Author Topic: Damn, I've been rumbled. Electricity is one of God's mysteries  (Read 5318 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Damn, I've been rumbled. Electricity is one of God's mysteries
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:08:41 am »
The sad part about that, is that I am not surprised  :(

As an aside: 12,000 Yanks study at Liberty University:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_University#Biology_and_fossils

Dave.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:12:48 am »
some people believe its always has been (the electricity).
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 03:36:55 pm »
The sad part about that, is that I am not surprised  :(

As an aside: 12,000 Yanks study at Liberty University:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_University#Biology_and_fossils

Dave.

I actually AM surprised. Why would they think electricity is inherently anti-God or anti-christ. I'm literally bewildered by their approach to the article and their platform.. I really feel like giving whoever wrote that article a bludgeoning.

I'm not saying that because I'm angry, I'm actually personally offended and I also feel like that is abuse in the highest order. You're messing those kids up for life. If they ever DO find out they've been lied to all their life it could potentially really mess them up.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 03:42:25 pm »
Stop using gravity children, it's only something we can see, feel, and touch what it does. It's entirely god-less and its use must be abandoned!

Wait, I thought of a better one... God - someone who you can only see, feel, and touch what he does...

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:25:54 am »
It's more a symptom of a dumbed down society than anything sinister the "Christians" are doing.

I've actually read the first sentence in various "Popular Science" publications.
In those cases,however, they go on to give a reasonable description of what is known about Electricity,its uses etc.
It looks like the author of this crud read the first sentence of one of these descriptions & lost interest.

There are probably as many ignorant "non-believers" as there are ignorant "Holy Rollers" of all persuasions.
Most religious people are good,sensible folk ,but the idiots get the exposure!

I'm not a religious person,& the loony 'Holy Rollers" get my goat,but fair is fair!

VK6ZGO

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 08:34:32 am »
Sometimes, I also feel that electronics is a mystery, at least parts of it. Usually, those parts are my doing, not God's. Eventually, I'll figure it out, so I guess that is another prove that I have divine powers over my desktop.  ;)
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 09:57:14 am »
Shock and Awe: The Story of Electricity   http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00kjq6h

If you can get a hold of this documentary, its quite good. Back in the early days the discovery of electricity was mainly used as a magic trick  ;D Gives you quite a perspective on what people first thought when none of it was properly understood.

Online Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 09:50:18 pm »
Electricity comes from sheep. I can prove it, plus the Christian connection. Sheep are, if you believe in that sort of thing, godly. After all, look around at Christmas time and what do you see? Scenes of shepards and sheep. It's a wonder Serta hasn't cashed in on the connection. Anyway, assuming you don't eat the poor thing, sheep provide fleece (see, you also get fleeced at Christmas, but that's another story) and from the fleece you get wool. From the wool you get yarn. Now, knit a pair of wool socks (my wife makes great ones). Shuffle across the floor in wool socks and touch a doorknob. ZAP! Proof that electricity comes from sheep.

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 11:13:39 pm »
Electricity comes from sheep. I can prove it, plus the Christian connection. Sheep are, if you believe in that sort of thing, godly. After all, look around at Christmas time and what do you see? Scenes of shepards and sheep. It's a wonder Serta hasn't cashed in on the connection. Anyway, assuming you don't eat the poor thing, sheep provide fleece (see, you also get fleeced at Christmas, but that's another story) and from the fleece you get wool. From the wool you get yarn. Now, knit a pair of wool socks (my wife makes great ones). Shuffle across the floor in wool socks and touch a doorknob. ZAP! Proof that electricity comes from sheep.

Haha, quite creative flow of logic you have there! :D

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 12:05:08 am »
Electricity comes from sheep. ...

But I think the sheep must be rotated through a field.  Which is why the shepherd is in charge.

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 08:06:13 am »
 ;D
Sheep - a fluffy alternative to coal, gas and nuclear?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 09:39:23 am »

Conrad,if you had ever been on the downwind side of one of the live sheep export ships that sail out of Fremantle,you might modify your opinion of their godliness.

They certainly smell ungodly!

The old time cattle drovers in Oz used to call them "Woolyback Stinkers".
Time & circumstances caught up with them all,though, & they had to swallow their pride & work with sheep!

VK6ZGO

Offline Cj1corbystarlet

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 10:19:06 am »
VK6ZGO,

I have the fun task every couple of months working on live  sheep and cattle ships at Fremantle port.

Yes the odour is "Tasty " to say the least

Ben

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 02:43:11 pm »
Dear Conrad Hoffman et al.:

--I have worked with sheep on my uncle's farm is South Dakota. My least favorite job was sewing  prolapsed recta back into place. While I like the wooly critters, I never made a ewe turn or got a charge out of one. Any guesses as to how the Satyr (half man half goat) might have come about. I know. I know. I am baaaad.

--The quote from the Fundamentalist 4th grade new letter sounded a lot like the Richard Feynman explanation of magnetism. Which was Feynman's polite way of saying "you (and you average audience member) could not possibly understand anything I had to say about virtual photons. Except, of course, for the extremely daffy part about some people thinking that electricity comes from the sun, huh. In this case I think is was the author who lacked understanding, and probably some of the 4th graders had a superior understanding. Indeed the article was on a par with public school teachings about economics. The quote also sounded like the meanderings of a Gaea Guru.

"I have had my results for a long time: but I do not yet now how I am to arrive at them." Carl Friedrich Gauss 1777 1855

Best Regards
Clear Ether
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:57:19 pm by SgtRock »

Online Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 09:35:54 pm »
Can't let it pass that the rotating through the field comment is Tesla brilliant, and I love the term "Woolyback Stinkers". I've got to figure out a way to use that in conversation.

Offline ThePranksta

• Contributor
    • Lattech Systems
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 06:48:30 am »
My least favorite job was sewing  prolapsed recta back into place

WTF!!!  :o :o :o :o :o

There I thought that Kiwis and Aussies did that to sheep.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf