Author Topic: First meters  (Read 1534 times)

Offline rrinkerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
First meters
« on: February 04, 2016, 02:20:15 pm »
 Over under a cheap multimeter thread I posted about my first meter being the really cheap Radio Shack analog one - the tiny pocket size one with the blue case. Well, I suppose you could say that was the first one that was truly mine, as in I bought and paid for it, but the first meter I had use of was actually one of these:

eBay auction: #http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conar-Appliance-tester-model-200-with-Leads-and-Manuel-/262256537297?hash=item3d0fb52ed1:g:1QIAAOSwwbdWK-wp

(not my auction, don't know this person)

The only difference was the one I had was branded NRI - my Dad at some point took their correspondence course in appliance repair. Mid 50's I would guess, after he got out of the navy. This thing was insane - there was a plug, so you could then plug a device in that outlet on the front and measure amps, and check the line voltage, then it also had the probes and an ohms setting. Power for the ohmmeter came from a D cell battery SOLDERED IN - there was a battery holder clip but no power connections, just two wires soldered right to the battery terminals.  I discovered this, and also all the books from the course, which I read cover to cover, though they were woefully out of date, sometime in the early 70's.
 Anyone else ever see one of these beauties? Sadly I no longer have it, that soldered in D cell leaked all over the insides and made a mess, plus the line cord was one of those rubber covered types which dried out and cracked.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf