Author Topic: Elon Musk is a nice chap  (Read 144919 times)

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Elon Musk is a nice chap
« Reply #1275 on: December 13, 2022, 08:32:33 am »
I've seen a few times when Elon was asked how to be successful, his reply was along the lines of, 'it's not a guarantee but working 80 to 100 hours a week is a good start.  In 3 to 6 months, you can accomplish what would normally take 1 year.'

It is not surprising he brings beds to workplaces.

I think that was about having your own business, not about working for somebody else 80-100 hours.

When you have a startup you'll work 24/7 to make your dream come true.  Often, you'll do that together with friends and family, and often the first office is at home, or in a garage, so the hours doesn't look like a 9 to 5 job at all.  And you don't have meetings in a startup, because you are together all the time, often in the same room.  You'll find yourself in some sort of frenzy non-stop working, just as in a video game you'll want to play longer to finish the level.

Apart from hard work and long hours, to succeed with your startup you'll need money, relations, and luck.  I've tried a couple of times and failed.  No regrets for trying.  Sometimes is very hard, sometimes it feels like flying.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1276 on: December 13, 2022, 09:08:25 am »
I've seen a few times when Elon was asked how to be successful, his reply was along the lines of, 'it's not a guarantee but working 80 to 100 hours a week is a good start.  In 3 to 6 months, you can accomplish what would normally take 1 year.'

It is not surprising he brings beds to workplaces.

I think that was about having your own business, not about working for somebody else 80-100 hours.

When you have a startup you'll work 24/7 to make your dream come true.  Often, you'll do that together with friends and family, and often the first office is at home, or in a garage, so the hours doesn't look like a 9 to 5 job at all.  And you don't have meetings in a startup, because you are together all the time, often in the same room.  You'll find yourself in some sort of frenzy non-stop working, just as in a video game you'll want to play longer to finish the level.

Apart from hard work and long hours, to succeed with your startup you'll need money, relations, and luck.  I've tried a couple of times and failed.  No regrets for trying.  Sometimes is very hard, sometimes it feels like flying.

Possibly a startup might be better than trying to bring an existing business back from the dead.

We bought a corner store, which looked like it had just been poorly run, & were going to, by "working really hard", "build it up".
Lots of lessons learnt there-----

(1)Most of our big selling items had such small profit margins it wasn't worth staying open late to sell them.
(2) Big companies can afford tiny margins, small ones can't
(3) Many small businesses should have closed years ago.

It was fun, sometimes, but it nearly broke us.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1277 on: December 14, 2022, 03:42:34 am »
   It's 'Narrative Transition'!
That's the term I was trying to remember, that term as part of (attempts) to use partisan- neutral analysis.
(Sorry took so long, that was last week).  Here, in this thread you might see a total blocking or ignoring, of news breaking...(sigh...do I have to literally lay this out...sigh); but then, usually suddenly, a whole flock of focus...on that same sub-topic.

Parts of that dynamic, I'm avoiding, due to risking being off-topic, and parts, (Twitter) do relate here, as Musk does, by virtue of title.
Musk, Fauchi, censorship algorithms,...and cover...lots and lots of cover. 
OK, (sigh...), rant done...resume cover ops.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1278 on: December 14, 2022, 08:37:33 am »
So, allegedly Twitter is not paying rent anymore.
Additionally, they are looking at what the consequences of simply not paying the agreed severance packages would be.
Article in German: https://www.heise.de/news/Twitter-zahlt-seit-Wochen-keine-Miete-Einbehaltung-von-Abfindungen-wird-geprueft-7393789.html

The latter, ok, Musk has just enough money to just sit out any lawsuits. But i wonder if, as the sole owner of the company, he may be personally liable for crap like this.

:popcorn:

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1279 on: December 14, 2022, 09:03:05 am »
Those both seem like losing propositions. The landlord will be a company with deep pockets that can afford to sue the company, and not paying the agreed upon severance packages is going to completely destroy his reputation and I would expect the courts to force him to do that too. If he's not careful he could end up pissing someone off enough to physically attack him, a desperate person that has lost their livelihood might not feel like they have much to lose. I wouldn't be upset if somebody that got stiffed like that shot him.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #1280 on: December 14, 2022, 09:26:32 am »
Judges are also very good at calling out bullshit from the litigants and attorneys.  I can't see this going well. 

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1281 on: December 17, 2022, 12:32:38 am »
Elon's lost it again.

Banned the Musk Jet account, promising to sue the creator, and then banning loads of journalists for tweeting about it.  Involved in a debate in the 'Spaces' feature, which he ragequit after getting loads of questions from journalists, and then axed the entire feature afterwards which deleted the recording (fortunately, someone screencap'd the whole thing)

Also making a bizarre claim about a stalker threatening the life of his child but no report to LAPD and no dashcam video (despite the car carrying the kid being a Tesla - odd).  Claims this was reason to ban the jet tracker, but there's no evidence the two events if they even happened are connected.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1282 on: December 17, 2022, 01:29:29 am »
Well as I've said before, it may not have been his intent, but if Twitter collapses I think the world will be a better place, at least until a clone pops up.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1283 on: December 17, 2022, 02:43:45 am »
Plus, starting wealthy is not a guarantee of achieving any success in business. Sure if you have lots of wealth and money working for you, you can just live a comfy life without doing anything.
But as to creating *successful* businesses, not that much. Many people having inherited have burnt large amounts of cash without achieving anything much.

I read somewhere that it's very uncommon for family wealth to last more than 2-3 generations. Sooner or later you end up with somebody born into great wealth who develops no life skills other than pissing away large sums of money. My ex's mother for example inherited something like $2M when her dad passed away, she was nearly broke only around 3 years later. Still living in her ratty old doublewide that was not even paid off.

My mother used to remark "From rags to riches and back again, in three generations".  Very often, it's true!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1284 on: December 17, 2022, 02:52:29 am »
So, allegedly Twitter is not paying rent anymore.
Additionally, they are looking at what the consequences of simply not paying the agreed severance packages would be.

:popcorn:

In the first place, severance isn't required by law.  And he wouldn't be the first, or the last, employer to not give their employees what they promised them.  My father in law used to say about situations like that that was when two fools meet. The one that made the promise and the one that believed them. 

But, second, if I was Elon I wouldn't be paying any severance to the employees that simply walked off of the job either.  And in their own very public admissions, that's exactly what many of the Twitter employees did.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1285 on: December 17, 2022, 03:08:28 am »
Elon's lost it again.

Banned the Musk Jet account, promising to sue the creator, and then banning loads of journalists for tweeting about it.  Involved in a debate in the 'Spaces' feature, which he ragequit after getting loads of questions from journalists, and then axed the entire feature afterwards which deleted the recording (fortunately, someone screencap'd the whole thing)

LOL!  The creator of the Musk Jet account lives literally less than two miles from me and goes to the same Comp Sci school that I graduated from. I've been following his belly aching on the local news for almost a year now.  Elon asked him to take the Musk Jet page down months ago and offered him $5,000 to do so. But the little turd decided to be greedy and demanded $50,000. So Elon took him down instead!  :-DD

As far as I'm concerned the stupid kid was a cyber stalker and attempted to blackmail Elon and he got what he deserved.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1286 on: December 17, 2022, 03:13:16 am »
   In the first place, severance isn't required by law.  And he wouldn't be the first, or the last, employer to not give their employees what they promised them.  My father in law used to say about situations like that that was when two fools meet. The one that made the promise and the one that believed them. 

But, second, if I was Elon I wouldn't be paying any severance to the employees that simply walked off of the job either.  And in their own very public admissions, that's exactly what many of the Twitter employees did.

Severance isn't required by law, but if you offer it and someone takes you up on that offer, as far as I know that is legally binding. From what we saw publicly he sent out an email that said employees had until a deadline to click something, and failure to do that would be taken as resignation and they would get severance. It's possible that is not exactly how it played out, but if it did, then simply not clicking that link by the deadline constitutes resignation, not just walking off the job.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1287 on: December 17, 2022, 03:49:43 am »

Severance isn't required by law, but if you offer it and someone takes you up on that offer, as far as I know that is legally binding. From what we saw publicly he sent out an email that said employees had until a deadline to click something, and failure to do that would be taken as resignation and they would get severance. It's possible that is not exactly how it played out, but if it did, then simply not clicking that link by the deadline constitutes resignation, not just walking off the job.

Yeah, its complex though because the law is different in many countries and twitter is multinational.
Trying to figure out what you can do legally to your employees that span 15 countries is a time consuming task.
Even if you checked into the issue previously the laws may have changed.
(15 just used as example, i don't know what it actually is)
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1288 on: December 17, 2022, 03:54:10 am »
But the little turd decided to be greedy and demanded $50,000. So Elon took him down instead!  :-DD
As far as I'm concerned the stupid kid was a cyber stalker and attempted to blackmail Elon and he got what he deserved.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Yeah, using public data (or non-public data that is trivial to obtain) for the purpose of realtime tracking of someone is being a dick and can be dangerous.
No one should have to deal with that.
I know there is something in the law in some countries about public facing people having to accept some amount of less anonymity vs regular people.
But providing a realtime tracking service for anyone shouldn't be allowed for any person without their permission.

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1289 on: December 17, 2022, 04:37:21 am »
Yeah, using public data (or non-public data that is trivial to obtain) for the purpose of realtime tracking of someone is being a dick and can be dangerous.
Absolutely. The Musk’s next purchase must be flightradar24, followed by lobbying global crackdown on ADS-B.

Thanks God Elon does not own a yacht.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 05:24:14 am by vad »

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1290 on: December 17, 2022, 04:44:48 am »
Well as I've said before, it may not have been his intent, but if Twitter collapses I think the world will be a better place, at least until a clone pops up.
He can and will destroy Twitter, but no one can eradicate an idea. Competitors will be one click away, as scavengers awaiting to feast on Twitter’s corpse.

A popular movie quote:

“What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient...highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain, it’s almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed – fully understood – that sticks; right in there somewhere.”

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1291 on: December 17, 2022, 05:04:49 am »
   LOL!  The creator of the Musk Jet account lives literally less than two miles from me and goes to the same Comp Sci school that I graduated from. I've been following his belly aching on the local news for almost a year now.  Elon asked him to take the Musk Jet page down months ago and offered him $5,000 to do so. But the little turd decided to be greedy and demanded $50,000. So Elon took him down instead!  :-DD

The kid should move his bot to Telegram and bring the followers with him.

When given the choice between KGB colonel Musk and KGB major Durov, I choose the latter. At least Durov does not seem to be suffering from psychiatric condition.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 05:21:33 am by vad »

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1292 on: December 17, 2022, 03:44:08 pm »
Back to Elon, the idea of thousands or ten thousands of people with a T1 rate link plugged into their brain while sleeping worries me.  God buried the firmware for the subconscious behind a "firewall" for a reason.

The sleep mode brain runs in the background for a variety of reasons including intense permutation calculations for the next day or so.  Having a night-time hive mind is spooky stupid.

I announce dibs" on the Brain Ad-blocker patent and concept, both internal and external.

Steve.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 03:45:47 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1293 on: December 17, 2022, 03:51:05 pm »
Back to Elon, the idea of thousands or ten thousands of people with a T1 rate link plugged into their brain while sleeping worries me.  God buried the firmware for the subconscious behind a "firewall" for a reason.

The sleep mode brain runs in the background for a variety of reasons including intense permutation calculations for the next day or so.  Having a night-time hive mind is spooky stupid.

I announce dibs" on the Brain Ad-blocker patent and concept, both internal and external.

Steve.

Are you an AI chat bot ? This is just a word salad.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #1294 on: December 17, 2022, 04:03:28 pm »
The sleep mode brain is mostly putting the days events into the trashcan or long term storage.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1295 on: December 17, 2022, 06:08:41 pm »
No one should have to deal with that.
I know there is something in the law in some countries about public facing people having to accept some amount of less anonymity vs regular people.
But providing a realtime tracking service for anyone shouldn't be allowed for any person without their permission.

All the Musk Jet account did was post where N628TS was.  This is publicly known as Elon's private jet and the information is broadcast on the radio waves.  If Elon wanted to do so he could apply via the FAA to have his codesign periodically changed, for the purposes of privacy.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/equipadsb/privacy

But instead he muscles in and sues the guy and bans him from Twitter - despite saying he was cool with it about a month after buying the company!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 06:10:13 pm by tom66 »

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1296 on: December 17, 2022, 06:48:30 pm »
Elon's lost it again.

Also making a bizarre claim about a stalker threatening the life of his child but no report to LAPD and no dashcam video (despite the car carrying the kid being a Tesla - odd).  Claims this was reason to ban the jet tracker, but there's no evidence the two events if they even happened are connected.

Aaaaaaaand "tada" Musk reverses the ban and reinstall them based on public opinion! Good golly geee Musk is losing himself! :popcorn:
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/elon-musk-releases-lefty-journalist-twitter-jail-after-poll

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1297 on: December 17, 2022, 08:05:25 pm »

All the Musk Jet account did was post where N628TS was.  This is publicly known as Elon's private jet and the information is broadcast on the radio waves.  If Elon wanted to do so he could apply via the FAA to have his codesign periodically changed, for the purposes of privacy.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Have a think about the freedom you have to drive your car down to the store to buy a pack of smokes without the internet reporting all about it. Why were you buying the smokes? What are you going to do with the smokes? You're going to try and secretly start your kids smoking, aren't you?
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: wraper, SiliconWizard

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #1298 on: December 17, 2022, 09:25:22 pm »
All the Musk Jet account did was post where N628TS was.  This is publicly known as Elon's private jet and the information is broadcast on the radio waves. If Elon wanted to do so he could apply via the FAA to have his codesign periodically changed, for the purposes of privacy.
Elon actually did that. And the guy bragged about getting around it.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1299 on: December 17, 2022, 09:48:44 pm »
It's abusing a system to stalk someone.
Yes, anyone could find the info, but that doesn't mean its ok to process the info and use it for this sort of purpose.

It's like the old phone books that were in order of last name and initials and if you looked up someone name in the book you could find their phone number and address.
But it was illegal to use the info to make a new book reordered by phone number to locate an address and name from a phone number.

It should be illegal to use flight tracking data to create a system to enable stalking someone in realtime.

Elon has said that its the real time aspect that he has an issue with.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 09:53:11 pm by Psi »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf