Author Topic: Elon Musk can stick his submarine where it hurts  (Read 27194 times)

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • I like vacuum tubes. Electrons exist, holes don't.
Re: Elon Musk can stick his submarine where it hurts
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2018, 02:22:46 pm »
I'm not the one talking for humanity or planning out the Space Future Of The Species (tm) with a Sharpie on a wall-mounted Gantt chart.
Right, you are sitting on the chair and do nothing other than criticizing people who actually move humanity forward. Isn't it a bit hypocritical? If Elon did not have this businesses, he would not have big money in the first place.

You didn't answer how electric cars for a tiny minority address progress for HUMANITY (7.5 BILLION) when a lot of people don't even have sewage systems?

I'm not the one talking for the whole species here.

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2018, 02:25:46 pm »
You can't altogether avoid pollution of some sort. The question is of reduction. If you have a proof that solar pollutes more than fossil fuels - please share the data. You arent't proposing anything reasonable, neither are you talking for humanity. Beyond the petty insults, what exactly do you do?

Yes, you're right, colonizing space is the reasonable proposition. How silly that I didn't see it before!

Thanks for making me understand. Can I subscribe to your newsletter, maybe set up a sidewalk stand so I can yell at people and hand out rocket leaflets?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2018, 02:25:56 pm »
You didn't answer how electric cars for a tiny minority address progress for HUMANITY (7.5 BILLION) when a lot of people don't even have sewage systems?

Than why are you not fixing that to your ability if you have such high morals?

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2018, 02:39:16 pm »

Than why are you not fixing that to your ability if you have such high morals?

Shifting goalposts. YOU are the ones with the "high morals" of speaking for Humanity while beating your meat to rocket pictures. How does THAT help poor Africans? It doesn't, it just makes YOU feel good while YOU do nothing.

You don't know what I do or contribute to, because unlike you lot of space-on-the-brain puerile dreamers, I *DO*, I don't *talk*.

I used to be a Space Nutter just like you guys. When I was young. Part of growing up is realizing that limits exist and fairy tales are just fairy tales.

I recognize word for word the same exact drivel and Future Of Humanity(tm) and Space Catastrophe(c) nonsense I spewed decades ago. The painful truth of it is that it's a religion.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/03/the-holy-cosmos-the-new-religion-of-space-exploration/255136/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cosmism

It's all nonsense. It hurts to grow up but that's reality. It's just you and me right here on this planet. You will die here, your children will die here, their children will die. No one is going anywhere. Not now, not ever.

It's done. Deal with it.

Offline gore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2018, 02:53:27 pm »
I'm not the one talking for humanity or planning out the Space Future Of The Species (tm) with a Sharpie on a wall-mounted Gantt chart.
Right, you are sitting on the chair and do nothing other than criticizing people who actually move humanity forward. Isn't it a bit hypocritical? If Elon did not have this businesses, he would not have big money in the first place.

A tiny minority can, and in this case will, turn into a vast majority.  It's just the beginning for EV's. Transition from fossil to solar takes time. Do you honestly expect it to happen overnight. What about computers? Did we all start with billions of them overnight? Perhaps they don't have sewage systems yet because of a closed mindset, such as yours. A mindset of complaining and not doing a damn thing about anything. Judging by your reply #128, this is my last response to you. It's too ridiculous to be taken seriously and it's not even close to being funny as a joke.

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2018, 03:01:40 pm »

A tiny minority can, and in this case will, turn into a vast majority.  It's just the beginning for EV's. Transition from fossil to solar takes time. Do you honestly expect it to happen overnight. What about computers? Did we all start with billions of them overnight? Perhaps they don't have sewage systems yet because of a closed mindset, such as yours. A mindset of complaining and not doing a damn thing about anything. Judging by your reply #128, this is my last response to you. It's too ridiculous to be taken seriously and it's not even close to being funny as a joke.

You are the one complaining about Protecting Humanity Against Space Catastrophes. Are you building a rocket?

By your own standards, you are complaining and doing nothing. Are you building solar panels? Electric cars?

You are ridiculous. One day, you'll look back at your nonsense with 20-30 years of extra life and laugh your ass off.

Online BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2018, 03:08:33 pm »
The saga is far from  being over. I knew this so called visionary is insane. You can tell that by just how he talks.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2018/07/17/elon-musks-social-media-conduct-may-be-bad-for-his-business.html
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2018, 03:13:23 pm »
While I find Elon Musk's words regrettable, I also feel the criticism that the sub idea would never have worked rather inappropriate and totally uncalled for.
... Would the sub have worked?  Maybe, maybe not.  We will never know, but I would like to think that development would continue to produce something that might prove useful in the future.
As someone who has spent quite a lot of time underground and also a small time around cave divers I think the solution that was used is far more practical than the Musk suggestion, indeed in the promotional video it is a huge and rigid tube.  It is not unusual for a cave diver to have to remove and push their all equipment ahead of them through constrictions, it's tight and all in zero viz.  During my caving days, many decades ago, cave diver mortality rates were very high; it is ridiculously risky. Having a sedated casualty effectively wrapped in a flexible stretcher would make them far more bendy for the constrictions.  IMHO I think the cave diver suggestion as to the use of the Musk tube was highly appropriate.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2018, 03:22:55 pm »
Shifting goalposts. YOU are the ones with the "high morals" of speaking for Humanity while beating your meat to rocket pictures. How does THAT help poor Africans? It doesn't, it just makes YOU feel good while YOU do nothing.

You don't know what I do or contribute to, because unlike you lot of space-on-the-brain puerile dreamers, I *DO*, I don't *talk*.

I used to be a Space Nutter just like you guys. When I was young. Part of growing up is realizing that limits exist and fairy tales are just fairy tales.

I recognize word for word the same exact drivel and Future Of Humanity(tm) and Space Catastrophe(c) nonsense I spewed decades ago. The painful truth of it is that it's a religion.
No it's you. I'm happy for every little thing that makes world better one way or another. It's you who demand to abandon everything and save poor Africans. That's why I ask what have you done to have a moral high ground to demand others improving the world your way?
BTW I don't feel any moral obligation to help Africans. People should build their well being themselves. If somebody helps, it's a good will, not obligation.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:35:33 pm by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline gore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2018, 03:28:57 pm »
The saga is far from  being over. I knew this so called visionary is insane. You can tell that by just how he talks.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2018/07/17/elon-musks-social-media-conduct-may-be-bad-for-his-business.html

By your standards nearly everyone I know is insane, because people do say a lot of silly things in private, and public, for that matter. The difference is not every person is scrutinized the way Elon Musk is. That being said, if I was Musk, I'd avoid getting involved in twitter drama wars. Nothing good seems to come out of it.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2018, 03:47:32 pm »
"According to the chairman of the government’s top transportation safety investigation agency, Musk hung up the phone on him during a conversation they had on April 11. The National Transportation Safety Board was investigating the March 23 crash of a Tesla Model X in Mountain View, Calif., whose autopilot function may have steered the car into a road barrier, smashing the front of the car and setting fire to its battery. The driver was killed.

The NTSB had asked Tesla not to make statements about the accident while it was being investigated. But the company posted an item on its blog that seemed to cast blame on the driver, Apple engineer Walter Huang. NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt was asking Musk about that on the call."

Eat this: killed dozens already, but never ever the autopilot's fault.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2018, 04:20:06 pm »

A lot of really bright people are to some degree. Tesla himself was off his rocker, especially later in life, but one can't deny he did come up with some brilliant concepts, along side some nutty ones.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2018, 12:28:28 am »
Unsworth can actually sue Musk for calling him pedo! Libel and slander! :popcorn:
Actually I don't think it would fly in court. Musk did not explicitly say that Unsworth is pedo guy. In one of his tweets he just said "sorry pedo guy", whoever it was.

Well you failed again Wraper Musk now confess it was Unsworth! :popcorn:
In US courts the most amazing things have happend and can happen  when one lest expect it! :scared:
I dont mind Musk or who else do a sub to try save some kids.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 12:57:51 am by MT »

• Super Contributor
  • !
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2018, 12:38:39 am »
Now Musk is trying to twist Unsworts saying quote;
My words were spoken in anger after Mr Unsworth said several untruths & suggested I engage in a sexual act with the mini-sub,

As a typical britton Unsworth obviously meant that Musks should shovel the sub up his own arse. Minisubs up in arse is
not sexual act its an expression of some one else faulty PR situation.   ^-^

Musik is clearly trying to avoid a court thing! 10euro that they settle out of court!
Shame upon his highness glory Musk the dusk!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:17:09 am by MT »

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2018, 01:05:55 am »

Oboy! Musk have really engaged himself into crap, just as in his Paypal days!

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2018, 01:20:42 am »
As a typical britton Unsworth obviously meant that Musks should shovel the sub up his own arse. Minisubs up in arse is
not sexual act its an expression of some one else faulty PR situation.   ^-^
FYI it's exactly the place where some people put long round objects for sexual pleasure.

• Super Contributor
  • !

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2018, 01:47:54 am »
Oboy! Musk have really engaged himself into crap, just as in his Paypal days!

You mean when he was pestering paypal's developer, wanting to migrate everything from Linux to Windozes?

BTW an important FYI for his fanboys:
PayPal was established in December 1998 as Confinity,[12] a company that developed security software for handheld devices[13] founded by Max Levchin, Peter Thiel, Luke Nosek, and Ken Howery.[12][14] PayPal was developed and launched as a money transfer service at Confinity in 1999, funded by John Malloy from BlueRun Ventures
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPal#History

Stop pretending always and everywhere that Musk created/funded PayPal! Neither PayPal nor Tesla Motors! Spread the word.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:48:33 am by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2018, 02:18:41 am »

Whataboutism isn't an argument. An argument from age or authority is also a fallacy and not actually an argument. Let's keep the discussion civil by following proper discussion etiquette.

Besides, you seem to ignore that a small part of the world's inhabitants causes a large part of the pollution. All suffer for it, toiletless people included.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2018, 02:19:41 am »
You mean when he was pestering paypal's developer wanting to migrate everything from Linux to Windozes?

BTW an important FYI for his fanboys:
PayPal was established in December 1998 as Confinity,[12] a company that developed security software for handheld devices[13] founded by Max Levchin, Peter Thiel, Luke Nosek, and Ken Howery.[12][14] PayPal was developed and launched as a money transfer service at Confinity in 1999, funded by John Malloy from BlueRun Ventures
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPal#History

Stop pretending always and everywhere that Musk created/funded PayPal! Neither PayPal nor Tesla Motors! Spread the word.
I have to ask, George. What's your personal beef with Musk?

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2018, 02:29:27 am »
None, it's with the fanboys only. He's brilliant and smart (quite often a liar too). But the fanboys are like these:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:23:27 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2018, 03:15:33 am »
It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so obsessed with Musk. I’m sure there are Musk fan boys out there but what I see mostly on the intertubes is a whole lot of people who seem to emote constant Musk hate. It’s very cult like.

Some of it seems to be political - since certain politicos are obsessed wih tearing down anything to do with EVs or solar PV (why should energy or the environment be political anyways?)  On some websites it is very clearly financiallly motivated with the many people shorting TSLA.

In the end, Musk is full of flaws like all humans but his achievements and 20 billion net worth must really get the haters knickers in a knot...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2018, 04:44:23 am »
I feel no particular love or hate for the guy. He has accomplished some truly impressive things, and he has pushed a few rather goofy ideas. As far as wealthy CEO types go though I really can't say he bothers me particularly, I don't understand the fixation some have.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2018, 05:29:30 am »
I feel no particular love or hate for the guy. He has accomplished some truly impressive things, and he has pushed a few rather goofy ideas. As far as wealthy CEO types go though I really can't say he bothers me particularly, I don't understand the fixation some have.

I feel the same. I find some of his qualities admirable but others not so much - just like most humans. I save my disdain for politicians, Wall St. bankers and lesser knowm CEOs of some truly evil corporations.

I suppose it is our societies current fixation with the “cult of personality” combined with social media that leads so many to devote so much energy into publicly expressing their love or hate for celebrities- be it Kim Kardashian or Elon Musk.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf