Author Topic: engineering jokes  (Read 113296 times)

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: engineering jokes
« Reply #450 on: August 15, 2022, 11:54:19 am »
^That reminds me of another related mechanics joke.

A world-class heart surgeon is waiting in the lobby of a Mercedes dealership to pick up his new car.  The lead mechanic spots him and asks him, "Hey, can I ask you a question?" 

Somewhat surprised, the surgeon agrees. "So, I've just swapped the cylinder head in that AMG over there.  I can take valves out, change the timing belt and flush the fluids, and do it faster than the warranty card says.    So how come I get paid a pittance and you get the big bucks, when you and I do pretty much the same thing?"

The surgeon says, "Yes, that's impressive", sipping on his latte, "...but have you tried doing it with the engine running?"
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 11:58:42 am by tom66 »

The following users thanked this post: Berni, SeanB, AlfBaz, lapm, rdl, xrunner, HighVoltage, MK14, Nominal Animal, MrMobodies, pcprogrammer

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #451 on: September 03, 2022, 01:41:50 am »

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Sal Ammoniac, xrunner, MK14, Zoli, pcprogrammer

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #452 on: September 03, 2022, 05:26:44 pm »
^That reminds me of another related mechanics joke.

A world-class heart surgeon is waiting in the lobby of a Mercedes dealership to pick up his new car.  The lead mechanic spots him and asks him, "Hey, can I ask you a question?" 

Somewhat surprised, the surgeon agrees. "So, I've just swapped the cylinder head in that AMG over there.  I can take valves out, change the timing belt and flush the fluids, and do it faster than the warranty card says.    So how come I get paid a pittance and you get the big bucks, when you and I do pretty much the same thing?"

The surgeon says, "Yes, that's impressive", sipping on his latte, "...but have you tried doing it with the engine running?"

I'm with the mechanic stance here. A surgeon has an anaesthetist by his side to put the patient in a sort of controlled coma. So that "engine" is not running either. Moreover the surgeon has much more support from nurses and expensive tools. As well as much more time to plan the surgery.
goto considered awesome!

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #453 on: September 03, 2022, 07:00:06 pm »
Well then the surgeon could have replied that it would be that same as when he did it all through the exhaust pipe. Because that is how a lot of heart stuff gets done. Through the arteries from either the wrist or the groin.

So when the mechanic sees a way to revise the engine that way he should earn the same money. :-DD

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #454 on: September 03, 2022, 11:26:08 pm »
The surgeons who pioneered partial stoppage of the heart for surgery and doing it through arteries and veins certainly do deserve high salaries.  The hundreds or thousands who copy those inventions are just mechanics and may not deserve the same rewards. 

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #455 on: September 04, 2022, 12:11:18 am »
The surgeons who pioneered partial stoppage of the heart for surgery and doing it through arteries and veins certainly do deserve high salaries.  The hundreds or thousands who copy those inventions are just mechanics and may not deserve the same rewards.

Perhaps the high rewards are in part to compensate for the consequences for failure?  No auto mechanic gets sued for many millions of dollars if they kill your car.  And I'm willing to take a chance on an unproven mechanic; the stakes aren't that high.  Not so for a surgeon.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #456 on: September 04, 2022, 05:05:58 am »

Perhaps the high rewards are in part to compensate for the consequences for failure?  No auto mechanic gets sued for many millions of dollars if they kill your car.  And I'm willing to take a chance on an unproven mechanic; the stakes aren't that high.  Not so for a surgeon.

I will agree with all your points.  But then observe that I have never found a strong correlation between the quality of work by a mechanic and the pay received.  There is some, but the data scatters a lot.  I have far less evidence for surgeons, but assume that the same thing is true.  The little data I have says that it is.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #457 on: September 04, 2022, 05:11:07 am »

I will agree with all your points.  But then observe that I have never found a strong correlation between the quality of work by a mechanic and the pay received.  There is some, but the data scatters a lot.  I have far less evidence for surgeons, but assume that the same thing is true.  The little data I have says that it is.

Except that the bad ones kill their patients.
iratus parum formica

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #458 on: September 04, 2022, 05:29:50 am »
Both type of bad actors will loose their jobs quickly one might hope :)

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #459 on: September 04, 2022, 08:17:17 am »
A doctor has a plumbing problem in his house and the relatives are coming over soon for  a dinner party.
He calls a plumber.
The plumber fixes the problem including clearing waste pipes in about two hours. The bill was $600.
While writing the check the doctor observes " I am a physician and have never made $600 in two hour ever in my career"
The plumber replies:
"I did mot make that much either when I was a doctor"

The following users thanked this post: AlfBaz, HighVoltage, MK14, pcprogrammer

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #460 on: September 28, 2022, 05:21:37 pm »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tom66, SeanB, AlfBaz, HighVoltage, newbrain, MK14, capt bullshot, Nominal Animal, MrMobodies

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2022, 03:07:37 am »
Android is an engineering joke.
Bluetooth is an engineering joke.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: September 30, 2022, 02:37:22 pm »
No. Bluetooth is a battlefield, where powerful interests ensure the selection of codecs is a steaming pile of rubble.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #463 on: September 30, 2022, 05:05:52 pm »
No. Bluetooth is a battlefield, where powerful interests ensure the selection of codecs is a steaming pile of rubble.

There's a huge deal more wrong with Bluetooth than mere audio codecs. I don't know all the specifics, but I've heard Steve Gibson of GRC, bemoan it many a time, and it's along the lines of this: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22904442

Just by chance, I happen to have noticed in the above linked discussion, yet another reason why Android is such a messy joke of an OS... read and you'll see for yourself.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 05:12:06 pm by eti »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #464 on: September 30, 2022, 05:42:44 pm »
Joke: In July the UK government had a mid air breakup. (Where bits of the cabinet seemed to be breaking off one by one.)
Truss was on a different plane of her own at the time of the scandals so she still continues to fly.

Now there seems trouble ahead with the new coordinates ahead and I wonder whether;
Will she have the same fate or just crash in the ground or manager to make through the narrow window.

Joke: Manager says we are equipping each desk with something called a "smart assistant" that the employers have to work with and make the best use out and also link it to their phones.

What they didn't expect was that these "smart assistants" were going to micro manage everything they do basically telling them how to do their jobs.

Manager says, "whereas you all thick they don't call them smart without a reason."

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #465 on: October 01, 2022, 10:57:42 pm »
That smart assistant sounds very much like an evil concept known as a "jennifer unit", turning the human body in to a slave to algorithms because actual robotic bodies still aren't capable enough to follow orders like "pick up 2 boxes".

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #466 on: October 01, 2022, 11:34:32 pm »
There's a huge deal more wrong with Bluetooth than mere audio codecs. I don't know all the specifics, but I've heard Steve Gibson of GRC, bemoan it many a time, and it's along the lines of this: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22904442
A very big flaw is that they define the specs to just barely cover existing requirements at the times the specs are written (so they would be out of date when they get implemented), unlike some other standards like PCIe that look far ahead of existing requirements and start defining specs that seem so far into the future.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: eti

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #467 on: October 03, 2022, 06:35:37 am »
Yep bluetooth had a problem of lagging behind its use cases. Then to catch up they hastily tack on features that are obsolete by the time they are ready.

Tho to be fair it is easier to make a new PCIe spec, since all that the new versions tend to do is run the existing features at double the transfer speed. They even manage to simply name the versions in a sensible way. Unlike the recent USB naming conventions that are so bad they might as well fit in this "engineering jokes" thread.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #468 on: October 03, 2022, 06:12:02 pm »
Yep bluetooth had a problem of lagging behind its use cases.
Had? Bluetooth still has no option for high quality audio in both directions, which there is now a big demand for.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #469 on: November 15, 2022, 09:57:35 am »

A tribute to the most professional Excel user:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 09:59:13 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #470 on: November 18, 2022, 12:32:14 pm »
For those which can understand German  ;D ;D

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, MrMobodies

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #471 on: November 24, 2022, 01:58:22 pm »
"Someone told me my thinking is too one-dimensional. I can't imagine y."

The following users thanked this post: MK14, capt bullshot

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #472 on: November 27, 2022, 09:36:51 am »
Inaccurate color codes! Everyone knows that protons are red, electrons are yellow, and neutrons are gray.

A French aspect to nuclear physics:

Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #473 on: November 27, 2022, 10:56:38 am »
You laugh, but here's a TRUE story.

I worked in a TV station some years ago, back when some programs and all news footage was on 16mm film. Whenever anything went wrong, it had to be written up and a common item during the news shows was "film lost loop" meaning that the film in the projector jumped out of the sprocket drive wheels that provided a buffering length of film (a loop) between the projection gate where the film's motion was intermittent and the sound head where it had to move smoothly. This usually resulted in smeared images and garbled sounds being aired.

After reading this a number of times, one of the front-office managers, a programming director sent a memo to the engineers demanding that "a spare loop of film be kept on hand during all news shows". So we obediently spliced together several loops of film and hung them at each of the projectors.

We refused to take them down when he demanded that we do so several days later. They remained in place for many weeks.

-Hey , you made the forms for using the pool?
-What pool?
Thats like one of the the old   wind the apprentice up   "make sure you bring a towel and swimming trunks tomorrow ,were working in the typing pool"
Or sending the new hire across the airport to the mech shop for a bucket of prop wash...
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, BU508A, bigfoot22

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #474 on: November 28, 2022, 09:51:33 am »
Friends just sent me those.

I'm afraid the budgie jokes are hard to translate.

Translation: "If it is a "mirror" that merely reflects, why does it swap left and right but not top and bottom? Huh?! You believe your "science", I say: This guy is listening to us!"

NAWTS
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 09:54:39 am by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf