Author Topic: EU tariffs on US goods come into force  (Read 19437 times)

Offline chris_leysonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
EU tariffs on US goods come into force
« on: June 24, 2018, 11:17:01 pm »
EU tariffs on US goods are now in force, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2018/may/tradoc_156909.pdf
I can understand the tariff on steel, but rice, sweetcorn, orange juice, cranberries, jeans, shoes and anything with an internal combustion engine :wtf:

And these seemingly randomly chosen electronics goods have 50% tariff.

85437001 Articles  specifically designed  for connection to telegraphic or telephonic apparatus or instruments or to telegraphic or telephonic networks
85437002 Microwave amplifiers
85437003 Cordless infrared remote control devices for video game consoles
85437004 Digital flight-data recorders
85437005 Portable battery operated electronic readers for recording and reproducing text, still image or audio file
85437006 Digital signal processing apparatus capable of connecting to a wired or wireless network for the mixing of sound
85437007 Portable interactive electronic education devices primarily designed for children (excl. toys of 95030087)
85437008 Plasma cleaner machines that remove organic contaminants from electron microscopy specimens and specimen holders
85437009 Touch screens without display capabilities, for incorporation into apparatus having a display (excl. those for
electric control of subheading 85371095)
85437010 Electrical machines with translation or dictionary functions
85437030 Aerial amplifiers

85437001 Articles  specifically designed for connection to telegraphic or telephonic apparatus..
Does that include cellular base station eqipment ?

85437005 Portable battery operated electronic readers for recording and reproducing text, still image or audio file
Does that include smart phones and cameras ?

85437006 Digital signal processing apparatus capable of connecting to a wired or wireless network for the mixing of sound. Professional audio gear.

Microwave and aerial amplifiers ? Yeah like the EU buys container loads of LNAs. No tariffs on weapons and ammunition  :wtf:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:39:45 pm by chris_leyson »

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Re: EU tariffs on US goods come into force
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 11:39:01 pm »
As an european, I can't say much more than...  What the f!  :o

All the measures are made to screw you, the end customer after all. It won't hurt anybody else, that just the customer.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:40:32 pm by Yansi »

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 11:48:20 pm »
So Trump goes after the big important commodities like a proper mercantilist. EU fucks around with scattershot which will just harm the economy with red tape ... no one is going to see a business opportunity in this, by the time the R&D is finished all this will be water under the bridge. Nice going EU, you make Trump look smart.

"anything with an internal combustion engine"

Only one which makes sense, almost always big ticket items for which there are existing EU market alternatives.

PS. I guess orange juice, jeans and shoes too.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:55:19 pm by Marco »

Offline chris_leysonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 12:15:03 am »
@Yansi. It just hurts the end customers. It also hurts the producers especially the farmers who grow oranges or cranberries, they're probably already finding it difficult to make a profit. I missed washing machines and electric fences out the list in my first post.

The "electronics items" just looked like a random choice of things, most of the European customs codes don't even show up here https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/trade-tariff/chapters/85  :wtf: we're not even singing from the same hymn book.  :palm:

PS. I guess orange juice, jeans and shoes too.
Yeah, but jeans and shoes are not made in the USA, maybe Mexico or Indoneasia, somewhere where you can exploit cheap labour.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:24:12 am by chris_leyson »

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 01:06:14 am »
It's 3 am here, and I don't get it.  :-//

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 01:23:14 am »
I get the feeling that the things in the list at the top of the thread are not actually imported from the USA. America doesn't make those things anymore, so it doesn't have any such products to export. All modern electronic devices are made in the Eastern hemisphere. So the effect of those tariffs will be to cut out USA based "middle man" import/export houses, which will in turn cut out the margin they add to products, and ultimately will encourage direct import from the country of origin to the EU, reducing prices for consumers.

A further benefit of removing the USA from the supply chain will be to reduce the impact of U.S. export controls on technology advancement, since the USA cannot regulate what does not touch its borders.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 01:49:34 am »
Despite being an EU citizen, I don't currently have to live under this, but I think within recent time, the EU has started making some really risky moves, Cotton, and I don't think they will pay off.

Article 13 is the big one right now that helps completely destroy the free speech platform of the internet. Include the China-style firewall that I've heard is in the works (citation needed I guess) and issues with tariffs, I don't know if I ever want to live in Germany if this sort of pizdec is going to be there.

The US has had some whoppers with Net Neutrality, but at least since it's a nil regulation situation, states are, and some have made substitute regulation to keep net neutral practices in place. Considering the EU is I believe overstepping it's original ethos, I think the US is looking like a not bad place to live in some respects.

There is also the fact that the fear of a regulation is usually hyperbolic. Despite, this is some deep shit, and if I really had bearing to, and could speak German, I'd be writing some letters to some EU MP's.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 01:51:15 am »
Two guesses: 1. lobbying from specific businesses over there, 2. effectively, lobbying against those responsible over here.

There was a recent article about tariffs on very specific two-wheel luxury motor vehicles.  Harleys.  The biggest and most glamorous employer in, I think it was Mitch McConnell's state?

It's one thing to apply general tariffs to hurt a country's overall trade; it's another to make extremely narrow tariffs that don't hurt your own economy much at all, but act like a precision drone strike against the legislators responsible for it.

It's not at all an unusual strategy, in fact it's straight from the WTO's policy recommendations.  Free trade benefits all; restricted trade benefits some and harms many others.  Oh, you don't want my trade?  That's fine, see how you like it too.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: apis, Eka

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 02:54:58 am »
Tim, you nailed it with the “surgical strike” analogy. They are targeting the constituents of the congressional members who have endorsed Trump’s policies.

Another example: bourbon.

And it is not only the EU, China is following a similar strategy.

The following users thanked this post: Eka

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 03:13:56 am »
Tim, you nailed it with the “surgical strike” analogy. They are targeting the constituents of the congressional members who have endorsed Trump’s policies.

And it is not only the EU, China is following a similar strategy.

So is Canada.

https://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/consult/cacsap-cmpcaa-eng.asp

Table 1 is boring.  Table 2 is just plain bizarre.  Everything from ball point pens to washing machines to maple syrup!  Our news broadcasts also claimed that the list is designed to target Trump supporters.

Ed

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 05:26:20 am »
What it looks like to me is politicians/bureaucrats on both sides of the oceans thinking with their testes.

If you believe in free trade, you achieve it by raising tariffs?

If you believe that the person starting the war is irrational, you use logical steps to provide pressure?

No good will come of this, but I don't have any choice on participation. 

Offline mrf184

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 08:29:43 am »
Government is the enemy of the people.

Taxation is theft.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 09:10:01 am »
Government is the enemy of the people.
No, not everywhere.

Taxation is theft.
Not necessarily.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, nugglix, newbrain

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 09:25:20 am »
What it looks like to me is politicians/bureaucrats on both sides of the oceans thinking with their testes.

If you believe that the person starting the war is irrational, you use logical steps to provide pressure?

If someone acts against you, you don't sit doing nothing. If you ignore it, it's a signal that they could bully you and walk away untouched. Therefore you will be bullied more and more.

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 01:50:18 pm »
So Trump goes after the big important commodities like a proper mercantilist. EU fucks around with scattershot which will just harm the economy with red tape ...

There is a random list of electronics stuff on the US tariffs too.  The hilarious/sad thing is that I can avoid them by using overseas assembly houses, as almost all the electronics tariffs are on components not finished products.  Of course that kind of inversion is always a risk with tariffs, but these ones seem almost deliberately designed to hurt US manufacturers by raising the cost of supplies for which there is no US alternatives while allowing the foreign competition to bring the finished product in avoiding the tariffs entirely.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 02:16:00 pm »

If someone acts against you, you don't sit doing nothing. If you ignore it, it's a signal that they could bully you and walk away untouched. Therefore you will be bullied more and more.
It depends on the reason for their actions. If they're looking for a reaction, then it's better to ignore it, rather than retaliation.

In this case, tariffs are bullshit and only hurt businesses and the consumer. I think the EU should have just ignored most of them and let the US suffer for its government's actions.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 02:23:55 pm »
You may be right, Hero.
But what I think that the EU has become upset at the multiple snubs by president Trump. This was the proverbial drop that spilled the water.

The threats of further taxing automobiles would cause additional pain, but would weight mostly to Germany.
German automakers already have assembly plants in the USA. So they have an ace under their sleeve.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 02:37:00 pm »
In this case, tariffs are bullshit and only hurt businesses and the consumer. I think the EU should have just ignored most of them and let the US suffer for its government's actions.
And just sit and watch how we are loosing steel and aluminium market.
FWIW US have done so much shit unpunished, act bold all the time without caring about other's interests, it's a miracle something like this did not happen earlier.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 02:44:18 pm »
More taxes? Shut up and pay.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:27:12 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 02:48:01 pm »
And just sit and watch how we are loosing steel and aluminium market.
Whist Germany out-competes the US on manufactured goods, because they can import the raw materials more cheaply.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 03:26:18 pm »
Only a small part of the steel and aluminium exported by the EU is imported by the US. The US import taxes on both will hit mostly China and the EU industry also complains about cheap steel/aluminium from China. But instead of collaborating Trump goes on trade war with everyone. I assume that Trump want's to prevent the EU steel becoming less expensive in comparison to Chinese steel when there's no import tax for the EU too. The problem is that the US can't produce more steel over night. For example, there are just four manufacturers of special steel for saws worldwide, two in the EU and the other two in China - none in the US. So much for national security. I think we'll see an escalation of the trade war since Trump already announced another tax package of 200 billiion US$ on imports from China.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 04:01:36 pm »
Table 1 is boring.  Table 2 is just plain bizarre.  Everything from ball point pens to washing machines to maple syrup!  Our news broadcasts also claimed that the list is designed to target Trump supporters.

Ed

are you saying communists (democrats) dont wash, cant write and dont eat breakfast??  :-DD

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 04:31:47 pm »
Meanwhile Harley Davidson has announced to move production for overseas markets to outside the USA. Other companies will probably follow. I think Trump fails to realise that the outside world is a much bigger market than the USA. All in all it is likely more jobs in the USA will be lost than gained.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 06:17:21 pm »
Quote from: The New York Times
Harley-Davidson, Blaming E.U. Tariffs, Will Move Some Production Out of U.S.

All Trump's fault for forcing those tariffs to be implemented by the E.U.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 06:55:56 pm »
Quote from: The New York Times
Harley-Davidson, Blaming E.U. Tariffs, Will Move Some Production Out of U.S.

All Trump's fault for forcing those tariffs to be implemented by the E.U.
I'm quite surprised, they are not yet banned in the EU. They are just big noisy wasteful polluting garbage, to mess with your neighbors. First thing they do on it after buying is tweak it to make more noise. All good they do is provide a steady supply of transplants.

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle, newbrain

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf