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:41:01 am by magic »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2021, 11:05:59 am »
This is legal, because unlike medical products, software is not supposed to work ;)
Read the long list of warranty disclaimers in any EULA you click through.

edit
From Windows 8 EULA I found somewhere on the net:
Microsoft warrants that properly licensed software will perform substantially as described in any Microsoft materials that accompany the software.
[...]
If you have any basis for recovering damages from Microsoft, you can recover only direct damages up to the amount that you paid for the software. You may not recover any other damages, including consequential, lost profits, special, indirect, or incidental damages. The damage exclusions and limitations in this agreement apply even if repair, replacement or a refund for the software does not fully compensate you for any losses or if Microsoft knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages. Some states and countries do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental, consequential, or other damages, so those limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. If your local law allows you to recover other damages from Microsoft even though we do not, you cannot recover more than you paid for the software.
That's not exactly how things work in critical industries. If somebody dies because your product reboots due to a Windows crash, you will be on the hook for the death and Microsoft may or may not refund you the price you paid for Windows.
Hey, this is more than the compensation in case a vaccine causes you harm. In some cases, even the pharmaceutical industry and the government will accept a leeway in their "golden standards" if the compensation is high enough and the right strings are pulled - these guys just didn't have enough clout to get their game together.

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2021, 11:47:03 am »
Since when was it up to the crook to decide how they are prosecuted?

I hear that, down under, the crook are prosecuted with medicine and a fortnight of bed rest.  :P

Just came to say that I immensely appreciate you having used the word "crook" - I appreciate our great English language, there's too many dumbed-down versions of it these days. Love these words.

Better be careful on NextDoor - believe it or not, you can't use harsh words in reference to criminals!  Their guidelines prohibit "... the use of derogatory language to refer to people who have a criminal history (e.g., "scum" or "animals")."

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2021, 12:10:59 pm »
Read that book Bad Blood.  I zipped through it a few years ago when it came out, quite a page-turner.  Holmes is quite guilty of fraud, and Sunny (her boyfriend) is equally culpable.
I'm reading it now. It is a page-turner. There has to be a movie made about this. You couldn't make it up.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2021, 06:38:21 pm »
Still wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting tho!!

Ladies with deep, gravelly voices aren't my thing. Not since...
Well, lets just say what happened in Soho stays in Soho.

El-Oh-El-Ay Lola

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2021, 07:46:02 am »
I came across another podcast by the WSJ reporter John Carreyrou who wrote the book. He narrates the podcast and it is the better of the two I am following. It is called Bad Blood: The Final Chapter and takes the story beyond where the book left off.

In the episode Guilty Conscience it is revealed that EH wrote in an email to herself "really smart people picked off mado, not you". It is a bit cryptic and not revealed what is meant by mado. But does it refer to Bernie Madoff? Is it an admission she knew?

I do recommend it to those interested in the story of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.
https://www.threeuncannyfour.com/show/bad-blood/

Offline oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2022, 12:36:41 am »
SAN JOSE, Calif., Jan 3 (Reuters) - A U.S. jury on Monday found Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes guilty of conspiring to defraud investors in the blood testing startup. Holmes was convicted on four of 11 counts.
She was acquitted on four counts and the jury could not reach a decision on three counts.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-jury-theranos-trial-cannot-agree-verdicts-all-charges-2022-01-03/

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2022, 01:00:32 am »
That is interesting. I'd be curious to see the details. "Conspiring to defraud investors" usually requires making use of one's particular influence, network, credibility, etc, to persuade others to invest (in other words, having some position of power and authority), and as I already mentioned (I know many did not agree), I'm wondering how and where her influence could come from, because to me, she had neither power (at the beginning at least) nor authority, so I'm still very curious how this was determined that she was able to defraud seasoned investors on her own.

Not saying she didn't deserve it, eh. Just still really curious about this particular point. I don't doubt she's a bit nuts and maybe "evil" too, but being nuts is usually not enough to gain power, authority and credibility.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf