Author Topic: Fluke 8010A multimeter from Ebay a good buy?  (Read 19870 times)

Offline allanwTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
Fluke 8010A multimeter from Ebay a good buy?
« on: May 15, 2010, 12:05:49 am »
So, if I can get one of these for around $40-$50 shipped from eBay, is that a good buy?

http://www.nationaltestequipment.com/unitDetails.cfm?modelID=2441

I already have a cheapie handheld multimeter and I'd only need a multimeter for bench use.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Fluke 8010A multimeter from Ebay a good buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:17:05 am »
Only if you need a manual ranging bench meter.
As a general use multimeter any autoranging handheld unit will be much more versatile.

Dave.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 02:05:28 am »
I can probably deal with the inconvenience of having to manual range. I ended up buying one for $35 shipped, probes included. As a student I'll skimp out as much as possible :P

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 06:19:03 am »
Hey Dave, I don't want to open up another thread to ask this. Which of these $100 oscilloscopes should I get? They're the only cheap ones in my area.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/sys/1740738253.html
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/sys/1722818151.html

The 75MHz seems better but I can't find any information about it online, so I'm not sure it'd be easy to service (although it seems like you could buy the service manual from some sites)

alm

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:14:29 am »
About auto ranging: IMO it's just a convenience feature, it doesn't make the meter any more versatile. Plenty of people who swear by manual ranging meters and swear at auto ranging ones ;). I wouldn't buy a manual ranging meter unless it had some other desirable feature, but I'd prefer an old Fluke (even if it doesn't have as much features) to any meter than you can get for $35 shipped new.

I'm not Dave, but I'd choose the 75MHz one. Philips is a fairly decent brand of oscilloscopes (it's not Tek, but neither is BK Precision). Documentation is usually easily available (but not for free). Philips don't use many custom parts, so that makes them fairly easy to repair.

Apart from the better brand/scope, the ad for the Philips scope looks much more appealing to me:
  • Much better pictures
  • Includes probes (you can easily spend another $50 on those, depending on quality)
  • Includes manual (not sure if that includes service documentation, but at least you have the operating manual)
  • Describes defect (broken power switch), looks more honest and thorough
  • Is probably a personal scope, the other advertises at least six, so those might come from a school or business
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:47:01 pm by alm »

Offline switcher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 09:47:43 am »
Yes, these meters are very good.
Although the LCDs do fade after some years.
Look for one with a sharp LCD and you'll be fine.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 02:03:15 pm »
That is a c1980's meter and has most of the accuracy and precision of the 87V for basic measurement.  At $50, its a steal if you want accurate readings, and not so much portability or robustness.

They are easy to fix, as at this age the common thing to go will be the power supply [unless it already been repaired], but it can be replaced rather than repaired.  The full users, calibration and repair manual is easily available and given it has the features of a $300 DMM, is worth some effort to fix.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=160830

I've found LCDs to be fairly stable over decades; I have devices still working over 20 years old.  Its the backlights that could fade or die, or the color dyes of the filters in color LCDs that loose luster over years, if exposed to UV light.  Low power LCDs typically have a reflective layer and use ambient light, so they can last indefinitely, if the driving electronics survive.  Older design LCD are often slower responding or not as tack sharp as newer designs.

I can probably deal with the inconvenience of having to manual range. I ended up buying one for $35 shipped, probes included. As a student I'll skimp out as much as possible :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:38:42 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 02:47:44 pm »
I concur with alm's opine.

Great deals, if they work.  The Phillips is a better scope, all around, it was from their old test equipment division that later was purchased by Fluke.  If the Phillips doesn't work, then the B&K are good too, plus you have six to choose from.  If the Phillips was not stored at room temperature for its life the power caps may not survive long.

About auto ranging: IMO it's just a convenience feature, it doesn't make the meter any more versatile. Plenty of people who swear by manual ranging meters and swear at auto ranging ones ;). I wouldn't buy a manual ranging meter unless it had some other desirable feature, but I'd prefer an old Fluke (even if it doesn't have as much features) to any meter than you can get for $35 shipped new.

I'm not Dave, but I'd chose the 75MHz one. Philips is a fairly decent brand of oscilloscopes (it's not Tek, but neither is BK Precision). Documentation is usually easily available (but not for free). Philips don't use many custom parts, so that makes them fairly easy to repair.

Apart from the better brand/scope, the ad for the Philips scope looks much more appealing to me:
  • Much better pictures
  • Includes probes (you can easily spend another $50 on those, depending on quality)
  • Includes manual (not sure if that includes service documentation, but at least you have the operating manual)
  • Describes defect (broken power switch), looks more honest and thorough
  • Is probably a personal scope, the other advertises at least six, so those might come from a school or business

Hey Dave, I don't want to open up another thread to ask this. Which of these $100 oscilloscopes should I get? They're the only cheap ones in my area.

The 75MHz seems better but I can't find any information about it online, so I'm not sure it'd be easy to service (although it seems like you could buy the service manual from some sites)
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 07:42:35 pm »
Woot, I am now the proud owner of a 75MHz scope! It even says Fluke on the (reprinted) manual. Thanks for the advice guys.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:54:39 pm by allanw »

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 10:23:11 pm »
Woot  .. congrats   ;D   

Now you have to learn how to use the monster ..  :D :D

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 11:05:37 pm »

I first one has been deleted from the site.
The BK Precision one looks fine, and it's still a current model you can buy! No idea about build quality though, but I'd be surprised if you can't get the service manual for it.
It has decent looking feet on the bottom so you can stand it upright (important IMO), and a standard looking control layout. No dual timebase though, but you don't often get that on 30MHz scopes.
I wonder how old they are?

EDIT: just read the other posts that you bought the Philips. Yes, Philips scopes are nice. Good score with probes!

Dave.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:22:18 pm by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 11:19:32 pm »
About auto ranging: IMO it's just a convenience feature, it doesn't make the meter any more versatile.

By versatile I was talking about the handheld vs the bench configuration.

Dave.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 10:49:14 am »
Woot, I am now the proud owner of a 75MHz scope! It even says Fluke on the (reprinted) manual. Thanks for the advice guys.

Keep us posted with how it works.  Enjoy.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 01:47:34 pm »
Although this thread is about this Fluke, the thread starter has bought his scope and, is reporting problems.   :-[

This is what I fear happens, and others readers should take heed too.  Its not that its bad, but its expected, most of these old but venerable scopes are past their service lifetimes.

Just keep this in mind when you have to choose between an old cheap second hand top end scope and a new limited DSO scope like the nano if your initial needs are modest.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=539.msg6066;topicseen#msg6066
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 06:24:31 pm »
I took a picture of it if anyone's interested. Luckily it seems like the display problem went away for now...

alm

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 07:06:43 pm »
Looks good, although the duck tape on the power switch looks a bit ghetto ;).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:31:32 pm by alm »

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 03:28:08 am »
Drats, kinda wish I got this instead: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170485041786&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

100Mhz, and it went for $62 shipped.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 04:24:25 am »
That's the trick, there are bargains to be had, you just have to be lucky and patient.

Dave.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 11:31:23 am »
That looks like a steal if it works, the 2335 can be an involved fix.  It looks like a calibration was last done in 06, which means it was working.  

Had you been in on the bid, it could have sold for more.  Bidder a**r stuck at it, and s/he likely would be a main competitor.  a**r seems to be in the industry, knows a deal and how much it could be really worth.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=170485041786

An estate sale means it was from someone who passed away, but still there is no way to know it was single owner, bought new or second hand.   It does imply some improved risk included with the suggestion of calibration.

But a question really isn't if its still working when you get it, but how long it will continue to work after you get it.  The uncertainty you get is paid for in the performance/price ratio you receive, very high.

http://www.electronicspoint.com/tektronix-2335-oscilloscope-repair-t122289.html

http://hgroups.info/60-sci-electronics-repair/15294.aspx

If you have a mission critical need, such as a project or a design that is on a time deadline, be it professionally or in school, can you risk knowing a key tool you need could die or malfunction when you need it most or is simply not reading correctly even if it looks to be working?  For a seasoned electronics person, they'd know what to look for, but if you didn't know, it complicates things.

Now, if your project involves a 10 MHz design, you'll need a great tool.  But if you're working in DC to 100 kHz, there are a lot of low cost new DSO that work well for that purpose.

For a hobbyist without time pressure, a malfunctioning eBay item just means there is another project to do that now has priority!

Just playing devil's advocate, because I too love great 2nd hand stuff if I can find it and take the risk [ https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=496.0] but before I even bid on items I read the manual, research key parts, found suppliers, so I know I can get it running if it dies, also I made sure it had a self calibrating feature or a full self test.

Drats, kinda wish I got this instead: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170485041786&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

100Mhz, and it went for $62 shipped.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:01:38 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 08:04:38 pm »
Well I think that I belong in the club too , new owner of one European Fluke 8012A .
Got it dead for cheap ..   ;D

The manual says .... No power = replace power switch ..

Thats very encouraging as reason of damage !!   ;D 

In a week I will have it near by, and I will report my progress with it .

Still If I could had a picture of the power switch , so to see how it looks like ,
I would feel better ..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf