Author Topic: Flying cars - coming/flying to a market near you  (Read 6547 times)

Offline daqqTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Flying cars - coming/flying to a market near you
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:39:04 am »
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Flying cars - coming/flying to a market near you
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:33:41 am »
Very nice.  Have to admit when I saw the first picture of it I thought it looked like it was not exactly flight worthy, looked a bit short coupled, the prop looked a bit small for the aircraft size, looked all a bit rendered, but the in-flight video looks real enough.

That said, I'd rather a PAL-V.

http://youtu.be/LejOps-gHRU?t=1m

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 04:49:38 pm »
I don't want to sound overly cynical, but this is probably the least compelling vehicle I've seen these years... :)

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 03:34:52 am »
All I can say is, about freakin time.

I grew up watching The Jetsons cartoon.  Ever since then, I've been waiting for the moment when we can all be flying around in our own little cars.

Good luck flying those in America.  The US FFA is even talking about making the drones illegal (little helicopter RC's)

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 03:58:13 am »
That's gotta be in the next bond movie.

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 04:40:42 am »
I was waiting for the nose to hit the ground during landing

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 05:04:06 am »
They had flying cars in 1947,then in 1957,then in 1977-------They were always just a few years away from
mass marketing.
I won't hold my breath!

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 07:41:56 am »
They had flying cars in 1947,then in 1957,then in 1977-------They were always just a few years away from
mass marketing.
I won't hold my breath!

To be fair, development in the light-sport and recreational aircraft areas really took off in the last decade, after a long period of virtual stagnation in general aviation.

We are very close now to a useful roadable aircraft (see, Terrafugia, PAL-V, this latest one, and a few others).

But that's the key really, roadable aircraft, not flyable car.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 08:30:50 am »
The impracticality of it makes it a non-starter.
Just like any car that will do over 120kmh (Autobahns excepted in some countries) is pointless for practical purposes, and so is this.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 02:09:25 pm »
Just like any car that will do over 120kmh (Autobahns excepted in some countries) is pointless for practical purposes, and so is this.
Depends where you live. In most of the EU you won't get along with the traffic if your car can do just 120 or 130 km/h..
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 02:15:43 pm »
dare we even mention the moller skycar?  :-DD

either way, flying cars... not for many many decades, sure we can make something that works technically but it will be legal issues that will prevent it from happening

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 02:45:33 pm »

agree - it's impractical as a car ! but that's not a car - that's supposed to be a road legal ultralight plane. and that's a very useful thing ;)

imagine a situation: you are a pilot of a ultralight plane (in EU up to 470kg take-off weight can be ultralight) and you want to go from "A"  to "B" using your plane. so you drive your car to the airfield where you hangar your plane - park the car, prepare your plane and take offf - after some time you land at the airfield closest to "B" and you need to take a taxi/cab to get yourself to "B"

with a road legal plane it's very easy: - drive yourself to the airfield, take off, land near"B", drive yourself to "B".

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 04:17:08 pm »
with a road legal plane it's very easy: - drive yourself to the airfield, take off, land near"B", drive yourself to "B".
Could really be fun. There are small airfields every like 30-50Km across europe. I mean people are going on bicycle trips for weeks, others go through the Atlantic with a canoe, yet others fly to distant places in a blue police box. I dont see how would this be worse. I mean it is not practical or anything, but sure it is fun.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 04:39:47 pm »
Could really be fun. There are small airfields every like 30-50Km across europe. I mean people are going on bicycle trips for weeks, others go through the Atlantic with a canoe, yet others fly to distant places in a blue police box. I dont see how would this be worse. I mean it is not practical or anything, but sure it is fun.

in Europe it's for fun and in 3rd world countries a way of transportation ;)

just consider the popular ultralight planes - max take off wight 472kg - with most of them you can fly alone + some very limited cargo (10-15kg max), or you must be slim and you can take another slim person with you ;) so ultralights are definitely flying for fun ;) (slim person wights upto 85kg ;) )

the license for ultralight is something like 3k Eur (compared to 7k+ Eur for a PPL) so it's being quite popular nowadays - especially because of the leap in technology.... you can have a very sophisticated avionics in a ultralight airplane nowadays, even autopilot. in fact today's modern ultralights (like Dynamic WT9)  are many times better equipped than the older popular small airplanes (like the cessna 152). 

ultralights are becoming more affordable and more popular in europe, so i can imagine that the road legal plane will have some future ;)
it won't change the world for sure, but probably they'll sell few hundreds of those ;)

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 07:37:25 pm »
I was waiting for the nose to hit the ground during landing

That was exactly what I was thinking. 

n45048

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 07:57:34 am »
As long as the gearbox isn't manufactured by Volkswagen! I have been very disappointed in them recently. Not just with one vehicle, but three. I've had an entire transmission changed in a new Amarok (under warranty) plus issues with two Golf's (none of them are DSG auto's).

Next car will be a Volvo!

Emergency services? Speeds of 120-160 aren't uncommon (fire brigade excepted).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:05:27 am by Halon »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 08:00:26 am »
Yes, the newer ones have been cost cutted too far. It is costing them in reliability and in in-warranty claims for vehicles.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 08:32:08 am »
Yes, the newer ones have been cost cutted too far. It is costing them in reliability and in in-warranty claims for vehicles.
and mainly everything breaks down just outside of warranty ;) VW passat 2010 2 litre CR diesel... after 65k km - turbo charger actuator, 70k km - front axle bearing on both sides (2 months apart), 113k km - high pressure injection pump (that shite is from Bosh) the pump took all the injectors with it (the pump flooded the injection rail with aluminium filings)

so yes, new cars are piece of shit and there is no added value in VW anymore - so you pay for the VW logo not the quality as it was before (had a B5 passat before). my next car will be a Dacia - half the price of comparable VW.

but back to the road legal plane - that one is a ultralight so definitely doesn't have a gearbox from VW - the guy who designed it had to use lightweight components ;)

Offline Timmay

• Contributor
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 08:51:03 am »
Not to sound like the Debbie Downer but unless these are automated its really a pipe dream IN MY OPINION. A crash on the ground level is one thing, X amount of feet in the air is another. Now I know they will take that into consideration (I hope) but, I am trying to bounce this idea in my head and still just don't see it, at least in the short term.
Before you take my advice, know that I have 12 years experience as an aviation electrician and am currently a junior perusing a degree in EE. Barely wet behind the ears. I respect everyone's opinion, could be wrong and love to learn. Please don't hesitate to correct me. ;p

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 09:00:49 am »
My VW golf is coming due for it's 215000km service soon. Only things that died are water pump ( so common) twice, one front bearing, rear bearings, fan heater resistor ( I used a later model one and modified it to fit, otherwise $100 from agents), head gasket ( also common, but I got it quick so did not have a head break into 3 pieces) and the AC is also in need of a new compressor and a new drier ( Waiting for enough money to buy the parts to do it), but so far it is working out a lot cheaper to run than new car payments. It will soon be a teenager.

As to flying cars you will never have them as a vehicle for the masses, it just will not work, as you cannot control them accurately enough with any current ATC, or you will have a rain of falling cars in every city every day. Now, if you get automated vehicles to the point where you can get in and go from any place to any place without intervention, you can have a similar system for flying cars. It however will be limited in both places and in conditions, like current flights, so you would be better off with automated roads and cars to go on them connecting places, and have airlines like current systems for the long haul. You cannot have a SUV like aircraft that is both a good aircraft, and a good road vehicle. You compromise greatly on all sides.

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 05:20:18 am »

Looks cool, but like the Terrafugia, this suffers from the problem of being a crappy car and a crappy airplane. It's really hard to make something that is good at both. For example, those tires are just dead weight and volume in the air. Similarly, a fuselage fuel tank makes a waste of the space in the wings.

I'll take fixed gear 182 and a beater "airport car" any day.

Looks fun! I just hope that the quality of drivers improves as fast as the technology:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/29/silicon-valley-can-keep-its-teslas-and-robotic-cars-slovakias-aeromobil-just-unveiled-a-flying-car/

n45048

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 05:25:05 am »
My VW golf is coming due for it's 215000km service soon.

Your Golf is from when VW were good! Most cars just aren't built to last anymore. I have an old 1989 Mercedes Benz which is almost at 800,000KM and still runs great, it's my daily run about. Somehow I don't think my VW will last anywhere near that. Then you have brands such as Subaru, Hyundai, Holden, Ford, which will be lucky to hit the 100,000KM mark without imploding these days.

The only manufacturers I have any faith in these days (and are affordable) are Mercedes, Volvo, Audi and any Toyota Landcruiser troop carrier or Hilux.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:28:04 am by Halon »

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 11:49:56 pm »
This is what this reminds me of...
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/dugong/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf