Author Topic: Filament LED bulbs, Jack connector arrays, ceramic cap linearity  (Read 2669 times)

Offline YansiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Hi,
I have a three completely unrelated questions:

http://www.talaled.com/uploads/3/1/0/9/31090387/s825693237280359478_p18_i1_w640.jpeg
Do these type of bulb have an inverter? or are they powered directly from mains? How's than managed the current to be constant with the varying voltage? (considering the VA characteristic of LED) Cause I don't see any place in the bulb on the picture, where the costant source driver circuitry should fit  :wtf:

Have you seen this type of jack array connectors at any component supplier? (See picture in attachement please) They have somewhat standard imperial-grid (0,1 inch) fotprints, tied together and colored inlets? Where can  I buy them? (Yes it is a sound card type conector array - exactly that I need)

Would you consider a ceramic capacitor with same capacity (eg 1uF) and dielectric (eg X7R) but higher voltage rating to be more linear considering the same bias voltage and voltage swing accross the cap? I simply needed a coupling cap for audio signal level stuff for a simple project, and my mind has gone: "Oh well, using a ceramic in a signal path... crap! But I don't have any aluminium electrolyte caps of 1uF... nor have I  1uF tantalum in my drawer. What will I do? Wait a minute, will the change of voltage rating of the ceramic change something, if I overrate the voltage?"  So how does really "the linearity" of X7R ceramic cap (at the same operating conditions) change when changing the voltage rating of the cap? Will there be any difference, between distortion produced by 6.3V rated cap and 50V cap?

Thank you for your help,
Y.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Filament LED bulbs, Jack connector arrays, ceramic cap linearity
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 02:14:06 am »
http://www.talaled.com/uploads/3/1/0/9/31090387/s825693237280359478_p18_i1_w640.jpeg
Do these type of bulb have an inverter? or are they powered directly from mains?

You really don't need much of anything.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:05:16 am »
Would you consider a ceramic capacitor with same capacity (eg 1uF) and dielectric (eg X7R) but higher voltage rating to be more linear considering the same bias voltage and voltage swing accross the cap? I simply needed a coupling cap for audio signal level stuff for a simple project, and my mind has gone: "Oh well, using a ceramic in a signal path... crap! But I don't have any aluminium electrolyte caps of 1uF... nor have I  1uF tantalum in my drawer. What will I do? Wait a minute, will the change of voltage rating of the ceramic change something, if I overrate the voltage?"  So how does really "the linearity" of X7R ceramic cap (at the same operating conditions) change when changing the voltage rating of the cap? Will there be any difference, between distortion produced by 6.3V rated cap and 50V cap?

I'd be far more worried about microphony than distortion on a coupling capacitor!

Yes, the C(V) curve is more-or-less proportional to the voltage rating, so it is substantially linear for voltages under 20% of ratings.

More importantly, the linearity is considerably better for small voltages swings, due to calculus.  There's no way you'll see > 0.1% distortion, at the cutoff frequency, for a 1V RMS signal.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline YansiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 10:10:37 am »
sleemanj: Thanks, taht explains why they suggest using trailing edge dimmers with these bulbs. (That fact was originally the starting point of my investigation).

T3sl4co1l: Microphony, linearity and all sorts of that things were in the cr*p word in my description. I needed to build and test an SMD circuit very fast... but I changed my mind and tommorow I'm going to buy tantalum cap.  Size A (EIA3216) fits exacly the 1206 pads I left on the board yesterday, for the 1 mike 50 volt ceramic.
And yea, the smaller the swing accross the cap, the smaller the capacity change. Cap was calculated for the cuttof to be round about 8 Hz, so the voltage acrross cap in the passband should be small enough.

I admit I have never got caught by ceramic cap microphony phenomenon. For THT, I use foil/ellytic automaticaly as needed, but I haven't done much audio stuff in surface mount. Maybe I will make an experiment. What do you suggest to use as a cercap and PCB configuration, to magnify the the phenomenon? Would be interesting and educative, to make and SMD cap microphone...  >:D I think mechanical stress make the capacity change, so I should use some thin PCB substrate for that.. (and apply some DC bias to get the result)

Thx for replies
Y

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf