Author Topic: Facebook Hate Speech Keyword Algorithm?  (Read 4459 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Facebook Hate Speech Keyword Algorithm?
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2022, 05:50:03 am »
There really appears to be a resilience problem, especially amongst the younger generation. This stems from the fact that society has become progressively safer over the post war period, people seem to worry more about bad words now, whereas my father's generation cared more about physical violence.
Well, the bullies would say that, wouldn’t they? “Woe is me, I can’t be as mean to my peers as my parents’ were to theirs.”

Me, I’m proud of the younger folks for speaking up against it.

I got bullied as a kid, so I am very, very opposed to anything that coddles or condones it.

The following users thanked this post: Ranayna

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2022, 05:54:37 am »

n my experience, the only people who refer to others as “snowflakes” are selfish or bigoted people who are unhappy at being told to be considerate of others.

I refer to people as snowflakes and I would hope I don't fit your description. There are a class of people who are incapable of making their argument so instead go on the  attack by "being offended", if there is no offence to themselves that could be conceived then they get offended on someone else's behalf without their consent, as long as they find an offended party they feel they can shut your argument down and banish it from the debate that they are too lazy to have or cannot have as they have no defence of their ridiculous position.
Honestly, in my observation, “snowflake” is now used mostly as I described it, and not just in response to actual “professional victims”. :/

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2022, 05:56:33 am »
Facebook started going to crap in 2005 when people's parents started showing up on it.
2005? It didn’t even open to the general public until late 2006.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2022, 05:59:11 am »
It's really very simple:
act as your mum taught you: be civil, polite and respectful to other people.
When you post on a forum, think: "would I say this to the other person if he/she was physically standing before me?"
That way, this discussion/thread would be moot.
Yep, that’s what I was trying to get at in my initial response. Well said.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2022, 07:52:32 am »
There really appears to be a resilience problem, especially amongst the younger generation. This stems from the fact that society has become progressively safer over the post war period, people seem to worry more about bad words now, whereas my father's generation cared more about physical violence.
Well, the bullies would say that, wouldn’t they? “Woe is me, I can’t be as mean to my peers as my parents’ were to theirs.”

I got bullied as a kid, so I am very, very opposed to anything that coddles or condones it.
The problem is, most of the time it's not bullying, but simply disagreeing with someone.

How were you bullied?

I got bullied as a kid and right up until I was at college. In my case this consisted of being physically assaulted, not just called bad words. Now I've realised it was I got bullied because I had issues with anxiety, which made me an easy target. I agree people shouldn't go out of their way to upset others, but people should also not be too quick to take offense. Try to think the best of people, rather than they're out to get you.

It's really very simple:
act as your mum taught you: be civil, polite and respectful to other people.
When you post on a forum, think: "would I say this to the other person if he/she was physically standing before me?"
That way, this discussion/thread would be moot.

But it's a vain hope, seeing the raging TV moderators on Fox and elsewhere demonstrating how NOT to get along with each other.

That doesn't matter to snowflakes. You can be very polite to them and they'll still be mean to you, calling you a bigot, because you have a different point of view.

Those going around being offended at everything are really bullies themselves, especially when they take offense on someone else's behalf and they bring their woke mob with them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 09:34:56 am by Zero999 »

The following users thanked this post: james_s, pcprogrammer

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2022, 06:47:40 pm »

n my experience, the only people who refer to others as “snowflakes” are selfish or bigoted people who are unhappy at being told to be considerate of others.

I refer to people as snowflakes and I would hope I don't fit your description. There are a class of people who are incapable of making their argument so instead go on the  attack by "being offended", if there is no offence to themselves that could be conceived then they get offended on someone else's behalf without their consent, as long as they find an offended party they feel they can shut your argument down and banish it from the debate that they are too lazy to have or cannot have as they have no defence of their ridiculous position.
Honestly, in my observation, “snowflake” is now used mostly as I described it, and not just in response to actual “professional victims”. :/

As I said, I will call someone a snowflake and for the reasons I gave, I can't see any other definition of the word in the context. People will of course over use the word, I also use it to describe engineers that can't engineer but can't see it cos they went to uni.

Online strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2022, 08:17:46 pm »
why so many follow trend. some snob/rich collage kids invented this mass control experiment to gain some points

people will kill jews again by any chance and put blame on Facebook's hate speech algorithms

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2022, 03:17:32 pm »
First comment is serious:
We need to pay attention to threats against the Jews. The appearance of these threats can easily mark the beginning of organized violence that will not be confined to just Jews. They are the "Canary in the Coal Mine" in this case.

We also need to pay attention to censorship, as it enables only one side to be published.

My other comment is not so serious, but perhaps can be interpreted as such:
EVERYBODY MUST GET STONED Not just us.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=bob+dylan+everybody+must+get+stoned+1966&cvid=e1f4f8da70bb4960901f16e5e4f30913&aqs=edge.3.0j69i57j0l7.11879j0j1&pglt=41&FORM=ANNTA1&DAF1=1&PC=HCTS

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2022, 05:11:48 pm »
The problem is, most of the time it's not bullying, but simply disagreeing with someone.
I disagree. You don’t see people calling others “snowflakes” simply because they disagree on whatever. It comes up specifically in the context of “how dare people expect me to be considerate of them or others? I want to continue to act as selfishly/prejudiced as I have to date.”

How were you bullied?

I got bullied as a kid and right up until I was at college. In my case this consisted of being physically assaulted, not just called bad words. Now I've realised it was I got bullied because I had issues with anxiety, which made me an easy target.
I’m sorry to hear that.

I was lucky to have escaped significant physical abuse, but verbally, I got it awful. In my case, being nerdy, sensitive and gay (the latter of which they accused me of long before I figured it out myself, let alone came out!).

I agree people shouldn't go out of their way to upset others, but people should also not be too quick to take offense. Try to think the best of people, rather than they're out to get you.
I completely agree. But “be considerate” and “don’t be a professional victim” are not mutually incompatible demands.

That doesn't matter to snowflakes. You can be very polite to them and they'll still be mean to you, calling you a bigot, because you have a different point of view.
If it’s a bigoted point of view, it doesn’t matter whether it’s worded “politely” or not.

Those going around being offended at everything are really bullies themselves, especially when they take offense on someone else's behalf and they bring their woke mob with them.
I completely agree — and so do most people, including the very non-extreme people accused of being “woke” or “snowflakes”. (Just because there are bullies whose bullying manifests as professional victimhood doesn’t negate that there are bullies whose bullying manifests as bigotry.)

The issue is that the people who cry “snowflake!” aren’t being asked to bend over backwards, they’re being asked to show basic respect towards other human beings. But to them, anything is too much, so they bitch and moan.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 05:13:30 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2022, 05:24:34 pm »
First comment is serious:
We need to pay attention to threats against the Jews. The appearance of these threats can easily mark the beginning of organized violence that will not be confined to just Jews. They are the "Canary in the Coal Mine" in this case.

We also need to pay attention to censorship, as it enables only one side to be published.

My other comment is not so serious, but perhaps can be interpreted as such:
EVERYBODY MUST GET STONED Not just us.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=bob+dylan+everybody+must+get+stoned+1966&cvid=e1f4f8da70bb4960901f16e5e4f30913&aqs=edge.3.0j69i57j0l7.11879j0j1&pglt=41&FORM=ANNTA1&DAF1=1&PC=HCTS

First of all we need to be aware of threats against whom ever, being based on religion, race or sexual persuasion. With extremists movements all over the world it is becoming scary.

Your second comment can be read very wrongly for non native English people. It might refer to the biblical meaning of throwing stones at people, where you probably mean getting high. Or I'm wrong and you are actually referring to the first. :-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2022, 05:24:52 pm »

I got bullied as a kid, I learned to stand up for myself, f**k bullies, including the bullies that try to police everyone's language and force political correctness. Trying to "cancel" someone is just a modern form of bullying and I won't stand for it.

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2022, 05:33:59 pm »

I get really frustrated with the people that white-knight and get offended on the behalf of some other person or group. I am on the autistic spectrum and multiple times I have had (neurotypical) people get all bent out of shape about humorous autism stereotypes which I personally find hilarious because while exaggerated, I can see so much of myself in the jokes, many of the stereotypes are absolutely based on truth. They make a stink and claim that it's offensive, and it pisses me off because they should try asking me or other members of the group they claim to be standing up for if we find the material offensive instead of getting offended on our behalf and then attacking us if we disagree with them. It's so stupid and yet it happens all the time.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, pcprogrammer

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2022, 05:52:03 pm »
I think a lot of us "nerds" got bullied in our youths. That is because as a nerd you don't fit in their view of normal and if like me, build small and not very strong, an easy target for them.

And I'm afraid that is an ugly human trade baked into our DNA. People want to rule over other people because it makes them feel better. Some have it more than others. I'm not saying that we have to learn to live with it, but I'm afraid it is very difficult to eradicate.

And indeed lately it seems that offense is taken on the simplest non offensive word spoken. It seems that the scale is never in balance.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2022, 05:52:55 pm »

I got bullied as a kid, I learned to stand up for myself, f**k bullies, including the bullies that try to police everyone's language and force political correctness. Trying to "cancel" someone is just a modern form of bullying and I won't stand for it.
Right. But I’m not talking about the PC crusaders. Nobody likes them, other than their own kind. The vast majority of stuff people complain about, however, doesn’t even come close to rising to the level of “policing” or “canceling”.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 05:55:05 pm by tooki »

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2022, 05:57:42 pm »
i got few hit from haters for posting very simple keywords and facebook decided it is a hate speech.. one of the post is only like "saudi wahabi, indon aswaja" and it was only like a sarcastic post. i sensed that facebook is using some set of keywords to make the decision such as "indon" is considered a harmful or derogatory word... regardless of what the whole post meaning, even if it was not mean as a harmful or hate speech, if someone complain about it, the stupid algorithm will kick in. making an appeal give no success, facebook hasnt reply in months. by simply include that word in your post you are eligible for a ban or suspension. so question is, how do i know what are those keywords so i can avoid including in my post? and how to register a keyword because some keyword in our community's opinion is a hate and derogatory word/speech but not yet registered? people will use that keyword to mock us. thanks.

edit: googling reveal some flaw in the algorithm such as
https://time.com/5739688/facebook-hate-speech-languages/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/12/03/facebook-hate-speech/

"some of them want to abuse you... some of them want to be abused..." Annie Lennox

PEACE===>T

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2022, 06:04:43 pm »
Another issue with the internet is that people don't read properly.

A simple example is Daves give away of the repaired scope. Australian applicants only! Not shipping outside Australia. And where did the first poster come from? Poland. Gnif removed a bunch of them already. Same in the discussion thread for the video. No applications here, what do people do, they apply in that thread.

Read people read. :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf