Author Topic: Facebook up its own clacker  (Read 1160 times)

Offline PerranOakTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Facebook up its own clacker
« on: April 15, 2020, 03:22:50 pm »
I have, reluctantly, started using Facebook.

I find it to be incredibly unfriendly to use and not at all intuitive; it is painful to use.

I thought I'd go to Dave's page and follow it - so far so good. How the f--k do you make a bookmark or shortcut to his page appear on your own home page!? Facebook help is useless … to me anyway.

Cheers.
You can release yourself but the only way to go is down!
RJD

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: Facebook up its own clacker
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 03:44:31 pm »
Ok Boo-

Nah, I agree, social media is crap. Most people just deal with it because it's "hip" so they "have" to use it, regardless of how stupid the interface is. ::)

I heard from one of my fellow programming buddies that he tried to use the Reddit app and he just touched the screen in the wrong spot somehow and it gave someone a "medal" (which, if you don't know, charge you money, idk how much). :o :wtf:

EDIT: Yes, that's also a lesson to never give these social media sites your banking info.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:47:20 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 03:17:30 am »
Ok Boo-

Nah, I agree, social media is crap. Most people just deal with it because it's "hip" so they "have" to use it, regardless of how stupid the interface is. ::)

I heard from one of my fellow programming buddies that he tried to use the Reddit app and he just touched the screen in the wrong spot somehow and it gave someone a "medal" (which, if you don't know, charge you money, idk how much). :o :wtf:
Not quite so dire, but over on QRZ.com, which is normally as user friendly as this one, I found myself scattering "likes" all over the place, due to a combination of a poorly placed "like" button & an errant "pinkie" finger.

Works perfectly on a "real computer" with a mouse, but an iPad?------arrrgghhh!

EDIT: Yes, that's also a lesson to never give these social media sites your banking info.

I've only now started using online banking because of the Covid19 situation.
My previous reluctance was not so much about security, but that my bank's website isn't that clever, so you have to hunt fo find the vatiouus services.

For instance. "Pay a Bill" takes you to "BPay" which is good if you have a bill with the correct details for that service.

If, as for my garden bag bloke, he wants you to use "Pay Anyone", you have to go to "Transfer to Accounts"
(probably eminently sensible to a bankster, but it seems illogical to me).

If they seem to be so clunky, I can't imagine the stuffups Facebook could create! ;D

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:52:36 pm by vk6zgo »

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 03:36:24 am »
If you have done fine without facebook so far, why the heck would you start now?

It's like deciding to take up smoking when you are 50.

The following users thanked this post: tom66

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 09:49:36 am »
True. It's only because I have a mate who is, now, in New Zealand who uses it so ...
RJD

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 10:53:57 pm »
If you have done fine without facebook so far, why the heck would you start now?

It's like deciding to take up smoking when you are 50.
I only signed up because keysight scope week said it would give me an extra chance. Instant regret. although I only gave them the minimum quanta of personal information, they probably know everything about me from side channel web scrapings

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 11:07:17 pm »

I find it to be incredibly unfriendly to use and not at all intuitive; it is painful to use.

I thought I'd go to Dave's page and follow it - so far so good. How the f--k do you make a bookmark or shortcut to his page appear on your own home page!? Facebook help is useless … to me anyway.

Cheers.

Whatever you want or expect facebook to be will probably not correlate with what facebook actually is, and your life will be made poorer as a result of using it.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 12:18:19 am »

Cheers.

Whatever you want or expect facebook to be will probably not correlate with what facebook actually is, and your life will be made poorer as a result of using it.

It isn't an easy call to make...   if your family is spread out, and most of them are on FB...  what are ya gonna do...   be the hermit in the log cabin out on the steppes?

The following users thanked this post: paulca

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 12:29:29 am »
I abandoned it years ago after it kept becoming less and less useful with every attempt to further monetize it.

I did figure out my login and use it to good effect when I was tracking down the mail thief who hit me, though I've since abandoned it again.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 08:00:22 am »
Hmm. What about Twitter? Do people hate that? I'm not on it.
RJD

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 08:49:02 am »
Twitter is for twits.

Facebook is okay for keep in touch with family and friends.  On advertising, Facebook's algorithm shows you ads it thinks you will like.... or buy from.  As I never click ads, except to maybe ask FB to hide them, it barely shows me any.

The main downside with it is that it reveals all to graphically how fucking stupid the majority of people really are.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 08:56:18 am »
The worst part as the "family IT guy" who has not even signed up to facebook, I endlessly get asked for help with the stupid crap it keeps pulling, "Oh why am I getting these weird ad pop-ups all the time", well maybe if you stopped following all those dodgy as heck survey links and installing the apps in the ads.

I don't know about or use it, my recommendation if its causing you issues is still going to be to uninstall that scum every single time STEVE!

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 10:30:30 am »

If you somehow 'think' you need, or peer group pressured/drawn to Facebook and Twitter,
and believe Google is your friend  :palm: :palm:

your life has ended at that point, and just following the herd to wherever the adware and data mining shepherds lead..  >:D

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 10:43:32 am »

If you somehow 'think' you need, or peer group pressured/drawn to Facebook and Twitter,
and believe Google is your friend  :palm: :palm:

your life has ended at that point, and just following the herd to wherever the adware and data mining shepherds lead..  >:D

Only if you are a moron with no brain who can't think for themselves.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 12:42:32 pm »

Facebook is a bit like alcohol...  if you can use it without becoming an alcoholic, you'll be fine!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf