Author Topic: Facebook Hate Speech Keyword Algorithm?  (Read 4460 times)

Online MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Facebook Hate Speech Keyword Algorithm?
« on: August 06, 2022, 11:18:38 pm »
i got few hit from haters for posting very simple keywords and facebook decided it is a hate speech.. one of the post is only like "saudi wahabi, indon aswaja" and it was only like a sarcastic post. i sensed that facebook is using some set of keywords to make the decision such as "indon" is considered a harmful or derogatory word... regardless of what the whole post meaning, even if it was not mean as a harmful or hate speech, if someone complain about it, the stupid algorithm will kick in. making an appeal give no success, facebook hasnt reply in months. by simply include that word in your post you are eligible for a ban or suspension. so question is, how do i know what are those keywords so i can avoid including in my post? and how to register a keyword because some keyword in our community's opinion is a hate and derogatory word/speech but not yet registered? people will use that keyword to mock us. thanks.

edit: googling reveal some flaw in the algorithm such as
https://time.com/5739688/facebook-hate-speech-languages/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/12/03/facebook-hate-speech/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:34:50 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Facebook Hate Speech Keyword Algorithm?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 11:47:01 pm »
1. What the hell does this have to to with electronics? This isn’t a general forum…
2. The way to not run into hate speech filters is easy: don’t use it, whether in jest or not. If you even have to think about whether a word might be considered hate speech, it’s probably something you’re better off not posting at all. Not because of the rules, but because it makes you look like an asshole.

The following users thanked this post: mathsquid, edavid, Benta, bd139

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 12:04:42 am »
2. The way to not run into hate speech filters is easy: don’t use it, whether in jest or not. If you even have to think about whether a word might be considered hate speech, it’s probably something you’re better off not posting at all. Not because of the rules, but because it makes you look like an asshole.

Mecha,
Just stop using FB. FB is not about communication amongst 'friends' it's about advertising and you are the product. Place a dollar value on your posts and if FB doesn't pay you that amount per post, divert your energy elsewhere.

JMO.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer, Bassman59, Stray Electron, Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 12:09:30 am »
1. What the hell does this have to to with electronics? This isn’t a general forum…
why you hate so much? ;D sorry if wrong thread but people here talk about cat and dog thats nothing with electronics.. if there is more appropriate thread please move this there. dont leave a human's job to machine. the idea is avoiding those keywords earlier before you are considered as an asshole. i didnt know by just mentioning the word "indon" or "arab" will make you an asshole. what if those filter registers "asshole" as a hate word, then you will be considered as an asshole right? this can extend to any ethnic in this world, we know originally the word bl*ck is a tabbo word. so by just mentioning a country or ethnic name or a color, even if it means good, can consider you as an asshole.

Mecha,
Just stop using FB. FB is not about communication amongst 'friends' it's about advertising and you are the product. Place a dollar value on your posts and if FB doesn't pay you that amount per post, divert your energy elsewhere.
JMO.
we share ideas, informational videos, pictures there... just as here, dave get the benefit of advertisement and money in youtube, we get nothing in term of money but informations. yes i know FB use us to get money, but we use it to our own benefit.. mutual symbiosis... they get money, we get informations. but this stupid algorithm is biased imho. it can turn a terrorists to run free inside by knowing how to avoid certain keywords.. read about india senarios in links in OP above, oppps did i just mentioned a country's name? i'm a terrorist! |O
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 12:21:23 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 05:02:50 am »
An American may leave America but America never leaves an American.*

How about the h-word you have used? Aren't you aware that it was invented by self-proclaimed elites to scare the masses of eternal punishment for revolting or slacking off and not working hard enough for their masters? Now, I know that you are progressive and not actually suggesting that the h-thing really exists or intending to give the whole concept undeserved credence by being mentioned outside of [sarcasm] tags on a fine scientific forum like ours, but there are still people around who promote this idea seriously so could be please stop giving them the attention they want?

*(hopefully, one day this will become a hate word too).

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 12:35:32 pm »
I don't like the term hate speech because it's ambiguous. Hate isn't always bad. It's a human emotion which evolved for a perfectly valid reason. I hate murders, paedophiles and rapists.

I believe the term hate speech originality was aimed at people advocating violence or treating people badly for who they are, i.e. advocating for killing Jews, gays, blacks, transgenders etc.

Social media sites don't only use keywords but also machine learning to decide which posts to remove. This is based on how similar the posts are to those which have been manually removed by a human moderator.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 02:46:56 pm »
i got few hit from haters for posting very simple keywords and facebook decided it is a hate speech.. one of the post is only like "saudi wahabi, indon aswaja" and it was only like a sarcastic post. i sensed that facebook is using some set of keywords to make the decision such as "indon" is considered a harmful or derogatory word... regardless of what the whole post meaning, even if it was not mean as a harmful or hate speech, if someone complain about it, the stupid algorithm will kick in. making an appeal give no success, facebook hasnt reply in months. by simply include that word in your post you are eligible for a ban or suspension. so question is, how do i know what are those keywords so i can avoid including in my post? and how to register a keyword because some keyword in our community's opinion is a hate and derogatory word/speech but not yet registered? people will use that keyword to mock us. thanks.

edit: googling reveal some flaw in the algorithm such as
https://time.com/5739688/facebook-hate-speech-languages/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/12/03/facebook-hate-speech/

The only reason you are still on here is because we are human moderators that deal with reports and we understand or at least try to consider your local background. I can remember 2 occasions you would have been banned on here for what you said, but I understood that on one occasion it was an honest misunderstanding caused by the fact that as you don't live in the USA or Europe, and the second time I just put it down to your cultural background and poor choice of words, I sort of understood what you meant to say but also understood why it got complaints.

Facebook on the other hand use a lot of computer moderation. Even though you are the product, Facebook don't value you that much so machines that do not have to be paid a wage are used to make sure that the masses are happy and any "offenders" are kept out - for the better good - of Facebook shareholders.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 02:51:06 pm »

This is the general technical chat, To be honest, I don't have a clue what it is for either other than we won't have facebook like posts here which is what we started to get.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 03:16:19 pm »
Facebook algorithm seems like some BS for snowflakes
Change gender to a woman on facebook and pour your hate as much as you wish

without context it is pointless
hate speech for victims? or help for victims?
(some want to be saviors , some want to be victims , some romance == BS)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 07:23:26 pm »
I don't like the term hate speech because it's ambiguous. Hate isn't always bad. It's a human emotion which evolved for a perfectly valid reason. I hate murders, paedophiles and rapists.

I believe the term hate speech originality was aimed at people advocating violence or treating people badly for who they are, i.e. advocating for killing Jews, gays, blacks, transgenders etc.

Social media sites don't only use keywords but also machine learning to decide which posts to remove. This is based on how similar the posts are to those which have been manually removed by a human moderator.

I don't like the concept of hate crimes either. A crime should be punished according to the severity of the crime, not the motivation behind it. In many cases it can be really difficult to prove what motivated it. If I get assaulted I couldn't care less whether it is because somebody didn't like my race or religion or because they wanted my wallet, the effect is the same.

The following users thanked this post: Zero999

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 07:42:28 pm »
why you hate so much? ;D sorry if wrong thread but people here talk about cat and dog thats nothing with electronics.. if there is more appropriate thread please move this there. dont leave a human's job to machine. the idea is avoiding those keywords earlier before you are considered as an asshole. i didnt know by just mentioning the word "indon" or "arab" will make you an asshole. what if those filter registers "asshole" as a hate word, then you will be considered as an asshole right? this can extend to any ethnic in this world, we know originally the word bl*ck is a tabbo word. so by just mentioning a country or ethnic name or a color, even if it means good, can consider you as an asshole.
As others have said, that’s not how FB filtering works. It’s not a simple list of words, it’s machine learning-driven AI. Point is, posts that aren’t contentious or inflammatory are not likely to get flagged.

(YouTube, on the other hand, uses both AI and simple keyword filtering. It’s maddening.)

An American may leave America but America never leaves an American.*

How about the h-word you have used? Aren't you aware that it was invented by self-proclaimed elites to scare the masses of eternal punishment for revolting or slacking off and not working hard enough for their masters? Now, I know that you are progressive and not actually suggesting that the h-thing really exists or intending to give the whole concept undeserved credence by being mentioned outside of [sarcasm] tags on a fine scientific forum like ours, but there are still people around who promote this idea seriously so could be please stop giving them the attention they want?

*(hopefully, one day this will become a hate word too).
I’m honestly not sure what point you’re trying to make, other than an apparent insult on a nationality. The phrase “what the hell” in no way endorses the concept of a punitive afterlife.

This is the general technical chat, To be honest, I don't have a clue what it is for either other than we won't have facebook like posts here which is what we started to get.
Yeah, I wasn’t clear, I meant the EEVblog forums as a whole.

In my experience, the only people who refer to others as “snowflakes” are selfish or bigoted people who are unhappy at being told to be considerate of others.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 08:29:16 pm »

In my experience, the only people who refer to others as “snowflakes” are selfish or bigoted people who are unhappy at being told to be considerate of others.
In my experience most people nowadays use terms such as bigoted, to silence others they disagree with. There are a significant number of overly sensitive people who appear to be offended by everything. Tolerance works both ways and people should consider the intent of the person making the remark which triggered them, just as much as how they feel about it.

There really appears to be a resilience problem, especially amongst the younger generation. This stems from the fact that society has become progressively safer over the post war period, people seem to worry more about bad words now, whereas my father's generation cared more about physical violence.

The following users thanked this post: james_s, pcprogrammer

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 08:35:40 pm »

n my experience, the only people who refer to others as “snowflakes” are selfish or bigoted people who are unhappy at being told to be considerate of others.

I refer to people as snowflakes and I would hope I don't fit your description. There are a class of people who are incapable of making their argument so instead go on the  attack by "being offended", if there is no offence to themselves that could be conceived then they get offended on someone else's behalf without their consent, as long as they find an offended party they feel they can shut your argument down and banish it from the debate that they are too lazy to have or cannot have as they have no defence of their ridiculous position.

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron, Gregg, bd139, HobGoblyn

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 08:42:40 pm »
People still use Facebook? ::)

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline abquke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 08:45:58 pm »
People still use Facebook? ::)

Facebook started going to crap in 2005 when people's parents started showing up on it.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 09:34:24 pm »

I don't like the concept of hate crimes either. A crime should be punished according to the severity of the crime, not the motivation behind it. In many cases it can be really difficult to prove what motivated it. If I get assaulted I couldn't care less whether it is because somebody didn't like my race or religion or because they wanted my wallet, the effect is the same.

People in the UK have been arrested and fined for hate speech, not just actual physical assaults. The worse one was a bloke who got fined because he trained his girlfriend's dog to do a Nazi salute when he said gas the Jews, made a video of it and put it online. It was obviously a joke.  :palm:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-43864133

If you're concerned about being censored, stop posting graffiti on someone else's wall -- that's more or less what one is doing on any of these "user generated content" "cloud services" -- you're picking some e-wall somewhere that you don't own and scribbling there, but at any moment they can tear the wall down or paint over your comments etc. and your "free speech" is censored for any reason or none relevant to you at all.
Of course websites such as Facebook can set their own rules about what's acceptable and what isn't and no one has any right to free speech on someone else's website. The problem is, governments put pressure on social media sites to limit what they deem to be misinformation which in reality can be anything they disagree with.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2022, 10:18:39 pm »
If AI is so ubiquitous and touted to be so clever, how come nobody can seem to use it to filter out material that hurts their feefees?
iratus parum formica

Online strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2022, 10:24:40 pm »
everyone must be equal
racism/discrimination is when dividing people into groups based on some criterion

some people know how to use the system in their favor flagging YT channels, facebook , twitter ...

long/short term scoring system + pattern algorithm + negative feedback . will delete posts and limit access proportionally to when there is negative pattern( hate spreading attack) and feedback (negative positive)?

positive algorithm feedback amplifies exponentially (views/thumbs up = popular/important)

AI because it needs different processing than regular server to be efficient

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 10:35:29 pm »
No one is equal. In fact it's not possible for everyone to be equal, whilst maintaining a fair society. Some level of inequality is good. As long as people aren't being repressed, then different groups of people being represented more in some walks of life, than others is to be expected.

Social media is biased in what they consider to be hate speech. Talk about killing Jews and you'll get kicked off, but say the same about Russians and that's fine, because of the war. They just support the authorities' position on everything.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, SiliconWizard

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 10:43:08 pm »
No one is equal. In fact it's not possible for everyone to be equal, whilst maintaining a fair society. Some level of inequality is good. As long as people aren't being repressed, then different groups of people being represented more in some walks of life, than others is to be expected.

Social media is biased in what they consider to be hate speech. Talk about killing Jews and you'll get kicked off, but say the same about Russians and that's fine, because of the war. They just support the authorities' position on everything.

It's not even for talking about ending ppl, zero. If I were to waste time on FB advocating no war, I'm the arsehole for pointing out that economic sanctions are stupid. They adversely affect all industries not just tech.
iratus parum formica

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 10:59:05 pm »
It's really very simple:
act as your mum taught you: be civil, polite and respectful to other people.
When you post on a forum, think: "would I say this to the other person if he/she was physically standing before me?"
That way, this discussion/thread would be moot.

But it's a vain hope, seeing the raging TV moderators on Fox and elsewhere demonstrating how NOT to get along with each other.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2022, 11:05:09 pm »
It's really very simple:
act as your mum taught you: be civil, polite and respectful to other people.
When you post on a forum, think: "would I say this to the other person if he/she was physically standing before me?"
That way, this discussion/thread would be moot.

But it's a vain hope, seeing the raging TV moderators on Fox and elsewhere demonstrating how NOT to get along with each other.

A Will Ferrell meme floated by on my phone the other day:

If you don't have anything nice to say,
Come sit by me and we can make fun
of people together.

I chuckled.
iratus parum formica

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2022, 03:44:31 am »
hmm looks like its going into political correctness, calm down everyone... i think i settled down, anyhow i think it was my mistake for being too naive and a bit emotional while creating this thread. i should instead find my own way and i think to get around stupid people is by creating fake account, like the many rest of them :palm:, this is what hackers do under pressure... there is no way you can win about these people if you keep being naive/nerdy/straight, you will lose guaranteed. wise posts cannot fight shit posts nowadays. so at least i should be badda'hole like them. if i ignore them, they will keep coming, posting in groups harassing and accusing. i got trolled and post some sensitive keyword not anything to do directly to the person i'm confronting, i'm just trying to defend something or give some example/explanation. the end :P

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2022, 03:47:13 am »
hmm looks like its going into political correctness, calm down everyone... i think i settled down, anyhow i think it was my mistake for being too naive and a bit emotional while creating this thread.
See what posting hate on FB gets you?   ;D

i should instead find my own way and i think to get around stupid people is by creating fake account, like the many rest of them :palm:, this is what hackers do under pressure... there is no way you can win about these people if you keep being naive/nerdy/straight, you will lose guaranteed. wisdom posts cannot fight shit posts nowadays. so at least i should be like them. if i ignore them, they will keep coming, posting in groups harassing and accusing. i got trolled and post some sensitive keyword not anything to do directly to the person i'm confronting, i'm just trying to defend something or give some example/explanation. the end :P

A person I know complained to me why he was too often put in FB jail. Why ask me? When looking at the account, I noticed the posts were just about all public and I pointed out that he should just post the rubbish to certain friends only. Apparently that's too much effort.

It's a couple of family members on his friend list that are the ones that are flagging him.
iratus parum formica

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2022, 03:55:07 am »
It's a couple of family members on his friend list that are the ones that are flagging him.
in my case a couple of chaps from the other groups intruded my wall and commenting hate speeches. luckily they didnt have those sensitive keywords in their posts, words like stupid or moron are not in the list |O. anyway the good thing is now i know what tool they used to hit me, the algorithm will be more busier than before if someone tries to troll me...

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf