Author Topic: Elon Musk can stick his submarine where it hurts  (Read 27154 times)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Elon Musk can stick his submarine where it hurts
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2018, 10:21:27 am »
I'm quite a bit dubious about Elon.

We have seen so many "entrepreneurs" rise to great heights & then sink into ignominy in Australia, so tend to expect this of all the current business cult heroes throughout the world.

Billionaire worship is not naturally part of Australian culture, as it is in the USA.
Most of us know that a few "succeeding" doesn't mean we all can, so the much derided "tall poppy syndrome" exists.
My feeling is that it is a symbol of clearheadedness, rather than a bad thing.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2018, 11:20:35 am »
As a typical britton Unsworth obviously meant that Musks should shovel the sub up his own arse. Minisubs up in arse is
not sexual act its an expression of some one else faulty PR situation.   ^-^
FYI it's exactly the place where some people put long round objects for sexual pleasure.

The point here is the size of the minisub! ;D

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2018, 11:23:28 am »
You mean when he was pestering paypal's developer, wanting to migrate everything from Linux to Windozes?

So he managed that to!That was news to me!

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2018, 04:21:17 pm »
Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in thread but apparently there is a "pinch" point in the cave system about 34 cm across, where kids and divers would have to remove their backpacks/tanks to make it through. The sub will probably not pass through that constriction.

Anyways, it was an amazing rescue operation and kudos to all the hard-working people involved.  :clap: I'm amazed they were even discovered... How did that rescue team venture that deeply in (without themselves worried about getting stuck) to the point that they eventually found them?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:24:58 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2018, 04:29:01 pm »
The saga is far from  being over. I knew this so called visionary is insane. You can tell that by just how he talks.

A lot of really bright people are to some degree. Tesla himself was off his rocker, especially later in life, but one can't deny he did come up with some brilliant concepts, along side some nutty ones.

Can't wait to see Musk starting sending tourists to Mars less than 6 months from now. If he does not fulfil his this claim he should be oficially considered a liar.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2018, 04:37:28 pm »
Can't wait to see Musk starting sending tourists to Mars less than 6 months from now. If he does not fulfil his this claim he should be oficially considered a liar.
Now you are putting words in his mouth. There was no such claim. All he said was about test flights.

I think we’ll be able to do short flights, short up and down flights, sometime in the first half of next year.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:40:48 pm by wraper »

Offline Eka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2018, 02:35:29 pm »
I'm not the one talking for humanity or planning out the Space Future Of The Species (tm) with a Sharpie on a wall-mounted Gantt chart.
Right, you are sitting on the chair and do nothing other than criticizing people who actually move humanity forward. Isn't it a bit hypocritical? If Elon did not have this businesses, he would not have big money in the first place.

You didn't answer how electric cars for a tiny minority address progress for HUMANITY (7.5 BILLION) when a lot of people don't even have sewage systems?

I'm not the one talking for the whole species here.
Ever consider that most of those people who don't have sewage systems is political on the part of their own governments? Same thing goes for not enough food to eat.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2018, 04:45:42 pm »
It looks as if Musk may be having some sort meltdown - he's apparently repeated, and stuck his neck out much further, on his pedophile claim about Unsworth.  It doesn't look as if that's going to end well legally.  :palm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45418245
Best Regards, Chris

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2018, 06:04:37 am »
Depends if you’re the one receiving the cash or not. I’d quite happily let someone call me names for some cash.

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #159 on: September 06, 2018, 06:53:54 am »

Well no wonder he needed to make a sub! after he terraforms Mars in a couple of years he is going to need some way to transport people around with all that water!

I respect SpaceX and the part he has played in that, but otherwise, he is a over aged millennial idiot.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2018, 06:12:50 pm »
Hmmm, it does seem to be a bit of a meltdown, or at least bad judgement as it knocked 7% off the share price...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45445554
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:15:56 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2018, 06:24:46 pm »
Hmmm, it does seem to be a bit of a meltdown, or at least bad judgement as it knocked 7% off the share price...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45445554

I don't think him taing puff of a joint and not inhaling had any effect, Teslas new chief accounting officer resigning after only five weeks is much more serious

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: the "Elon Musk can stick his submarine" cum flamethrower ... thread
« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2018, 11:18:45 pm »
anyone seen the JRE video with elon?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-musk-flamethrower/teslas-musk-sells-10-million-in-flamethrowers-in-four-days-idUSKBN1FL544

he made some serious money in 4 days, $9million in the pocket
ppl just love their limited edition things, even if it is dangerous lol

the comparison is funny
I'm not entirely suprised the Musk flamethrower isn't a fully fledged weapon of war, which that big flamethrower definitely is. Even the smaller one would be incredibly dangerous and quite illegal in most places.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2018, 09:05:40 am »
Musk sends the wrong message to aspiring young people that is is OK to get into narcotics. Someone should tell Musk and the moron who interviewed him that most heroin users started with marijuana. I've known three people who have destroyed their lives with marijuana. None of the three have ever worked since smoking pot in the late 70's/80's. One died in his early 40's. Another is suicidal. The other two have carers because they are too useless to do anything useful for anyone - all because of smoking marijuana in their younger years. Pot is for losers.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2018, 12:44:20 pm »
Musk sends the wrong message to aspiring young people that is is OK to get into narcotics. Someone should tell Musk and the moron who interviewed him that most heroin users started with marijuana. I've known three people who have destroyed their lives with marijuana. None of the three have ever worked since smoking pot in the late 70's/80's. One died in his early 40's. Another is suicidal. The other two have carers because they are too useless to do anything useful for anyone - all because of smoking marijuana in their younger years. Pot is for losers.

no one cares he was drinking whisky, he takes a puff of a joint without inhaling and everyone loses
their mind, that is just silly.  Some people can't handle drinking, some people can't handle smoking pot, that doesn't mean the wast majority of people can't handle it with moderation

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2018, 12:49:35 pm »
We shouldn't pretend pot doesn't have its problems associated with it, but the gateway drug myth has been well and truly busted. Your experience fortunately isn't representative.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, tom66, nanofrog, newbrain

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2018, 01:32:12 pm »
It seems Elon has more problems. A survey from the UK shows that Tesla makes the worst cars of all brands:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/7190167/elon-musk-tesla-least-reliable-cars/
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2018, 02:00:44 pm »
It seems Elon has more problems. A survey from the UK shows that Tesla makes the worst cars of all brands:

Meh.  I doubt Tesla will give much notice to a small obscure survey from a small market that likely only included a few Tesla owners.(how few is hard to tell - no numbers that I can find on the What Car? website but based on the total surveyed -18k, and Teslas small market share, it was likely very few).

In contrast, in the US, the Consumer Reports owner satisfaction survey is highly regarded and followed. Tesla has come out as #1 on that survey the last 2 years.

What really is going to make or break Tesla though is how many Model 3s they can sell. What the reliability and owner satisfaction scores for the Model 3 look like after a good number of them have been in the wild for a while will have an impact on that.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: September 08, 2018, 03:38:17 pm »

It's also What Car, a HCM publication. They have almost complete ownership of motorsport and print media in the UK. Buy one of their magazines and look who the high value ad sponsors are. Literally do not trust anything on paper printed by the UK media. It's total shite. All of it. To note, the Sun, aggregating here has a target market of racist dumbasses who want to see tits and shame with some words between them, but not too many words because "reading is for fags".

Not defending Musk or Tesla here, but simply avoid the above sources to start with.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:42:42 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: tom66, digsys, mtdoc

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: September 08, 2018, 04:29:49 pm »

Meh.  I doubt Tesla will give much notice to a small obscure survey from a small market that likely only included a few Tesla owners.(how few is hard to tell - no numbers that I can find on the What Car? website but based on the total surveyed -18k, and Teslas small market share, it was likely very few).

I actually saw my first Tesla the this week! Couldn't tell you what model, it was a great hulking American looking thing from the rear (Model S?) ;D
Best Regards, Chris

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2018, 04:30:53 pm »
I've known three people who have destroyed their lives with marijuana. None of the three have ever worked since smoking pot in the late 70's/80's.

One died in his early 40's. Another is suicidal. The other two have carers because they are too useless to do anything useful for anyone

That's a worrisome statistic indeed. Four out of three pot smokers ruin their lives!  ;)

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2018, 05:07:49 pm »
I've known three people who have destroyed their lives with marijuana. None of the three have ever worked since smoking pot in the late 70's/80's.

One died in his early 40's. Another is suicidal. The other two have carers because they are too useless to do anything useful for anyone

That's a worrisome statistic indeed. Four out of three pot smokers ruin their lives!  ;)

He was apparently mentioning three people. Assuming the suicidal person is also one of the two being cared for.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2018, 05:13:50 pm »
The 2½-hour interview #1169 was really neat, Elon Musk is a visionary. Except for interviewer comedian Joe Rogan being kind of too stupid to really understand Musk's deep answers and then the set-up for him to take a toke, it's legal in 2018 California anyhow.

The way he doesn't think "why not to do it" verses "how can we do this", like helping california's traffic problem by building tunnels. Reeeee Earthquakes? make the tunnels like a snake exoskeleton so they can move around.
I'll take his "can do" problem solving instead of all critics who accomplish nothing.

But I don't think Tesla is going to make it.
Engineering is an applied science and has to take academics, dreamers, ideas and build something, which has been done.
The manufacturing aspect it seems is a disaster for Tesla.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2018, 06:20:41 pm »
We shouldn't pretend pot doesn't have its problems associated with it, but the gateway drug myth has been well and truly busted. Your experience fortunately isn't representative.

His experience is representative believe me. My sister worked in NHS mental health for 5 years. 90% of the cases they had were drug related and mostly cannabis related. The harder stuff ends up in the morgue or on the streets and never comes back for treatment. Any drug use is a total shit show of destroyed lives and families almost unconditionally. That includes alcohol, tobacco for ref, both of which have really bad health outcomes even if they don’t ruin you via mental health. In countries where healthcare isn’t free, you pay or suffer so no one gives a fuck. Here in the UK everyone pays for every fucked up mess.

I’ll eat my hat if they don’t start another bout of prohibition in the next decade in the US because half the population is fucked up.

BTW It’s not a gateway drug but it links you to people who are a gateway to other drugs. That semantic difference is the elephant in the room.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:22:25 pm by bd139 »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2018, 06:29:27 pm »
It’s not a gateway drug but it links you to people who are a gateway to other drugs.

But isn't that exactly what legalizing cannabis is meant to change?

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf