Author Topic: Fluke 233 alternative  (Read 15157 times)

Offline hacklordsniperTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
Fluke 233 alternative
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:13:00 pm »
Im wondering is there any? I like the product but it has few flaws for which im sucessfuly avoiding it for now. Did any other manufacturer clone this design (deatachable display)?

Google does not have an answer  :)
Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
Re: Fluke 233 alternative
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 03:30:58 pm »
Did any other manufacturer clone this design (deatachable display)?

Only me I can understand your motives about saying something like that.  :)   ( Overpriced Fluke items in Europe)

But I do have a question for you, what if the price was equal to what someone would have to pay in USA,
would you buy it ? 

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 04:38:58 pm »
Hello!

Yes the prices of Fluke are usually 2-3 X times bigger than in USA and it hurted when i bought my Scopemeter. But however its not point of discussion here since im only interested does an alternative exsist?

IF the 233 would have mA range and some other little things to be more "electronics" meter, a rechargable battery in head (and body too) i would buy it.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:11:26 pm »
I'm considering modifying my 233 to reduce the IR LED drive currents by increasing the series resistor. When the units are docked they don't need to be driven at full power, and when they are undocked the RF link takes over anyway.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:39:55 am »
I'm considering modifying my 233 to reduce the IR LED drive currents by increasing the series resistor. When the units are docked they don't need to be driven at full power, and when they are undocked the RF link takes over anyway.

It will not be a great saving but it will possibly improve little. I would wonder if Fluke did not allready think about it

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 11:09:21 am »
I hink there was a Chinese supplier who had a system like the fluke 233.....but the System on the Unit was fixed and there was a secondary remote display.
I will have to search for that one. I stumbled over that some weeks ago.  To be honest I can't say anything about the quality, but it may be worth a look at least.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 12:19:05 pm »
I hink there was a Chinese supplier who had a system like the fluke 233.....but the System on the Unit was fixed and there was a secondary remote display.
I will have to search for that one. I stumbled over that some weeks ago.  To be honest I can't say anything about the quality, but it may be worth a look at least.

Please let me know when you find it?

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 01:09:52 pm »
After the last incident in this forum, that was an forum member who was totally unsatisfied,
with the battery life of the removable display of the Fluke 233.
It is an surprise to me, that this specific design had start to earn new friends.  :) 

I do not have any suggestion about an equivalent model right now,
but I will pass the news if I do find anything. 

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 01:16:44 pm »
After the last incident in this forum, that was an forum member who was totally unsatisfied,
with the battery life of the removable display of the Fluke 233.
It is an surprise to me, that this specific design had start to earn new friends.  :) 

Im watching this multimeter from the times they posted a first upcoming release on their website. I have many situations where this multimeter would save me, but im ignoring it until they make it more "electronics" and fix some flaws.

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 01:22:40 pm »

Please let me know when you find it?

Yes, sure. I will follow my traces to find it again and post a link here.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 01:29:58 pm »
In 99.9% of real world use what is it that the 233 achieves that could not be achieved with a longer set of quality test leads.
It's clever and all that but is the extra complexity, poor battery life etc worth that?
I cannot help but think it's may skill is looking impressive on initial encouters. For my money I can see wow value and then lots about a 233 I don't think I'd want to live with.

I'd be interested in hearing the more sane reasons about why the format is worth its apparent downsides?

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 01:57:14 pm »
I found it again, but I have to correct myself.
It has been a clamp-meter made by Der ee
http://www.deree.com.tw/de-35.htm

Another thing I came across soem days ago. CEM (the chinese Fluke-287-Clone manufacturer) has an Android APP to acess the bluetooth enabled meters and devices. For occasional work that could work, too.
http://de.appbrain.com/app/meterbox/com.cem.androidclient.MultimeterCloud

Alex

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 02:44:31 pm »
In 99.9% of real world use what is it that the 233 achieves that could not be achieved with a longer set of quality test leads.
It's clever and all that but is the extra complexity, poor battery life etc worth that?
I cannot help but think it's may skill is looking impressive on initial encouters. For my money I can see wow value and then lots about a 233 I don't think I'd want to live with.

I'd be interested in hearing the more sane reasons about why the format is worth its apparent downsides?

I will share one example that came to mind, without implying that the 233 is the best solution for it.

In an internal combustion engine test cell the door must be sealed shut for the test bed to operate. The only entry point for cables to the room is a hole in the floor leading to under the test bed. Passing any leads from there requires concete floor tiles to be lifted. In that situation a wireless based solution is ideal for quick tests.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 02:47:47 pm »
Exactly like that, i need many times to leave meter in one room or close door behind myself to start measuring. Having so long test leads is not always best solution.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 07:36:18 pm »
I will share one example that came to mind, without implying that the 233 is the best solution for it.
Thanks Alex, I wasn't aiming to start meter wars or poke fun at those who have selected a 233, I am genuinely curious about which situations would show the 233 as a must have.

In an internal combustion engine test cell .............
Yes I can see where that makes perfect sense. Not something a great many would encounter on a routine basis of there work but yes I can see the 233 having real advantages in that situation.

Exactly like that, i need many times to leave meter in one room or close door behind myself to start measuring. Having so long test leads is not always best solution.
Um why? What day to day situation (such as the potential engine detonation) dictates you must retire to safety between every attachment of the meter test probes?

Alex

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 08:23:11 pm »
Unfortunately the 233 does not appear to be Ex rated, which would be a nice accompanying feature for a wireless DMM.

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 11:49:29 pm »
you could add a spp bluetooth dongle like the rn-41 to a serial enabled meter like uni-t's ut-61d.  you can then use your laptop, phone, additional display, whatever. rn-41 is a very handy tool for quickly converting serial devices into wireless.
-sj

Alex

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 11:55:55 pm »
Thats a great idea sonic. I guess one can use the usually optical serial port on meters say like the fluke 289 and gain the advantages of the 233. Then the receiver should appear as a COM port to be readily usable by say Fluke View Forms. Is there a commercial product to do just this?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 12:07:38 am »

In an internal combustion engine test cell the door must be sealed shut for the test bed to operate. The only entry point for cables to the room is a hole in the floor leading to under the test bed. Passing any leads from there requires concete floor tiles to be lifted. In that situation a wireless based solution is ideal for quick tests.

Wouldn't such a cell be provided with hardwired metering?
VK6ZGO

Alex

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 12:19:11 am »
Oh loads. But you always seem to need a sensor where you dont have one for the experiment. Say you need a thermocouple at a specific point connected to a logging DMM. It is very inflexible and LabView based...

A wireless scope probe would be even more useful, if one has come across any.

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 05:06:46 am »
As a mostly residential and light commercial electrician I can't say much about where wireless would be a "must have" per se, but I can sure think of a lot of situations where it would save bundles of time. Tracing circuits, testing breakers/switches for instance. Last year I did an installation at a small gas pipeline monitoring station. One of the things I did was install door sensors which had to be wired in series. Testing them turned into a two man job with one guy running around activating the switches and a second standing there looking at the readouts.
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 05:20:19 am »
One of the things I did was install door sensors which had to be wired in series. Testing them turned into a two man job with one guy running around activating the switches and a second standing there looking at the readouts.

That's a real one, maybe not an everyday situation but certainly a common scenario where the 233 could shine.  Would depend very much on the available range of course.  I've used a Sonalert or sounder in that situation, which is something not always appreciated by cubicle clowns and other nearby tenants.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 06:56:26 am »

Um why? What day to day situation (such as the potential engine detonation) dictates you must retire to safety between every attachment of the meter test probes?

There is no dangerous reason in any of my work. However many times the controls are on the other side of what im measuring, so i need to put the meter, turn on the controls, come back to see the meter and then go and turn it off again. Many times the object of test and the point where i should be when testing is done is not tied together.

I dont say its impossible to work without one, but manytimes it would come handy.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 11:20:40 am »
I can't recall any non-Fluke DMM with a detachable readout but Extech and others have wireless serial connections so you can see the meter's output in realtime on your laptop using Wifi or Bluetooth.

http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=48&prodid=530
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 06:28:10 am »
Thats a great idea sonic. I guess one can use the usually optical serial port on meters say like the fluke 289 and gain the advantages of the 233. Then the receiver should appear as a COM port to be readily usable by say Fluke View Forms. Is there a commercial product to do just this?
exactly... any software you normally use to communicate via serial should work, just select the bluetooth port instead of your normal COMX port. its basically like a wireless ft232rl.

i think sparkfun has a breakout version of the rn41. looks like iteadstudio has a similar SPP module with xbee footprint on sale for $13.50usd. i personally have a spartan blue link which is just a expensive rn41 in a nice plastic case.
-sj

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf