Author Topic: Farnell UK - web site updated, database broken?  (Read 462 times)

Offline AndyC_772Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Farnell UK - web site updated, database broken?
« on: May 08, 2024, 12:12:11 pm »
Hi

Would someone mind please checking this for me...?

This morning I needed to order some resistors: 4.99k, 0402, 1%. Must be in stock.

Bug 1: Parametric search of chip SMD resistors alone shows over 600 varieties with a value of 4k99 in the database - but only 32 of them have values populated for tolerance or package size. The rest have those critical database entries empty. Oops...!

Bug 2: I narrowed down my search by ticking the 'in stock' filter, then using the free text search to look for "0402" and then "1%". This does result in a plausible number of in-stock items I might choose. Pick any one of them, add to basket, and get a "page not found" error for my trouble. So I can't actually buy the parts after all, even after I've found them.

Tried with the current versions of both Firefox (my usual browser, various plugins that do sometimes break things), and Edge (completely clean install, rarely used, no plugins at all). Same problem.

Farnell support emailed me back with a very generic copy/paste response - clear cookies and cache, etc. I don't think for a moment the agent actually read my message or checked to see if there was an actual problem.

They've clearly made some changes to the site recently. Parametric search is now back to full speed, having been completely broken in Firefox since the Avnet rebrand - but maybe that's just because the actual parameters being searched have gone AWOL. I was quite excited for a minute or so, until I realised it was now even more broken.

Before I email them back to say "no, it really is you, not me", I'd like to be 100% sure.

Is it working for you? Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 12:14:04 pm by AndyC_772 »

Offline woofy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
Re: Farnell UK - web site updated, database broken?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 02:43:28 pm »
Seems to be working on this random part.

Offline AndyC_772Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 05:28:14 pm »
Thanks for checking.

On the page for that particular product, I see "Resistance Tolerance", "Resistor Case / Package" and "Temperature Coefficient" all have a value of 0.

https://uk.farnell.com/yageo/rc0402fr-074k99l/res-4k99-1-0-0625w-0402-thick/dp/3495638

Do you get the same?

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 05:36:02 pm »
Thanks for checking.

On the page for that particular product, I see "Resistance Tolerance", "Resistor Case / Package" and "Temperature Coefficient" all have a value of 0.

https://uk.farnell.com/yageo/rc0402fr-074k99l/res-4k99-1-0-0625w-0402-thick/dp/3495638

Do you get the same?

I seem to.  Here is a text dump of what I see:
Product Information

Resistance:
    4.99kohm
Resistance Tolerance:
Power Rating:
    62.5mW
Resistor Case / Package:
Temperature Coefficient:
Voltage Rating:
    50V
Product Length:
    1mm
Product Width:
    0.5mm
Operating Temperature Min:
    -55°C
Operating Temperature Max:
    155°C
Qualification:
    -

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 06:05:04 pm »
I've tried some similar things to test it (e.g. small capacitors 0402 and 0603), they also seem to have a tolerance of '0', even though, the description had tolerances, such as 5%.

So yes, it does seem to be buggy.

The following users thanked this post: AndyC_772

Offline 807

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 02:44:24 pm »
Hi

Would someone mind please checking this for me...?

This morning I needed to order some resistors: 4.99k, 0402, 1%. Must be in stock.

Bug 1: Parametric search of chip SMD resistors alone shows over 600 varieties with a value of 4k99 in the database - but only 32 of them have values populated for tolerance or package size. The rest have those critical database entries empty. Oops...!

Bug 2: I narrowed down my search by ticking the 'in stock' filter, then using the free text search to look for "0402" and then "1%". This does result in a plausible number of in-stock items I might choose. Pick any one of them, add to basket, and get a "page not found" error for my trouble. So I can't actually buy the parts after all, even after I've found them.

Tried with the current versions of both Firefox (my usual browser, various plugins that do sometimes break things), and Edge (completely clean install, rarely used, no plugins at all). Same problem.

Farnell support emailed me back with a very generic copy/paste response - clear cookies and cache, etc. I don't think for a moment the agent actually read my message or checked to see if there was an actual problem.

They've clearly made some changes to the site recently. Parametric search is now back to full speed, having been completely broken in Firefox since the Avnet rebrand - but maybe that's just because the actual parameters being searched have gone AWOL. I was quite excited for a minute or so, until I realised it was now even more broken.

Before I email them back to say "no, it really is you, not me", I'd like to be 100% sure.

Is it working for you? Thanks!

I tried in FF, Chrome & Edge with same results. Looks like some of the filters are broken & you need to use the "Search within" at the top of the screen. I didn't get the "page not found" when added to basket though, but it did take a very long time for them to show in basket (20, maybe 30 seconds).

The whole site seems slow & sluggish on occasions. When using Chrome, I even got an "Access denied" message after turning off Adblock Plus & refreshing the page. I had to close the tab & start again.

The following users thanked this post: AndyC_772, MK14

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf