Author Topic: Fluke's Warranty Policy (rant!)  (Read 12905 times)

Offline Michael BTopic starter

Fluke's Warranty Policy (rant!)
« on: January 17, 2012, 07:27:26 pm »
I did a search on this subject, and I know it has had some discussion in the past -- but I just want to say how I feel about Fluke's warranty policy. ABSURD!
For example:
So, you are in the market for new multimeter and you want the best. You take hours, days, to do your research and decide to buy the best -- Fluke. You shop for the best price, order your meter, wait for it to arrive with anxious anticipation. Finally, your brand new, unopened, never used, Fluke meter is delivered to your house! You take it out of the box, turn it on, and something is wrong. For some reason, there is a defect in the meter. Too bad! You just bought a 3 pound, $400 paperweight, because you didn't buy your meter from an approved Fluke distributor.  >:(

Granted, the possibility of a Fluke being defective right out of the box is very remote. And I take very good care of my things so that they last a long time. However, if something does go wrong (like a GSM phone bricking my meter), Fluke's "warranty" policy is ridiculous! A company should stand behind the product they make, no matter where the consumer bought it.

Sorry. Just had to get that out.
Just because I'm a Yank, doesn't mean I'm a jerk.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke's Warranty Policy (rant!)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 07:45:33 pm »
In the UK (and I believe the EU as well) if anything is dead out of the box the retailer has to get it fixed or replaced. If the fault is inherent (ie the GSM phone) you have quite some time (years) in which they have to get it fixed.

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:02:21 pm »
The EU guidelines are that within the first 6 months the retailer has to prove the item wasn't defective, and after the first 6 months you have up to 6 years, depending on the expected life of the product, but you have to prove that it was faulty.

Offline plunger

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:24:49 pm »
Where did you buy from? I'm thinking about buying an 87V and Amazon has the best prices but not directly from them....

Offline mstevens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 08:31:22 pm »
I just purchased a couple of Flukes... before I purchase I called Fluke and spoke with a Fluke Tech Support person; and because I like having things in writing I emailed Fluke Tech Support the email response I got was: 

"Good afternoon, here is a link to our website that explains our warranty policy.

Warranty Information:
http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/service/warranties/default.htm "

I don't recall seeing anything about the product needing to be purchased from an "Authorized Dealer/Distributor." ...I would first try the vendor from which you purchased the unit for a resolution; if  you don't get one there then I would contact Fluke for Warranty Support.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:42:26 pm »
I don't recall seeing anything about the product needing to be purchased from an "Authorized Dealer/Distributor."

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/home/termsconditions.htm
This warranty extends only to the original buyer or end-user customer of a Fluke authorized reseller, ...
(emphasis added)

Other companies do this screwing of customers, too. It is to protect their authorized resellers, and keep margins up. In other words, it is a company's way of telling you that despite all the marketing blah they give a flying fart through a donut about customers.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 08:51:34 pm »
I don't recall seeing anything about the product needing to be purchased from an "Authorized Dealer/Distributor."

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/home/termsconditions.htm
This warranty extends only to the original buyer or end-user customer of a Fluke authorized reseller, ...
(emphasis added)

Other companies do this screwing of customers, too. It is to protect their authorized resellers, and keep margins up. In other words, it is a company's way of telling you that despite all the marketing blah they give a flying fart through a donut about customers.

They can write whatever they like, if it is against local law it won't fly.  In the EU you have to contact the outfit that sold it to you, if that fails for whatever reason (say the reseller is bankrupt for example) the manufacturer needs to resolve the problem. 

Offline mstevens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 08:59:08 pm »
Personally I would not have posted the origianal message until I had tried to work things out with the vender and/or Fluke.  The OP may be spinning their wheels for no reason as I am pretty sure one of the two aforementioned will give some resolution to the problem.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 09:25:09 pm »
The question is moot, since Fluke will only provide products for sale through their authorized resellers. If you buy a meter that didn't originate from Fluke directly or from an authorized reseller then it is not an official product. How do you suppose it got from a Fluke factory into your hands? Out the back door? From a shipping consignment that went astray? I really don't get the point of the complaint at all. The whole point of buying a Fluke is to get Fluke quality and Fluke after-sales service. If you are going to sacrifice all that by buying on the black market, what's the point?

Offline mstevens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 09:28:41 pm »
Along  the lines of "Authorized" reseller/distributor/dealer, when I called Fluke I specifically asks, "How does one know if the a vendor is 'Authorized'? , Can you give me a 'list' of Authorized Dealers.  They could not.

It seems to me that Fluke does a lot to protect their "reputation." It seems silly to me that if you have valid documentation of when and from where you purchase any Fluke product that they would not honor the warranty.  It is not like they are servicing a 'grey market' unit.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:33:45 pm »
It seems silly to me that if you have valid documentation of when and from where you purchase any Fluke product that they would not honor the warranty.

Does anyone actually have any evidence of this?

I'm sure I've read of second hand owners who have obtained warranty repair long after the original purchase documentation has vanished.

Why is there a thread based on pure speculation?

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 09:51:56 pm »
They can write whatever they like, if it is against local law it won't fly.  In the EU you have to contact the outfit that sold it to you, if that fails for whatever reason (say the reseller is bankrupt for example) the manufacturer needs to resolve the problem.

Good luck buying from a Chines company and then trying to convince them to take EU consumer protection laws serious.

And don't forget that commercial entities buying stuff, e.g. someone buying a meter for professional use, is not covered under consumer protection laws.

The question is moot, since Fluke will only provide products for sale through their authorized resellers.

Do you really think they only take bulk orders from authorized resellers? Especially, if they don't even seem to have a list of those authorized resellers?

How do you suppose it got from a Fluke factory into your hands? Out the back door? From a shipping consignment that went astray?

There are so many Fluke instruments on the grey market that you can't just explain the numbers of available Fluke equipment with illegal activities. Fluke shipping containers must get "lost" in large numbers to explain all the existing offers. That it turn would result in some press publications, don't you think?

Rigol does the same dog and pony show. Selling in bulk to everyone in China with a pulse (and maybe to a few without), as long as they pay, and then complain that the same instruments show up on the grey market and aren't supported.

If you are going to sacrifice all that by buying on the black market, what's the point?

It is not a black market, implying illegal activities, it is a perfectly legal gray market. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_market
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 10:02:35 pm »
Last I knew there was a warranty card in the box. You simply fill that in and you should be covered, right?

Dave.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 10:05:21 pm »
It is not a black market, implying illegal activities, it is a perfectly legal gray market. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_market

I know. I was mainly reacting to the tone of the opening post by exaggerating a bit.

But seriously, has anyone failed to obtain warranty support from Fluke for a genuine product purchased in good faith?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 02:36:11 am »
I'm thinking about buying an 87V and Amazon has the best prices but not directly from them....
Shame it's not directly from Amazon, as Fluke will honor the warranty (called and verified this not that long ago). But you'd have to check out vendors that sell through Amazon's site.

Amazon does carry at least one Fluke model themselves though (287), but it's more expensive. Particularly for additional bells and whistles you may hardly ever use or already have with a DMM already in your possesion (nice to have them on one meter though IMO).

Last I knew there was a warranty card in the box. You simply fill that in and you should be covered, right?

Dave.
Unfortunately, here in the US Fluke won't honor the warranty if it wasn't purchased from an authorized retailer.

But I've heard stories that some unauthorized dealer sold units were honored for warranty repairs, and some that weren't. Not sure why the discrepancy, but I took it as "buyer beware".

Turns out, Agilent doesn't do this (phoned them up as well). They'll honor the warranty no matter the retailer (S/N must be unregistered, so I took this as nontransferable between users).

Combined with a Cash Back offer, I ended up with the U1252B as a result.

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 03:18:46 am »
Shame it's not directly from Amazon, as Fluke will honor the warranty (called and verified this not that long ago).

Surprisingly, Amazon isn't listed as an authorized seller on Fluke's website.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 03:53:07 am »
I was surpised as well, and why I made the phone call (didn't want to be stuck with repair costs, or worse, an expensive brick if it died during the warranty period).

On a side note, I don't like how they word it as a Lifetime warranty, when really isn't (product lifespan of 7 - 10 years, which I'm still a bit confused). For example, is it based on parts supply after the 7 year mark, and will be honored up to 10 if the parts are available?

Offline mstevens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 03:55:24 am »
I can confirm that I was told on the phone by Fluke rep that if I purchased from Amazon that the Waranty would be honored.

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 04:13:22 am »
I can confirm that I was told on the phone by Fluke rep that if I purchased from Amazon that the Waranty would be honored.

That's reassuring to know. Either way, it's been my experience that Amazon's return policy is impeccable.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 04:23:13 am »
Either way, it's been my experience that Amazon's return policy is impeccable.
They are usually pretty good with it, but that doesn't last the entire warranty period though, does it (seem to recall 30 days on electronics)?

Though possible, I wouldn't expect a Fluke to be DOA out of the box. But if something happens after Amazon's return policy period, but within the warranty, Fluke's warranty conditions would be more important IMO.

Offline plunger

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 04:34:41 am »
Amazon does carry at least one Fluke model themselves though (287), but it's more expensive. Particularly for additional bells and whistles you may hardly ever use or already have with a DMM already in your possesion (nice to have them on one meter though IMO).

They carry a lot more than that. They will list the lowest price on the main page and you have to navigate to the right side for Amazon. They would rather you buy from one of the vendors so all they would do is collect the money and not have to do any other work. Just like ebay.

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 04:44:55 am »
They are usually pretty good with it, but that doesn't last the entire warranty period though, does it (seem to recall 30 days on electronics)?

Though possible, I wouldn't expect a Fluke to be DOA out of the box. But if something happens after Amazon's return policy period, but within the warranty, Fluke's warranty conditions would be more important IMO.

Agreed.

In light that the original poster's warranty is void, has he considered popping the meter open for further inspection?

Offline ron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 05:04:44 am »
OP didn't say he had received a bad meter.  This is just a speculative rant as far as I can tell.

Offline plunger

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 05:24:30 am »
OP didn't say he had received a bad meter.  This is just a speculative rant as far as I can tell.

True, he didn't actually say he bought one  ;D

Offline Michael BTopic starter

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 06:06:20 pm »
Yes, I did purchase a meter (87V/E2) and I have no problems with it. In fact, I like it a lot! My original post was just a rant (as indicated) based upon Fluke's own policy as stated on their own web site. FLUKE said it. It is their policy, not my interpretation of their policy. I just read it and ranted about it. If that is not their true warranty policy, then they should not say that it is.

Having stirred up the pot a bit, I did register my new meter online and sent in the registration card by mail as well.

Just because I'm a Yank, doesn't mean I'm a jerk.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf