Author Topic: Equipment storage tempeture  (Read 3146 times)

Offline ZenseiTopic starter

• Contributor
Equipment storage tempeture
« on: October 18, 2011, 07:32:49 pm »
Hello all.

I'm a little worried for my gear for the winter. I have it in my addic, which is well isolated, but not heated, so it can get a bit cold up there. It's dry and sealed off from the elements, but I'm worried about what the coming low temperatures might do to the accuracy... I can't say for sure how low it will get, sometimes it stays above -5, but last year iw was -23 C.

Do you know of any general lowest temperature it should be kept in?

Thanks

Offline AlphZeta

• Regular Contributor
    • Kerry D. Wong
Re: Equipment storage tempeture
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 07:53:11 pm »
Depending on what type of equipment it is. If it has a lot of electrolytic Caps, the temperature could be an issue and certainly will affect the life of those components. But for the semiconductor components, this temperature range shouldn't be of any problem.

Offline tekfan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:19:44 pm »
LCD screens might be an issue too. Other than that and the elcectrolytic caps I don't see a major problem. Be sure to allow them to warm up to room temperature before powerup.
One can never have enough oscilloscopes.

Offline ZenseiTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:04:41 pm »
The equipment is hand held multimeters, oscilloscopes, bench multimeter, computers and so on...

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:59:24 pm »
Temperature as such shouldn't be a problem, but side-effects like condensation can be. Especially when something is taken from cold storage to a warm place - allow plenty of time to warm up and any condensation dry out before turning on.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:38:53 pm »
Condensation is what does the damage, it gets into tiny spaces and freezes, ruining components and equipment.

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 12:43:57 am »
Dear Zensei:

--I used to tell girls that it was impossible to spell attic while looking down the front of ones shirt/blouse. The victim would then would look down the front of her blouse and say aloud A T T I C. That is how I remember to spell attic.

"Marconi invented the radio but he had to wait years and years till anything decent was on." Johnny Carson

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline ellisg

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 02:27:09 am »
I have to agree, that would generally be based on whatever components are included in your equipment. And what could work for one, would certainly not guarantee to hold true for the other one.

I have always had problem with screens catching moisture on the inside, and they really are such a pain because then you have to pry it open again just to wipe off that moisture.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 05:45:27 pm »
I would have thought that any decent multi-meter would be able to take -20 (storage not operation). LCDs that can operate that cold can behave very poorly but they will recover when allowed to return to normal room temperature. If they are allowed to slowly get back to room temperature they should not get condensation on the inside.

The computers will probably not be designed to be stored that cold so you might have trouble with them.

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf