Author Topic: EU copytight law madness. It has passed. It will become a reality.  (Read 16707 times)

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
Re: EU copytight law madness. It has passed. It will become a reality.
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2018, 03:13:32 am »
I think it is time to find an alternative to youtube.
I don't see that happening, it's not realistic to compete with Google. Can't beat their profit margin due to economy of scale. If net neutrality falls like it looks like it will in the United States internet will transform into cable-tv and then trying to compete with an established service like Youtube (especially a high bandwidth one) will be even less of a possibility. Net neutrality in the US only survived about 4 years, and then it's just going to be a matter of time before EU and everyone else follows suit.

It's a slippery slope, the lobbyists keep pounding policymakers relentlessly, ordinary concerned citizens doesn't have enough stamina to keep the special interests at bay year after year. There have been successful campaigns against several draconian copyright proposals in EU before but as is evident by this new law, it's just a matter of time before a new bill comes along, even worse than the last one, and eventually one will pass.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2018, 01:13:00 am »
You have to understand the motivators. Big changes are coming that will make most jobs vanish, and the remaining jobs really hard to get.

Because only the most complex and difficult tasks will require people. And lots of education. So much that almost nobody who is not wealthy will be able to afford it. But they cant say that to people.

They cant say, "we're sorry, you're all going to have a terrible life, but we will live like kings, and we're pulling up the ladders to the top so our children have an easier time of it" to so many people, and get away with it. So they are hiding it under a bunch of chaff. Static.

Politicians are deliberately acting like idiots, as part of this greater cause. To divide and conquer. To hide reality and prevent the discussion that really needs to happen from ever going on. Until its too late.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:54:00 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2019, 12:58:24 pm »
Old Thread, I know, but I had to pull it up...

Today, the vote has passed. I do not know when it will come into effect though.
What I expect to happen now is the closure of many small sites depending on "user generated content". If I had a site, I would close it as well, the effort to comply with the bureaucratic madness is just too much nowadays.
Hopefully, overseas sites will not start blocking visitors from the EU, like what happened when GDPR came into effect.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2019, 01:50:52 pm »
And the UK will probably never properly leave the EU. Brexit will occur in name only so the laws will no doubt equally apply here too, but we won't be able to do anything about it, as well follow all the dumb laws but no longer have any influence.

What's worse is this hasn't been mentioned by the media at all in the UK. Mainstream media don't want people to know, as the Youtube is their greatest competitor and fewer people watching it would benefit them.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2019, 02:00:06 pm »
What's worse is this hasn't been mentioned by the media at all in the UK. Mainstream media don't want people to know, as the Youtube is their greatest competitor and fewer people watching it would benefit them.
Another win for the copyright industry.

In Sweden we have to pay a tax on all storage media (hard drives, thumb drives, etc) that goes straight down the pockets of the media industry. It's amazing what they get away with.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, BrianHG

Offline Awoke

« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2019, 02:11:32 pm »
Businesses with dying art forms fighting to keep it alive instead of accepting the new norms...

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2019, 02:34:22 pm »
The MEPs who voted with "yes" forgot about the election for the European Parliament in May. I'm pretty sure that all those paid demonstrating bots know exactly what to do in May. >:D

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2019, 04:18:12 pm »
I do not think that this will have much effect on the election. I would be very surprised if a significant amount of protesters would have ever voted for one the major supporting parties of that fiasco. I'm afraid that this will drive more voters to the more vocal anti-eu parties.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2019, 04:36:58 pm »
And the UK will probably never properly leave the EU. Brexit will occur in name only so the laws will no doubt equally apply here too, but we won't be able to do anything about it, as well follow all the dumb laws but no longer have any influence.

Time for some "gillet janues" in UK too?

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2019, 07:10:46 pm »
Quote from: somebody
Youtube
Good riddance IMO. Internet was supposed to be decentralized, not curated by advertisement brokers. They will be back to painstakingly tracking down individual users of whatever P2P alternatives people come up with or playing whack-a-mole trying to block P2P altogether.
Time for some "gillet janues" in UK too?
I think most of EU will be on flames in a few years, the whole thing is going bonkers :popcorn:
The MEPs who voted with "yes" forgot about the election for the European Parliament in May. I'm pretty sure that all those paid demonstrating bots know exactly what to do in May. >:D
No idea what you mean by paid demonstrating bots.
But if you think professional politicians are going to lose their jobs because of what they voted for... think again. That's like insinuating you forgot to calculate voltage drop across a 1G resistor in your design, winning elections is what they do for a living.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2019, 09:27:10 pm »
No idea what you mean by paid demonstrating bots.
He means two accusations made by politicians: The first was, while the protests where still mainly online, like petitions and emails, that most protesters are bots.  :-DD Then, afterwards, when the protests were taken to the streets, they claimed the protesters were actually paid by Google   :palm:
Mind you, there is likely some kernel of truth to both statements. I would be surpised if there have been no scripted mass-mailings triggered by some people. Also there was indeed a NGO that reimbursed around 20 people for their travel cost to Brussels.
But just compare that to what the average lobbyist is likely paid please  >:D

Yes, i am very much afraid the the EU is going to the dogs. I expect the elections to show a significant shift to the "right", all across europe.
I always had hope that the EU goes more centralized, envisioning something akin to the USA, but what is happening at the moment is completely out of control. With the current, very wide spectrum in general policies and wealth across the countries in the EU (and to a lesser extent the Euro-Zone) i'm afraid the EU is doomed to fail in the not so far future.  |O

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2019, 02:52:39 pm »
The bastard behind it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_Voss

The Duran debates the law.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2019, 03:27:44 pm »
As far as I am aware, this has yet to pass the EU Council, and has only finished an EU Parliament vote, who afaik, can't pass a directive without the Council's vote.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Nauris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2019, 03:42:15 pm »
As far as I am aware, this has yet to pass the EU Council, and has only finished an EU Parliament vote, who afaik, can't pass a directive without the Council's vote.
But that is a good point!. I did some googling and apparently such laws indeed need to pass the council too. So that law is not in effect yet and there is still a change were are saved.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:45:43 pm by Nauris »

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2019, 07:24:53 pm »
He means two accusations made by politicians: The first was, while the protests where still mainly online, like petitions and emails, that most protesters are bots.
Huh, can't really know. I think it's safe bet that there were forum raids involved and probably some bots too, it's just reality these days. But to what extent? No idea.
Online polls and petitions might be a gauge of whether anyone cares or not but certainly not a source of reliable numbers.
Then, afterwards, when the protests were taken to the streets, they claimed the protesters were actually paid by Google   :palm:
LOL, no way. Why pay if all they need to do is put up a banner on their website?

I always had hope that the EU goes more centralized, envisioning something akin to the USA, but what is happening at the moment is completely out of control.
Well, I'm of those who think EU shouldn't have progressed past a free trade zone.
And, frankly, I'm not quite sure if "something akin to the US federal government" and "out of control" is necessarily mutually exclusive, if you catch my drift :-DD

That's not too bad then, I suppose it means a single country with balls can still shoot it down.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2019, 07:44:38 pm »
Living under a rock, so not sure what this law is about.

Isn't this the law that was supposed to redirect some money to journalists (e.g. Google have a news section in its search.  The news section has excerpts from journalists articles, yet the journalists are not payed by Google from using their work and excerpts)?

Anyway, I just hope the text law itself (didn't read it yet) is not as dumb and faulty as the EU cookie law, which instead of protecting the EU Internet users from the cookie's evil tracking, the cookie EU law just required an extra click from each and every site one visits, which turns out to be incredibly annoying.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 07:46:37 pm by RoGeorge »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf