Author Topic: Fluke 233 alternative  (Read 15219 times)

Uncle Vernon

Re: Fluke 233 alternative
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 07:06:22 am »
There is no dangerous reason in any of my work. However many times the controls are on the other side of what im measuring, so i need to put the meter, turn on the controls, come back to see the meter and then go and turn it off again. Many times the object of test and the point where i should be when testing is done is not tied together.

I dont say its impossible to work without one, but manytimes it would come handy.
I guess it's personal preference and what annoyances  you routinely encounter. I can see the advantages for isolation chambers etc. and when working on things like full sized control room panels, but still believe in a lot of the situations Fluke has suggested some longer leads would be ultimately more convenient than chasing up a bucket load of batteries on a regular basis.

I'd like one, I can see where it would be a good addition to my handheld test gear locker, but there are a lot of other toys still higher on my priority list. The wireless serial option back to a knockabout netbook might be a good low cost alternative. (thinking)

Offline hacklordsniperTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 10:14:25 am »
Im not too impressed about using a netbook and bluetooth toys. First you need to pair them, then connect them.... It could be useful in a lab as static setup but doing it all the time would not be so fun. System "pull the display and use it" is only thing i would consider anywhere. If they would atleast install a rechargable in the display charged by base which will have a beefy rechargable battery inside i would buy it with specs as it is.
Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 10:25:04 am »
Yes, I would prefer the same because bringing a laptop is more bulk.  At least, you can use LSD NiMH in the Fluke to save batteries costs.  But you are left with only the Fluke solution.

If someone writes an app for Android or iPhone you can use the cellphone as a remote terminal using a wifi or bluetooth lower cost DMM as the sending unit.

Im not too impressed about using a netbook and bluetooth toys. First you need to pair them, then connect them.... It could be useful in a lab as static setup but doing it all the time would not be so fun. System "pull the display and use it" is only thing i would consider anywhere. If they would atleast install a rechargable in the display charged by base which will have a beefy rechargable battery inside i would buy it with specs as it is.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 10:29:02 am »
I wonder does Fluke listen to these customer customer wishes and needs?

I have a feeling that Fluke is simply somewhat living on the "old glory". If i look their many ranges (ScopeMeter) for example its like time has stopped long time ago.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 10:42:31 am »
Im not too impressed about using a netbook and bluetooth toys.
I can totally understand and thankfully (connect seven times out of ten) bluetooth isn't the only or cheapest serial RF option. I have the netbook there all the time for other task, so for me it'd be no issue. On site it's all about carting the minimum amount of space junk from location to location, for someone else the meter may be less clutter.

First you need to pair them, then connect them....
You'll get no argument from me about bluetooth being a kludgy piece of perpetual annoyance. some simple serial and USB RF transceivers however you just power plug and go.

If they would at least install a rechargable in the display charged by base which will have a beefy rechargable battery inside i would buy it with specs as it is.
That's my main disincentive from the 233 it looks like battery hell.
A different form factor would have probably been a lot more practical and made room for some hefty rechargables. But I guess marketing had long ago decided that a Transformers Style offshoot from a familiar design would be what the public would accept.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 10:56:55 am »
I agree with all your points. Who knows maybe Fluke listens us and will come with something up.

However i know Agilent is watching this forum too, maybe they come up with a their version. Im also suprised Chinese still did not clone this...

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 07:33:50 pm »
Fluke did listen to me in the element-14 forum. Unfortunately their response was that their customer research (this would be the marketing department) had decided that certain functions were acceptable trade-offs for a poor battery life. Conveniently neglecting that doing proper engineering would have allowed them to have both.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 08:25:20 pm »
I wonder does Fluke listen to these customer customer wishes and needs?

I have a feeling that Fluke is simply somewhat living on the "old glory". If i look their many ranges (ScopeMeter) for example its like time has stopped long time ago.

a) They do.

b) The No1 about service and support in USA, they are living in their reality, that is a super large corporation that takes a minimum risk, about getting new models every year.

Actually no one needs new models every year, but even if some one needs something as differential design from what they have in their current production,
I believe that they do their calculations, and if it looks profitable, they move on.

Kiriakos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf