Author Topic: Facebook?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline AlfBazTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Facebook?
« on: February 05, 2020, 12:56:06 am »
I have a broad range of hobbies and accompanying skills which, according to some friends, might be lucrative and or helpful on certain facebook groups.
The inverse seems to be also true. Friends advise me that there can be some very helpful stuff on there as well

I know diddly squat about facebook and at the same time loath been tracked and profiled on line.
Many years ago I created a user profile on there with the bare minimal info. My brother contacted me, telling me facebook had asked him to verify my mobile number (cell number). Information I certainly never entered. I promptly deleted said profile (at least I think I did)

As I get older these kind of shenanigans still piss me off but I'm less inclined to be outraged and leaning more toward meh, what the hell.

I'm curious what some of you think about being part of that platform

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 02:26:22 am »
If you lived all these years without it, why now? Just let it go. You will not miss it. The downside of your profile getting hacked is quite high. All platforms track you and there is no difference in FB.

I use it only as a means where I can find old friends with whom I have lost contact. I have all bogus data in it! Never visit the site unless someone is trying to contact me. All guards up. No one can find me unless I initiate the contact.

Of late, I have started disliking Mark S. for his arrogance and disrespect for our privacy. I am sure there are many who like it. But not me anymore.

Just my 2 cents!

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Stray Electron, Jacon, I wanted a rude username

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 03:11:29 am »
If you lived all these years without it, why now? Just let it go. You will not miss it.
That's precisely what I've been thinking up until now.
As it runs out however, it would appear there is a community around me I wasn't aware of
All platforms track you and there is no difference in FB.
Precisely why its FB's intrusiveness bothers me less these days.
I use it only as a means where I can find old friends with whom I have lost contact. I have all bogus data in it! Never visit the site unless someone is trying to contact me. All guards up. No one can find me unless I initiate the contact.
I kinda like my bubble, not sure I'm up for reunions  :scared:
Of late, I have started disliking Mark S. for his arrogance and disrespect for our privacy. I am sure there are many who like it. But not me anymore.
...of late? I've always disliked the way he pushes his agenda
Just my 2 cents!
Valued :-+

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, andy3055

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 08:48:32 am »
A facebook account can be beneficial for reading all the various hobbyist groups.
That is my main use for facebook.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 09:45:35 am »
Hobby groups on Facebook make me think of bible study groups meeting at starbucks.
It can certainly serve a purpose, not always yours.

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 09:47:38 am »

It's a necessary evil as a central point of contacts.
If there was another way to keep contact with old friend and relatives etc (and there was a critical mass on there) then it would would win out over facebook.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 09:48:55 am »
Hobby groups on Facebook make me think of bible study groups meeting at starbucks.
It can certainly serve a purpose, not always yours.

I used to be huge into a canyoning group that was originally on Yahoo Groups. Then someone set up a Facebook group and everyone eventually migrated over to that and I hated the interface.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 09:52:23 am »
It can become a massive time sink. I looked at my wife's facebook page once and couldn't make heads or tails from it. If you want to stay in touch then whatsapp is much easier (which is probably the reason facebook acquired whatsapp).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 01:52:42 pm »
Years ago someone set up a private forum for ex-pupils of my old school and it was quite interesting and helpful for me (I won't go into the why)

But recently a facebook group was set up and everyone migrated there. I joined it very briefly and hated the interface of it, sadly some other people who were not moderators for the forum became moderators for the facebook group and I found myself in conflict with them so I though "Stuff them and FB!" and just left. 
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 05:12:12 pm »
I hated the interface.

The facebook groups interface eventually got really usable, with file management and advanced search (per word, per user, per date, per friends of user etc)
It's also very nice to set up meetups and the like
My main use for facebook has become hanging around in electronics, snowboarding and some shitposting with friends

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 06:02:51 pm »
Read my signature below  :)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 12:15:56 am »
Speaking of interfaces I've just had the brief look at some of the groups on a desktop pc. Waiting to be accepted into some.
Are there topics and message threads like on forums? Surely it's not one message after another

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 12:34:21 am »
Here we go again. "weve noticed suspicious activity" and now I can't go any further without providing my mobile phone number :palm:

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 02:03:51 am »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.
Same for me, and China free workshop as well  ;D

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 03:09:50 am »
You'd probably be surprised how much facebook already knows about you, even if you've never visited their site. It's very, very hard these days to maintain any semblance of privacy on the internet. It actually may not even be possible without some very strong legislation being enacted.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 03:27:21 am »
You'd probably be surprised how much facebook already knows about you, even if you've never visited their site. It's very, very hard these days to maintain any semblance of privacy on the internet. It actually may not even be possible without some very strong legislation being enacted.

That is, without using a pseudonym and Tor to hide your IP. Unfortunately all these sites require "verification" through phone numbers, which means if you are going to try complete anonymity you will need to buy a prepaid SIM with some phone number just to get a text verification code (but don't use the phone to access Facebook, use a security-laden anonymity OS like Tails, Edward Snowden's favourite Linux distro). There may actually be online vanity numbers you can also get to handle that. But then if you do that, what is the advantage in using Facebook? I agree, if you haven't gone on Facebook yet, consider yourself lucky and don't start.  :-+  It gets overwhelming fast and a huge time waster.
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 02:19:24 pm »
It seems that once you create a facebook account you're basically trapped forever unless new laws are enacted. Though you can now sort of untangle yourself, just not completely.

https://www.vox.com/2020/1/28/21112380/facebook-activity-tool-data

A short informative video concerning cookies, tracking, and advertising in general which includes some commentary from the guy who invented browser cookies.

https://www.vox.com/open-sourced/2020/2/3/21116801/ads-internet-sites-cookies

or

https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=HFyaW50GFOs

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 02:52:46 pm »
True. Even websites like Farnell have Facebook tracking. I've put facebook.com in my computer's hosts file to make it point to nowhere.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 03:59:49 pm »
The only reason I was on Facebook was to look at the Neon 816 project. But now my account has been disabled, I've no idea why, they just say "because Terms and Conditions". To recover it, I would need to upload ID and have it verified (because fake ID is impossible to acquire ::)), why would I bother with that? No other website has required ID just to use it!

So now I'm pretty much thinking f**k Facebook.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 06:26:31 pm »
Now the latest scary thing is FB wants to create a digital currency! I hope that does not go through. The last thing the world needs is some brash a-hole taking control of the monetary system that is best left for legitimately elected governments.

Please note that this is not to be taken as a political statement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf