Author Topic: Equifax Says Cyberattack May Have Affected 143 Million Customers  (Read 6729 times)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: Equifax Says Cyberattack May Have Affected 143 Million Customers
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 10:03:42 pm »
I'm tired of this bullshit. It's time to scrap the current system and come up with something new. We can do better.

Totally agree.  Why the hell is ID theft the consumer's fault for one?  I didn't ask for the loan and I wasn't the lending agent that gave the loan to an imposter?  WTF?    :horse:

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 10:47:58 pm »
Among other states, the Attorney General of Illinois is looking at suing Equifax.

So, the states sue.  Who gets the money?  The states, naturally, but what about the victims?

The class action suit that is sure to follow should require a trillion $ fund be created by the 3 reporting agencies to cover fraud created by their ineptitude.

Equifax is just the first to admit they have been hacked.  The other two will be piping up soon!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 11:14:00 pm »
Since most information is the same or similar, if one of the three reporting agencies gets hacked, do the other two even matter?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 12:58:01 am »
There's a bunch 'o class action lawsuits already. Probably will be combined into one Mother of all Class Actions.

They have been backing down on some of the requirements they had, such as requiring a credit card to get the one year of free credit monitoring, and stating you are not locked out of participating in the class action. What a mess.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline JwallingTopic starter

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2017, 05:39:22 pm »
They're taking a really long time to process enrollments, too. After almost a week without an enrollment confirmation email, I called them and they said that, yeah, there are so many people signing up that it's taking more than the 72-hour estimate.

Even though they tried to spread out the workload by issuing enrollment dates, it's obviously not enough to keep up.

As stated in the NY Times article about the fake site:

Mr. Telang said Equifax’s actions suggested that the company had never anticipated or planned for a data breach.

“If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up,” he said. “Equifax is just a perfect example of that.”
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 05:55:47 pm »
They're taking a really long time to process enrollments, too. After almost a week without an enrollment confirmation email, I called them and they said that, yeah, there are so many people signing up that it's taking more than the 72-hour estimate.

Even more fun is when I tried to sign up my mother for the credit freeze, it kept throwing an error about how the site could not process the request at this time. Of course, this was after filling out the entire web form with all the personal details. The back button on my browser would naturally clear the form as well. It took me a good dozen attempts and several days before it finally accepted the submission.  :rant:

If only Moe, Larry, and Curly (no Shemps or Curly-Joes please!) were still alive today; they could have done a better job.
Jay

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Jay

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf