General > General Technical Chat

Elon Musk is a nice chap

(1/312) > >>

eti:
In the knowledge that this forum never seems to want to delete threads, I’ve change the title to reflect my opinion change over the last month or so. I’m not going to sit here and “Justify” or “Validate“ why I changed  my mind, but let’s just say that I think Elon musk is a very nice chap, and I hugely misjudged him, and the fact that he is very very anti-left liberal woke… That’s enough for me to like him.

Bud:
The mystery of Musk's speech  impediments and other weirdnesses has now been solved - Musk has admitted he has Asperger's and is/was just fooling around.

--- Quote ---Look I know I sometimes say or post strange things, but that's just how my brain works," he said.
--- End quote ---

https://www.dw.com/en/elon-musk-reveals-he-has-aspergers-syndrome/a-57473708

Red Squirrel:
While I do agree it's delusional, back in the day when they were talking about going to the moon people thought the same thing, I think that's where the word "lunatic" comes from.   

So honestly I'm willing to give him the chance and see if he can really make it happen.  I don't think it will happen any time soon but I think we will live to see it.

That said, as much as it would be cool to see, I'm not a big fan of the idea of colonizing Mars though, I just feel all that effort should be used to save this planet from ourselves instead.  Carbon capture tech for example, better batteries to make even large ships or planes capable of being electric, and of course full green power grid with storage.   If we really want to fix the atmosphere we need large towers that can suck air down and then go through a carbon capture process.   Most of the ideas I've seen are doing it at ground level, that won't do anything for the upper atmosphere.  For the cost of colonizing mars several of these towers could probably be built.  Need to build them at both poles, and along the equator.   Anywhere else may be too much of a challenge due to centrifugal force of the Earth's rotation.

Berni:

--- Quote from: Red Squirrel on May 10, 2021, 05:05:28 am ---While I do agree it's delusional, back in the day when they were talking about going to the moon people thought the same thing, I think that's where the word "lunatic" comes from.   

So honestly I'm willing to give him the chance and see if he can really make it happen.  I don't think it will happen any time soon but I think we will live to see it.

That said, as much as it would be cool to see, I'm not a big fan of the idea of colonizing Mars though, I just feel all that effort should be used to save this planet from ourselves instead.  Carbon capture tech for example, better batteries to make even large ships or planes capable of being electric, and of course full green power grid with storage.   If we really want to fix the atmosphere we need large towers that can suck air down and then go through a carbon capture process.   Most of the ideas I've seen are doing it at ground level, that won't do anything for the upper atmosphere.  For the cost of colonizing mars several of these towers could probably be built.  Need to build them at both poles, and along the equator.   Anywhere else may be too much of a challenge due to centrifugal force of the Earth's rotation.

--- End quote ---

The problem with these things is that they are massive projects with no financial benefit while costing a lot to even run, let alone build. The reason most people are not driving electric cars (including me) is because an internal combustion car is cheaper over the cars whole lifecycle.

Musk has already made SpaceX turn profits on this whole rocketry shenanigans. There are costumers that pay big money to get there commercial satellite up there into orbit, or to deliver stuff to the space station. The reason they pick SpaceX to do it is because they developed the latest in rocket technology to make it more cost effective. They also use this new capability by launching a better satellite internet service called Starlink.

So they keep developing there rocket tech to also become the first commercial provider of interplanetary transport, and the most attractive first step is Mars.

It's only governments that can launch and run a non profitable project that benefits humankind as a whole. Commercial companies can't do that because they would eventually run out of money, at what point the banks stop giving paychecks to the people that work there and those people stop working for you.

vk6zgo:

--- Quote from: eti on May 10, 2021, 04:29:10 am ---https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musks-plans-for-life-on-mars-a-dangerous-delusion-12243479

I’m glad other inhabitants of planet earth don’t have their heads in the clouds as most others  seem to!

--- End quote ---

Don't hold back eti, tell us what you really think! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version