Author Topic: Finally a viable alternative to Australia's National Broadband Network!  (Read 4251 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Finally a viable alternative to Australia's National Broadband Network!
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 08:09:43 am »
This is how Kiwi Mom and Pop ISP's are addressing the big Telco's failures to deliver a decent data service:

All Ubiquity 5 GHz gear for a wider community data service and also serving as a midpoint hop to 2 other installations to cover more subscriber connections.

Three 300W PV panels via a solar controller charging four 165AH 12V SLA's in a series parallel configuration for 24V powering a single 6 port DC POE switch that powers everything. No inverters !
https://www.netonix.com/wisp-switch/ws-8-150-dc.html

Panels, cabinet and pole HW.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2019, 08:17:33 am »
I've never seen dishes mounted that low.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2019, 08:31:13 am »
Move 25m in the direction that any are pointed and the ground drops away substantially.
Wasn't any need to place them any higher.

Pole is just 6m high, quite high enough when you're up there !  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: StillTrying

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2019, 09:10:40 pm »
FTTH is the only cure.
Once you try the fiber at home, the rest is all crap.

Yup. In Spain they are rolling out FTTH everywhere, whether you like it or not.

OTOH, The population density for most of the population is pretty high so that makes it easier.

I am told Australia is quite big and if the population is spread out it might make things more expensive.  But, really, if you get fiber to the node you might as well go all the way to the home.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2019, 09:17:49 pm »

I've never seen electric fences so neatly done here in Spain. Just last week I was traveling with my wife and we saw plenty which were one or two wires, shoddily held in place, at so low height that animals could probably easily jump over them. They looked like temporary things. I guess the cows know the effect of touching them and stay away. And they are too lazy to jump.

Rather than bare wires they had ribbon-like conductors. I guess that makes them more visible and scary to the animals.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline ozcar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2019, 10:09:12 pm »
We have been on NBN FTTN for close to 2 years now. If the copper goes by the most obvious route (and I don't know if it does or not), then the node is about 570m from us. Maximum sync rate is about 62/33 Mbps down/up, but we have no need for speed and are on the cheapest plan our RSP offers which is 25/5 Mbps with 100GB monthly data quota for AUD55 per month.

Last time I checked, probably close to a year ago, we were using only 10GB per month. When we first cut over to NBN we were paying AUD10 less per month for I think it was 50GB per month (still way more than we were using). However, NBNco decided they were not getting enough per month from each user on average, so re-jigged the wholesale prices to push customers onto more expensive plans (I guess the AUD50+ billion has to come from somewhere).

At least our connection has been rock-solid - no problems at all, in contrast to some of our immediate neighbours, including a 90+ year old woman who only wanted a "home phone" but was left stranded without for six months.

Certainly there are cheaper alternatives for our meagre needs, but I really can't be bothered.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2019, 10:45:33 pm »

I've never seen electric fences so neatly done here in Spain. Just last week I was traveling with my wife and we saw plenty which were one or two wires, shoddily held in place, at so low height that animals could probably easily jump over them. They looked like temporary things. I guess the cows know the effect of touching them and stay away. And they are too lazy to jump.

Rather than bare wires they had ribbon-like conductors. I guess that makes them more visible and scary to the animals.
Yep all that. The various Poly wire/tapes are used to enhance stock visibility.
What you can see here is normal fencing later bolstered with the addition of hot wires as it's a boundary fence between neighbours. New permanent electric fencing is much neater again....or should be if it's to last.
All our new permanent fencing is done with 2.5mm galv high tensile wire whereas in the distant past the good ol #8g (4mm) soft galv wire was used.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2019, 09:21:31 am »
FTTH is the only cure.
Once you try the fiber at home, the rest is all crap.

Yup. In Spain they are rolling out FTTH everywhere, whether you like it or not.

OTOH, The population density for most of the population is pretty high so that makes it easier.

I am told Australia is quite big and if the population is spread out it might make things more expensive.  But, really, if you get fiber to the node you might as well go all the way to the home.

Portugal main cities and medium density population areas are all covered by FTTH.

Vodafone are rolling out FTTH to 2.75 million homes (2/3 of the country) by the end of 2016.

ZON was created from TVCabo's spin-off from Portugal Telecom. Subsequently, a large group of smaller cable operators was bought into the new company. TVTEL was the first Portuguese ISP to offer FTTH services initially in Oeiras (near Lisbon) and also in Porto, Pluricanal is another ISP that offers this kind of access in some neighborhoods on the outskirts of Lisbon. Both TVTel and Pluricanal are now a part of ZON. ZON based its current expansion program not on the FTTH network, but in upgrading the HFC (cable) network to Eurodocsys3.0 at 200 Mbit/s on cable and 1 Gbit/s using FTTH.

But since 2012, ZON has been acquired by NOS.

Sonaecom with Optimus Clix Fibra was the arguably the first to invest in a large-scale fiber optical network, to cover 1,000,000 people by 2011, the triple-play packages includes maximum speeds of 360/36 Mbit/s (down/upstream), TV with +150 channels over FTTH and IPTV. The company was first to offer such service in Portugal. Currently after ZON and NOS were merged, they have about 4 million customers and now offering up to 1000/100 Mbit/s (down/upstream), TV with +150 channels with 4K ability over FTTH and IPTV.

Portugal Telecom launched the FTTH service in May 2009, Meo Fibra offers a triple-play service at a maximum speed (for now) of 1000/200 Mbit/s (download/upload), more than 200 TV channels over IPTV and VoIP phone; the coverage is still limited, but the expansion of the fiber is still underway across the country. They are planning to finish the expansion by 2020. A special notice should be mentioned about the late development of PT FTTH network since due to previous "unbundling" problems of the copper DSL network only after getting a guarantee from the respective authorities (Anacom) that they would not be mandated to give free/open access to other companies in their network.

In Wikipedia.

I had 100/20MB back when I was in Portugal, done lots and lots of downloads per month, close to 600GB and never was throttle or felt a decrease of speed.

But before the Fiber the fast we had was the xDSL norm and the EURODOCSYS one (currently if I'm not mistaken is already on the 1GB download speeds but only in short distances from the Fiber/Coax Multiplexer. So if the house is on that range, congrats).

https://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2017/09/08/pt-portugal-now-covers-4m-homes-with-fibre/

Mind it that my country is only almost 11 million only.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2019, 09:35:14 am »
Another way to fix the NBN is they could use the same system Game of Thrones used but for the last mile and with USB sticks.  Using Kangaroos instead of ravens might be an option too, the pouch could hold quite a few USB sticks.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf