Author Topic: CTIA inline remote control protocol(s) and vendor-specific extension?  (Read 2351 times)

Offline linux-worksTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
anyone here familiar or experienced in this stuff?

I'm talking about the TRRS small size headphone jack that has a 4th band for remote control.  I've read here:

http://www.wisebread.com/build-a-cable-to-control-your-android-phone-while-you-drive

and other places that its resistance based for some functions and 0 ohms to gnd for play/pause.  I have an android earbud cable that has this function and also a base noise cancelling cable that does this, as well.

here's where I'm a little confused; I tried using this cable on a player I recently bought (Fiio x3-II) and that claims to have ctia remote ability.  ok, fine, go to its config menu (on the audio player), enable the remote control option and lets see what happens.  I plug the cable with the 4 bands into the phones-out jack and press buttons.  the pause/play button does actually toggle those modes, so that's great.  but skip back and forward don't do anything.

then, just while trying random stuff, I multiclicked on the pause button.  that changed songs!  lets try some variations, 2 clicks and 3 clicks.  yup, that skips one way and the other way.  that's the 4 functions, but they are overloaded on the play/pause 0ohm-to-gnd band (or button) and the restance-based style does not seem to be supported by this player.

has anyone seen this before or know if this is just a vendor-strangeness thing?  I just happened to figure this out by trying multiclicking and I'm not even sure what made me do that ;)  I can now create some small controller that will receive my command and translate to multi-tap stuff, but it just seems strange that they'd do it this way on the player and become incompatible with, what seems to be a standard that uses R values and not pulses on a single band.

I have not tried to contact the vendor yet, but curious if anyone has seen this or tried to work with this inline remote stuff before.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf