General > General Technical Chat

Fluke 87 V - toughness, counterfeits and bat. life questions

(1/2) > >>

lhc:
Hi all :)

I can buy Fluke 87 V for a good price (actually for a normal US price, here in Europe it costs like more than 500$, atleast in my country), some guy is selling a new sealed unit. I have some questions:

1. Are there any counterfeit Fluke 87 V multimeters? Is there any option of getting a counterfeit instead the real thing and not being able to tell the difference visually?

2. Is it true that this meter can withstand connecting lets say 230V AC to the wrong range (Ohms, diode, buzzer etc.) without any damage?

3. How long does it work on a standard alkaline 9V battery? Someone on youtube was saying that it's eating batteries rather quickly.

Thanks for the help :)

Kiriakos-GR:
Welcome in the forum  :)

I am not aware about  replicated Flukes ...

As far I know , Fluke cooperates with "Amprobe"  in some parts ... or anyway they have an relation ,
that I did not bothered to find details about it.
http://www.amprobe.eu/en_GB/products/67/Multimeter/

I also just got my 87V (5)  , from ebay  at sweet price as 212$ + 25 shipped to Greece .

Yes I am from Euroland too. 

About battery issues , you are the first worldwide , that reports such an info . 

Any device with back light , if this function gets over used , the battery life will become shorter..
And thats called as "a normal thing " to happen ..   

For Gods name its an instrument not a flash light ..  ;D

If you have any video links ,  share them with us ...

lhc:
EEVblog #10 Part 2 of 2 - Fluke 87 V Multimeter Review

Some random guy "kenryder" just asks about battery lifetime but it's related to his 87 III series meter. I was just asking from curiosity and in no way stating that 87 V eats batteries :)

Thanks for the info. I was searching and it seems that there are no counterfeits.

I'm still curious about point 2 because Dave was making this sort of test with other multimeter (german brand) and it was OK after this test. He suggests that Fluke is also able to withstand this test. It would make it indestructible if true  ;D

I'm able to buy it for about 300$ with shipping and that is still more than 200$ cheaper than in any store here.

armandas:

--- Quote from: lhc on April 09, 2010, 09:03:04 pm ---EEVblog #10 Part 2 of 2 - Fluke 87 V Multimeter Review

Some random guy "kenryder" just asks about battery lifetime but it's related to his 87 III series meter. I was just asking from curiosity and in no way stating that 87 V eats batteries :)

--- End quote ---

I think that the battery drain is related to carbon (instead of gold plated) tracks used for range switching. Read about it here: http://www.eevblog.com/2010/02/08/eevblog-60-fluke-117-multimeter-review-and-teardown/#comment-5956

As for point 2, I'm sure that any decent meter will survive such abuse. Me though, I'm not going to try it with my meters :D

Kiriakos-GR:

--- Quote from: lhc on April 09, 2010, 09:03:04 pm ---I'm able to buy it for about 300$ with shipping and that is still more than 200$ cheaper than in any store here.

--- End quote ---

Is it a secret the place to you are staying ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version