Author Topic: Fcc licenses on a Resume?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Jesset1996.5Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fcc licenses on a Resume?
« on: October 27, 2021, 10:24:51 pm »
Hello all,
Im a 2 semesters away from graduating with an bs in EET and I was thinking about getting a (General Radiotelephone operator license, a radiotelegraph operators license  and possibly a ship radar endorsement) to make my resume stand out from the crowd. From an employers standpoint ( like a manager who hires people for electronics jobs) What's your honest opinion? Does this make me a better candidate or is it something that would only be job specific?

Personally in most jobs I feel it would make me more useful as these licenses grant me quite a few abilities that your average employee would not legally be able to do if ever needed. Even if its not something that's needed at the time, it would definitely make me an invaluable asset.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Fcc licenses on a Resume?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 10:44:12 pm »
Well ... I worked in aerospace for 24 years in electronic warfare labs. Met a lot of people with and without electronics degrees. I never met one that spoke of having any of those licenses nor did I ever hear anyone say anything about getting one. I fact I've never met anyone anywhere that had one that I know of.

As to whether a manager would like to see it, I do not know.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 11:03:17 pm »
As an interviewer, I like to see evidence that a candidate does more than is required by their course (or job). If they do more because they enjoy it, then they are more likely to enjoy their job.

I don't much care what constitutes "more". It could be a useful qualification, but I look favourably on someone that has set themself a "stretch" goal, planned it, implemented it, and can say what went well and what they would do better next time.

Beware of qualifications that are simply a piece of paper indicating that you "did work". I want to know why and what you learned.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 11:09:52 pm »
I don't see why not.  If nothing else, a callsign can be used almost as an honorary title (name, callsign at the top for instance).  Doesn't have to be prominently placed, even (like, I wouldn't put it as a whole headline in the qualifications section).

It shows at least some modest amount of willingness to see something through, accountability (a fair amount of personal information is publicly listed on the license), and, possibly of civic responsibility or something like that?  Mind, it needn't be a sign of technical prowess (most hams are nontechnical, remember there's plenty of market for radios, antennas/kits, etc., and no shortage of misinformation among them..), so don't position it as a big deal with respect to such things -- but I'd think it's good with supporting information (like if you have all those good things with E&M or radio design or RF or EMC, and a license cherry on top).

But that's just my guess, I haven't talked to anyone on this, at least not for a while heh.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 11:14:49 pm »
If you're interviewing for something involving RF it might buy you a few points. Or if you happen to get interviewed by a fellow ham. If I saw a callsign on a resume it would probably pique my interest since I'd know what it is, but depending on the job the people interviewing you might not even recognize it. Whatever the case, you should make sure you highlight the skills that are relevant to the particular job you're applying for.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 11:15:53 pm »
Mind, it needn't be a sign of technical prowess (most hams are nontechnical, remember there's plenty of market for radios, antennas/kits, etc., and no shortage of misinformation among them..),
I fully agree with this! Most hams are radio operators, not design engineers!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 11:19:11 pm »
Mind, it needn't be a sign of technical prowess (most hams are nontechnical, remember there's plenty of market for radios, antennas/kits, etc., and no shortage of misinformation among them..),

Ahem ... those licenses he's speaking of are not amateur radio licenses. Completely different animals than a ham license (which I have).

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 04:10:29 am »
As far as I know, the marine related licenses that he's talking about getting do not imply any greater technical ability than a ham license. They are all mostly about knowing the rules and how to responsibly use the equipment so that you don't interfere with anyone else's use of the spectrum.

Offline Kerlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 06:32:28 am »
My advise -

Don't worry about if you do or don't put it.

Just keep collecting them. We have a Broadcast Operators Certificate of Proficiency (B.O.C.P) and a similar TV Operators Certificate(T.V.O.C.P.).
Then still keep going with Security industry license, Electrician License, Cabling license with all endorsements for Fiber, coax, CAT5, Riggers license for climbing towers including rescue certification  and more, and more, and more.
Plus a few Degrees and and a few Diplomas, just do them part time while you work.
One of the BIG secrets is that it gets to the stage that when you do a course you get so many exemptions you only need to do a few subjects.
Flow it up with decades of local and overseas experience, with designed products on the market and with references, never, never, never stop.

Then when you apply for a job you can be so painfully over confident that you can choose what you want, reverse the tables on them.
During an interview I always make sure I have an argument with them just to see how they take it, helps me decide if I want to work there.
Also visit the place after hours to see how many work back, I am always the most prolific at that, but won't except it as a must.

Slap down the full 1+kilograms of papers on their desk, I make sure it makes a big noise.
I just pick my current flavor of electronics and swap out when and where I want.
Leave them no choice who they take, I'm even deaf - makes no difference. I just tell them because I am deaf so I have to measure and check things, I do nothing by ear.

I had the biggest laughs when my cousin said "There is something wrong it seems you just cant keep a job". 
And when I was telling my sister about the education I had put into my career, that has continued for over 30 years her truck driver husband said " Gee you must be a slow learner"  Haaaahaaahaaa

I used to think a ham ticket was big but its not a professional qualification. There is plenty more, forget it and keep going, on and on and love it.

For some motivation do spend some time to check out Mr Dave our benefactor here on this board, I am green with envy. What a way go, is it his hobby or his career?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 08:02:48 am by Kerlin »
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 03:50:38 pm »
While i do have a callsign, these are commercial licenses. one of which replaced the old first class license of which they no longer offer. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 04:01:20 pm »

Ahem ... those licenses he's speaking of are not amateur radio licenses. Completely different animals than a ham license (which I have).

Indeed, I guess I should have been more clear that these are commercial licenses. One of which replaced the first class license which would get you hired at any broadcast station without the need of a degree. I know a few who got hired just because they had that license, and they weren't going for a broadcast related job either.

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 10:36:58 pm »
My general radiotelephone operators license has been on my resume for more than 30 years. Cant say anyone has ever asked about it, but it fills white space.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 03:23:40 am »
GROL / Phone with Ship Radar on resume yes. Amateur can go under personal interest or hobby.

Had one potential employer ask during interview if I had my Handheld Jedi  Knights's standard two meter radio slash lightsaber in the car.  When I explained that I had used it in pre-cellular days to summon an ambulance in a multi car accident he changed his tone to one of respect.

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 06:36:41 am »
I list on resume my ability to send and receive Morse Code at 10 WPM, along with the myriad of data communications protocols and technologies I am well familiar with. Besides engineering qualifications and experience, it has done me no harm. If anything it has sparked a few interesting questions. It is definitely worth putting obscure interests down. Remember, qualifications and experience are not everything in choosing a candidate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf