Author Topic: engineering jokes  (Read 113693 times)

Offline orlik212

Re: engineering jokes
« Reply #475 on: January 27, 2023, 01:29:53 pm »
этот анекдот я слышал в 1983 году :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #476 on: January 27, 2023, 01:32:57 pm »
I heard this joke in 1983 :-DD

I've fixed that for you.  ;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #477 on: January 28, 2023, 02:54:04 am »
Translation: "If it is a "mirror" that merely reflects, why does it swap left and right but not top and bottom? Huh?! You believe your "science", I say: This guy is listening to us!"
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline imcute

« Reply #478 on: January 28, 2023, 10:12:03 am »
DA RECTIFIER!!!

[THERE IS NOOO FREE ENERGY!]

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #479 on: April 19, 2023, 01:13:55 pm »
Q: What's purple and commutes?
A: An abelian grape.

Credits to Cerebus for letting me know this joke.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW, newbrain, MK14

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #480 on: May 05, 2023, 03:28:59 pm »

The following users thanked this post: MK14, Wallace Gasiewicz

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #481 on: July 14, 2023, 09:06:07 am »
What do you call an engineer who keeps swapping I's for A's ?
A twit !

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #482 on: July 18, 2023, 05:17:00 am »

The following users thanked this post: Kleinstein

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #483 on: July 18, 2023, 06:20:14 am »
A pointless chart:

Edit: Better image withoud jpeg compression artefacts.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 08:43:15 pm by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: rhodges

Online metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #484 on: July 18, 2023, 09:54:34 am »
A pointless chart:

And some will verify the percentages add up to 100.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #485 on: July 18, 2023, 10:16:34 am »

Yes. And how many people do you think have recalculated the limerick from above?  :popcorn:

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #486 on: July 18, 2023, 10:27:19 am »
A pointless chart:

More JPEG compression please.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #487 on: July 18, 2023, 06:53:02 pm »
A pointless chart:

Well, it has to. If it didn't there would be a fraction, and it wouldn't be pointless.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 06:59:25 pm by coppice »

The following users thanked this post: Wallace Gasiewicz

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #488 on: July 18, 2023, 06:58:50 pm »
The famous curmudgeon on data display Edward Tufte (professor of that kind of thing at Yale) considered the pie chart the least efficient format of data display.
His best example was a pie chart that showed the relative fractions of two things, which had to add up to 100%.
(The division of a whole into two unequal parts.)
An entire page to illustrate one number.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 08:44:22 pm by TimFox »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #489 on: July 18, 2023, 08:43:39 pm »

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #490 on: July 18, 2023, 08:55:28 pm »
Translation: "If it is a "mirror" that merely reflects, why does it swap left and right but not top and bottom? Huh?! You believe your "science", I say: This guy is listening to us!"

As Michael sang,
I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #491 on: July 18, 2023, 09:27:06 pm »
The Pointless Pie Chart commits another sin against good graphing that nobody has mentioned, it has a 3D effect to it. So, as seemingly approved of by M$ given the options they make so prominent in the office packages, you can brainwash your business meetings with slideshows of charts that don't even measure in screen area or angle as the data requires they ought.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #492 on: July 18, 2023, 09:28:30 pm »
The Pointless Pie Chart commits another sin against good graphing that nobody has mentioned, it has a 3D effect to it. So, as seemingly approved of by M$ given the options they make so prominent in the office packages, you can brainwash your business meetings with slideshows of charts that don't even measure in screen area or angle as the data requires they ought.
If its not 3D its not a pie. Its a wafer.

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, schmitt trigger

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #493 on: July 19, 2023, 05:50:02 am »

Yeah all the default charts in Office are crap for engineering use and need a lot of massaging and tweaking settings to make them functional rather than just pretty looking.

Every time i use Excel to graph something i have to calm myself down and remind myself that i am using software designed to be used by an accountant or some paper pusher in the marketing department, not an engineer.

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #494 on: July 19, 2023, 09:29:14 am »
Not a joke, unless you consider us humans a joke:

The funny thing about mirrors is that they do not swap anything, not even left and right.

People think it is the mirror that swaps things, when it really is just the definition of left and right that are incompatible with physical reality; their perception and definition of "direction" that demands something gets "swapped".  Funky.

For example, if you have a pimple on your nose on the side of the closest door, the pimple will be on that same side in the mirror too.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: July 19, 2023, 01:30:06 pm »
Another funny thing about mirrors is that they can be made to swap for real, i.e. a concave mirror.  ;D

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #496 on: July 19, 2023, 03:23:07 pm »
Another funny thing about mirrors is that they can be made to swap for real, i.e. a concave mirror.  ;D
Nope!  8)

The reflection is only swapped when the focal point (or axis) is between the mirror and the observer.  Thus, it is the chosen path for the light that does the "swapping", and not the mirror: just put your eyeball close enough to the mirror, and the "swapping" always disappears.

However, a horizontally concave but vertically flat – somewhat like a cutout from a cylinder inner surface – mirror, when viewed from a suitable distance, does indeed reflect the image around the vertical axis, letting the observer see themselves somewhat like others see them.  It only really works at a fixed distance, because further in or out the image aspect ratio will vary.

Cylindrical mirrors themselves have been used in anamorphic art: the mirror is placed on top of an image which is highly stretched, but when viewed through the mirror, the "correct" picture appears.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #497 on: July 19, 2023, 03:37:26 pm »
Old Master painters would show off their virtuosity by painting anamorphic details (e.g., reflections from curved surfaces) into their otherwise perspective-correct paintings.
e.g., Hans Holbein the Younger's "The Ambassadors"  https://smarthistory.org/hans-holbein-the-younger-the-ambassadors/

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #498 on: July 19, 2023, 03:39:32 pm »
Nope!  8)

The reflection is only swapped when the focal point (or axis) is between the mirror and the observer.  Thus, it is the chosen path for the light that does the "swapping", and not the mirror: just put your eyeball close enough to the mirror, and the "swapping" always disappears.

However, a horizontally concave but vertically flat – somewhat like a cutout from a cylinder inner surface – mirror, when viewed from a suitable distance, does indeed reflect the image around the vertical axis, letting the observer see themselves somewhat like others see them.  It only really works at a fixed distance, because further in or out the image aspect ratio will vary.

Cylindrical mirrors themselves have been used in anamorphic art: the mirror is placed on top of an image which is highly stretched, but when viewed through the mirror, the "correct" picture appears.

Steve Mould explains it all:
https://youtu.be/sP0cwLuEwsw

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #499 on: July 19, 2023, 05:02:44 pm »
Yes, mirrors can help with many tricks.  One of the funniest is that it is possible to always reflect the light back, at the same direction from where the light came.  :o

I think it is called "corner reflection", the trick with 3 perpendicular plane mirrors.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf