Author Topic: Fly away damn mosquito ...  (Read 16810 times)

Offline Kiriakos-GRTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
Fly away damn mosquito ...
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:16:33 am »
Every night I have my mosquito  pall , to visiting  me and fly over my head.

I had politely ask to stop doing it , but he does not  ;D

The high voltage grid with the Ultra Violet light , does not attract him.

Still I have not try those  buzzing with high frequency devices, to see if they even work.

The old fashion cure as an cup with vinegar in the room , it kills me first ..  ;D

Do you have any tested solution to demonstrate or suggest ? 

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
Re: Fly away damn mosquito ...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:25:48 am »
Look for a mosquito-boyfriend for her. She will let you alone.

;)

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
Mark Higgins

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:18:23 pm »
Same problem here.

I use a fan next to my bed to make them go away.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:47:54 pm »
Try LED light, some folks are attempting to patent this.  

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.2987/08-5815.1?journalCode=moco

as you read, its not a homogenous response to all types of light, but its better than no light.  Since LED are cheap, you can make one of each and catch them by species.

To kill them, you can either make a kV low amp grid killer, I saw some fly swatters like this, or just use sticky tape traps until you know it worth putting more time into making the kV killer.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:52:25 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:53:05 pm »
Same problem here.

I use a fan next to my bed to make them go away.

Well I usually  do that too , but its still April  and the temperature are still low . 

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »
A hungry mosquito is sensing two things at long range to find a meal: CO2 and a particular sort of alcohol (known as mushroom alcohol) that's commonly breathed out and sweated out by mammals. In my opinion the alcohol part is what makes some people 'bug magnets', but that's just a guess.You can bait them to your bug zapper with some dry ice, a candle, or pretty much anything that makes more CO2 than you do. The mushroom alcohol is harder to get a hold of, it's sometimes used in perfume.

A friend and I once cleared out his backyard, which is right next to a slow moving creek and a stand of woods, using dry ice and a bug zapper. About three hours before a party we set up our mosquito death machine and left it to run. In two hours we had something like a pound of mosquito carcasses in the dry ice bucket! The forest had plenty more for us, but I think it helped a bit. You can start some great drinking conversations about what to do with a pound of dead mosquitoes.

Keep in mind that smoking produces a lot of CO2, so if you're a smoker like me they just love you.

Hope that helps :)

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 05:49:59 pm »
Once, I had see on TV, one documentary about mosquito & CO2 + large scale traps  (out door use)

Just ordered the special electronic fly swatter and some sticky tape traps.

Quiting smoking its not an option.
I have quit of everything else the last years.

I do not wish to die healthy ..  ;D

Offline lhc

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 07:34:50 pm »
I just use vaporizer with insecticide. Kills them all.

http://www.brosdistributoruk.com/mosquitos/mosquito-plug-in-vaporizer-liquid-refill.html

Works 100%. No problems with mosquitos and other insects.

You can buy one from Bros or Raid. Just plug it and it will kill them all. Leave it for the whole night with a window open a bit.

It works great I really love it, there is nothing better! Just be careful around fishes and cats - they can get sick from the insecticide.

Problem solved  ;D

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:42:49 pm »
I think the idea is if we can devise an electronic version, it could be less potential harmful to animals and man. 

DEET works completely, I've used in in forests against all bugs, but it is DEET. 

There are also vaporized chemicals such as this, and others, and all work well, most of the time.

If this LED version indeed works, batteries can be solar powered during the day, or even hand cranked, or plugged in, depending on how primitive the conditions you anticipate.  The bug zapper tennis racket draws very little no current in standby and works off 2 AA batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-Amazing-Bug-Zapper/dp/B00008GS96/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1272487161&sr=8-3

I just use vaporizer with insecticide. Kills them all.

http://www.brosdistributoruk.com/mosquitos/mosquito-plug-in-vaporizer-liquid-refill.html

Works 100%. No problems with mosquitos and other insects.

You can buy one from Bros or Raid. Just plug it and it will kill them all. Leave it for the whole night with a window open a bit.

It works great I really love it, there is nothing better! Just be careful around fishes and cats - they can get sick from the insecticide.

Problem solved  ;D
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 10:22:27 pm »
Well I do own this device , and I can replace as test, the inner UV tube ,
with one PCB long enough , with  deferent colors of LED's .

I am thinking to  actually try it out , because I can hardly find , replacement tubes ,
worthy as the original one , that came with it.

I will do something powered with batteries (rechargeable ) , and if it works,
I will do something permanent.

The color choice of LED's  , from the above document , looks to be White - Green - Blue.

The high voltage grid , works fine .  ;)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:05:38 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 07:08:07 pm »
My new weapon are here since yesterday ...  I was extensively tested it .. and it worths every Euro Cent. ( 6 EUR shipped )  ;D

I had only to replace any screw on it with longer ones , and to make more permanent the secondary clip in the battery case , because it was flimsy ..  I had to use dual side tape, so to stay in place.
Thats what I enjoy with the Chinese makers , they always left some details to be cured by the customer. :P

Other than that it just works , it produces  lots of high voltage , with just two AA ..

Thumps up , I like it ...   ;D

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:11:42 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 07:41:42 pm »
Wow do I have a video for you . . .

It's worth the whole 15min or so, but the best bits are near the end.

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 07:57:54 pm »
This zaper its more fun ,  you can listen the sound of the spark  , see an small firework 3KV  ;D , and you know that you have done with it .   :D

I have all ready wipe out anything with wings , in my office , and last night I had finally a peaceful sleep.  ;)

I really like to thanks  @saturation for the great idea , of suggesting it  .

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/jtcorp/m.html?_nkw=New+Electronic+Mosquito&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:13:56 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 12:08:26 am »
You are welcome my friend.  I used this first in Newfoundland, against flies and my, some explode when you see the sparks!  I don't own one now as we have few bugs, but if you ever build the LED light and attract mosquitoes well to it, please let us know.

Zapper, another example of life made better by electronics  ;D

This zaper its more fun ,  you can listen the sound of the spark  , see an small firework 3KV  ;D , and you know that you have done with it .   :D

I have all ready wipe out anything with wings , in my office , and last night I had finally a peaceful sleep.  ;)

I really like to thanks  @saturation for the great idea , of suggesting it  .

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/jtcorp/m.html?_nkw=New+Electronic+Mosquito&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline XynxNet

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 10:47:34 am »
Well the zapper sounds like fun, but if you really have a mosquito problem the best thing is a fine mesh or if you like poisoning yourself and everyone else ;) massive use of chemical agents.

I don't know if anyone of you guys has ever been to sweden, but there are some swamp areas where you are literarly attacked by ten to hundred thousands of mosquitos. I expect the zapper to fall rather short under these circumstances. ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:04:24 am by XynxNet »

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 12:27:14 pm »
Talking about climate, all Greece are famous for the stable and well balanced climate.

We get only one small influence from time to time, from weather phenomenons coming from Africa.
For example some times we have red dust coming from Africa,  that lands  on our fresh washed cars ,
mixed with rain.   :)

So I have no major complains , good weather and low population of insects ..

The temperature just got up since last week, from 21 to 27-32 Celsius ,
and this is the sign  that the Greek summer had just started..    ;)

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 01:48:05 am »
Damn in just a week , my weapon got damaged internally ..  very poor spark .. open it up ...
and found an damn simple circuitry ,  one transistor named as  SD965 74R ( found that called as Transistor Strobo Flash ) , few diodes measuring 1500Ohm, and few high voltage capacitors , and the one in parallel with the output its rated at 2KW .

The circuitry looks to work , it produces right now no more than 100V , and the little transistor heats up fast , at any activation of the little button.

Measured the capacitors looks ok , other than one named as 221K 4KV ,
that measures like 50pf ..(Fluke 87)

I am ready to explode ... because I have not find the true problem.

Any ideas ?  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:36:27 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 05:39:04 am »
have u checked the secondary coil's voltage in transformer?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 12:24:05 pm »
No I did not , because I do not know what I should expect to find , and also I expect that the transformer would have the lowest  "failing parts rate" !!  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:27:35 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 02:41:08 pm »
No I did not , because I do not know what I should expect to find , and also I expect that the transformer would have the lowest  failing parts rate !!  

i used to open dead (elcheapo) AC-DC adapters, 99.99% of them, the transformers are burnt out (the transformer you showed? its look very familiar to me ???). but i saw your previous post indicating the circuit is still having 100V, so i think the transformer is still working, what i'm afraid of, is the wire laminate that separates each winding is burnt out shorting each other, hence producing lowered output voltage, and its inside the transformer, there is no way to check that unless you un-wind the coil. if you have checked/replaced the other components to their satisfactory specs, then i think its the transformer.

btw: i believe, the yellow wires is from the main (battery?), but where are white and blue wires going to?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:45:43 pm by shafri »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 03:04:47 pm »
The blue and white goes to the metallic net ..  ( open circuit )

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 04:13:12 pm »
then i think, 100V is way too low to make a "zap!" on any insect passing by. i think it should be in kV range? i dont know, i never own one.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 04:58:38 pm »
When I used to live in Italy I had the same problem, I had mild success with waiting for the damn thing to approach my ear as they always do and then estimate the point at which it was over my cheek and slap myself killing the little pest, it occasionally worked

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 05:52:06 pm »
Well instead of keep slapping my self , I prefer to find one alternative solution..  ;D

Found one PDF , possibly the transistor it self ..
http://doc.chipfind.ru/pdf/panasonic/2sd965.pdf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf