Author Topic: FindChips.com  (Read 16907 times)

Offline JohnS_AZTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
FindChips.com
« on: October 14, 2010, 03:44:36 am »
I must confess that I rarely read the "New Member" thread here on the forum, but for some reason tonight I clicked it and found this ...

Hello, I'm Andy and I'm responsible for the FindChips.com site. I'm here to solicit any feedback that would make our offering more appealing and useful to the electronic components engineer and purchasing professional. Please drop me a line (PM or email - abrown@supplyframe.com) any time.

Presuming that some/many of you also don't always read "New Member" I thought I'd pull Andy's post up here to it's own thread.

I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
Re: FindChips.com
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 05:21:58 am »
neat site! very fast!

didn't find my chip though...  :-[

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:53:29 pm »
Presuming that some/many of you also don't always read "New Member" I thought I'd pull Andy's post up here to it's own thread.
i noticed earlier, but rather to keep quite as i'm not familiar with FindChips.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 02:10:39 pm »
Hmmm, Findchips was started by my boss at the company I used to work for.  I think he is working for NASA now.  I wonder if he sold it...

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 04:28:45 pm »
Hmmm, Findchips was started by my boss at the company I used to work for.  I think he is working for NASA now.  I wonder if he sold it...
Well, someone acquired it in August:

http://www.supplyframemedia.com/findchipscom-inventory-search-acquired-by-supplyframe.html

That someone seems to deal in advertising, and shops have now to apply for inclusion in the FindChips search. Let me guess, application needs to be accompanied by a small sum? Excuse me while I vomit.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:34:15 pm by BoredAtWork »
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 04:51:31 pm »

Yes, he sold it, I discussed this in one of The Amp Hour episodes.

Dave.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 05:26:44 pm »
Andy's registration has come after he contacted me asking about my interest in a browser plugin for their website after i  and others commented on a thread that a findchips.com plugin would be more useful than a mouser or other sole supplier plugin. I suggested he joined the forum and started a discussion on the matter but his comments in the mouser add on thread got little feedback. But anyway yes he is one of us now  :o

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 06:25:59 pm »

Yes, he sold it, I discussed this in one of The Amp Hour episodes.

Dave.

Oh, missed that.  I remember when he first created the site.  We were always needing a part from Digikey, Mouser, Arrow, etc. and I was tasked with searching all of the sites to find stock and the cheapest price.  One day he walked in and said "Hey, I whipped up a little site to consolidate all of your searches".  Pretty cool stuff.  A brilliant guy.  He was a large factor in the MIT Lego Lab courses that led to Lego Mindstorms and some other stuff.  We were sad at the company when he sold his stake and went to work on the Mars rover project at NASA.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 07:41:10 pm »
Findchips.com is great.  I use it often.

Kudos to him.  I hope he got enough to retire !
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 09:40:09 pm »
For the record, there is already a Firefox search plugin that uses findchips.com. I have installed it and it seems to works fine and it sure beats searching for that bookmark that I find gets buried in my ever growing list of bookmarks inside bookmark folders, buried down some bookmark tree off my bookmarks toolbar.....<groan>

The engine can be found at the Mycroft Project. The page lists engines in alphabetical order if you have quick eyes, or use [ctrl] + [f] to bring up your browser's search bar if you have quick fingers.  ;D You will find Octopart and many  manufacturers represented in this link as well.

Regards

Christian
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:48:03 pm by kaptain_zero »

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 11:21:56 pm »
I find it necessary to search both Octo and findchips since they neither cover all suppliers. Granted I only buy from the big 4 (mouser/digi/Farnell/RS)

Also to get a FC or octo search box you just need to use the "generate custom" search function from the google tool bar and you get a button there.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:23:52 pm by Hypernova »

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 01:45:36 am »
Just in case I was not clear in my previous post, there already is a Firefox plugin for findchips.com and Octoparts.com available from the Mycroft Project. 

after i  and others commented on a thread that a findchips.com plugin would be more useful than a mouser or other sole supplier plugin.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 12:48:26 am »
For the record, there is already a Firefox search plugin that uses findchips.com. I have installed it and it seems to works fine and it sure beats searching for that bookmark that I find gets buried in my ever growing list of bookmarks inside bookmark folders, buried down some bookmark tree off my bookmarks toolbar.....<groan>

The engine can be found at the Mycroft Project. The page lists engines in alphabetical order if you have quick eyes, or use [ctrl] + [f] to bring up your browser's search bar if you have quick fingers.  ;D You will find Octopart and many  manufacturers represented in this link as well.

Regards

Christian

Are you saying finchips.com is that hard an address to remember ?  ;D

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 03:56:34 pm »
 ;D

Regards

Kaptain" I'm sorry..... What were we talking about again?!?!" Zero

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo