Author Topic: Finding use for computer speakers  (Read 724 times)

Offline soldarTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Finding use for computer speakers
« on: January 23, 2024, 08:46:21 pm »
Some years ago a friend, a tinkerer and a hoarder, just like me, was getting divorced and asked me if I could store a lot of his junk while he got settled again. He brought lots of boxes and crates filled with his junk and left them with me. Years went by and, as anyone could have guessed he told me I could just dispose of all of it. Then several more years passed because I could not get myself to dump all of it.

Now I am trying to dispose of things slowly and I have found several boxes and crates of computer speakers. Some have the audio amplifier included but many pairs are just the speakers. It seems a couple decades ago many computer audio cards had the amplifier built-in and the user could just connect the speakers directly to the card.

So I have something like a dozen pairs of computer speakers with no amplifier, just the speakers.

I would hate to just dump them but with no amplifier I cannot even give them away... and even with amplifier I would have a hard time giving them away.

Any ideas for applications where they could be put to use?

More importantly, if I could find cheap amplifiers I could put them back to use with computers. As a starting point I have found

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272424739332

which is just the board.  I would need to add housing or enclosure (& PSU) although in some cases I might be able to fit it in the speaker enclosure. It would be even better if I could find something similar but with housing and knob included.

One drawback of this type of no-name purchase is the lack of information. At the back the board has screw connections for the speakers, barrel connector for power and 3.5 mm audio input. So far so good. But what are the jumpers near the volume control for? maybe mono/stereo? What else?

Any recommendations?

Edit: Oops! I meant to put this in General Technical Chat. Maybe a mod can move it?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 08:48:23 pm by soldar »
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

• Super Contributor
Re: Finding use for computer speakers
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 09:14:01 pm »
Thanks but please clean up the links you post and remove all the specifics of your personal session. This is the clean link:
https://www.temu.com/2-1-channel-wireless-audio-power-amplifier-module-left-channel-15w-right-channel-15w-subwoofer-30w-audio-output-g-601099537362592.html

That is very much in line with what I would be looking for but it has more functions than I need. I do not need Bluetooth or USB and could use something a bit cheaper and without those functions.

I do not know why I cannot find these things on eBay or Aliexpress. I have never used Temu so thanks for pointing me in their direction. I will have a look there.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Online tunk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 10:23:36 pm »
You could also try to search eBay etc. for e.g. "PAM8406" or "amplifier board" (all categories).

The following users thanked this post: soldar

Offline retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 10:43:38 pm »
I get lots of hits for that item on Aliexpress when I put in PAM8610. The use of the two pairs of header pins is explained in this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005196952933.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 10:47:33 pm by retiredfeline »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 11:03:28 pm »
You could also try to search eBay etc. for e.g. "PAM8406" or "amplifier board" (all categories).

I get lots of hits for that item on Aliexpress when I put in PAM8610. The use of the two pairs of header pins is explained in this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005196952933.html

Thank you both. It is so obvious to me now and yet I did not think of it myself.

I am going to order that item even if it is just to play around with it.

I will have to start thinking who I can give speakers to.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 03:19:48 pm »
In a situation like, just to get rid of stuff I have sold as a mixed lot on eBay. Take a decent picture of everything, pack in a box and sell with a starting price high enough to cover shipping and packing cost.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 06:32:12 pm »
In a situation like, just to get rid of stuff I have sold as a mixed lot on eBay. Take a decent picture of everything, pack in a box and sell with a starting price high enough to cover shipping and packing cost.
Thanks for the idea but I just can't be bothered. I don't mind preparing and repairing the stuff but I just cannot be bothered to deal with people over small things where I run a fair chance of them complaining about something.

If I could find a charity that would take them I would just give them away but it seems difficult to even give them away. Everybody I ask says they don't need or want them.

I think I will prepare one set to use in the lab for testing devices.

I might experiment using one or two to build an alarm or doorbell chime or something similar. I have ordered some of those small amps on ebay so I will have the chance to play around a bit.

Most probably most of them will go back into storage for the next ten years.

Offline retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 11:53:06 pm »
Yeah it's hard to get rid of stuff after they have gone out of fashion. Alarm or doorbell as you suggest.You don't need an amp for those applications, you can get modules for a fraction of a dollar that make chime noises to drive speakers. Also siren and space gun sounds. Check on Aliexpress. With a bluetooth amplifier board you could make BT speakers, but the sound quality of computer speakers is not great and BT speakers are already mass produced items. Good luck!

Edit: Here's an example of a sound effect module. This one plays children's tunes: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000086675101.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 04:20:41 am by retiredfeline »

The following users thanked this post: soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 11:36:07 am »
Yeah it's hard to get rid of stuff after they have gone out of fashion. Alarm or doorbell as you suggest.You don't need an amp for those applications, you can get modules for a fraction of a dollar that make chime noises to drive speakers. Also siren and space gun sounds. Check on Aliexpress. With a bluetooth amplifier board you could make BT speakers, but the sound quality of computer speakers is not great and BT speakers are already mass produced items. Good luck!

Edit: Here's an example of a sound effect module. This one plays children's tunes: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000086675101.html
Thanks. I have ordered five of those with barking dog sounds and different tunes. The barking dog sound is probably a good burglary prevention idea. The tunes can be used as doorbell.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf