Author Topic: EU tariffs on US goods come into force  (Read 8768 times)

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
Re: EU tariffs on US goods come into force
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2018, 11:38:08 pm »
Official unemployment rate in UK is 4.1%. If you count children and retired, then I guess you could get 30%  :-DD.

and in the USA, it is currently about 4%

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2018, 11:55:39 pm »
Agreed. The war didn't start at the point when it met the requirements for being a world war. It started earlier so you can just as easely say that the first invasion was the start of the world war.
It seems some countries went down paths that would inevitably lead to war long before that actually happened. How exactly things would unfold was to be decided, but that it would happen seems inevitable.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2018, 05:34:04 am »
According to Victor David Hanson (VDH): even at the time, it was not thought of as world war until late 1941.  VDH is not your run-of-the-mill farmer.  VDH is a Senior Fellow in classics and military history at Stanford University's Hoover Institution and chairs the working group on Military History.  So I consider him an authority on the subject.
Re:Re:Re:Expert opinions

I guess you picked out my inconsistency here when I poo-poo off the expert economist's opinions on trade v deficit, but then I cited VDH as an authority on the subject of military history and went with it.

You have a point there - I suppose I owe you a clarification: I compartmentalize by the type of information.

With history, what happened or not is rather definitive until discovery of new evidence.  Real historians should know and have analyzed most if not all known evidence.  So, with "what did happened and when?", once their bonafide is established, I trust them as authorities on the subject.

But, when they hypothesize "what if's" such as "what if Germany got to Stalingrad a couple of months sooner?".  Expert answers to that in my view are educated opinions.  I would view them the same as I view expert economist(s): I must know more about the expert or his/her body of work before I consider the opinion as reliable likely or not.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:41:16 am by Rick Law »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf