Author Topic: For those of us with 8K desktop setup, NASA has released first 8K video in space  (Read 2706 times)

Online BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:01:54 am by BrianHG »

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
What! 4K not good enough anymore??? Let me go trash my LG 4K TV.... maybe someone else may pick it up from the dump.  :-DD
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

• Super Contributor
if you play the 8k down sampled by your PC's video card to 4k, through your PC display-port uncompressed RGB output, you will at least get 4K color resolution, IE a new chrominance (my made up word) per pixel at 4k res instead of the color being 1/4 resolution which is the standard video compression technique.

I do get a noticeably better image when playing a 4k video on my 1080p video projector with a 100 inch image.  The color fits the contours of the image twice as sharp without that bloody blocky staircase 1/4 res effect (it's softened as it is downsampled, but, it is there) in the deep red and deep blue lines.

The 1080p projector is a DPL fed by a PC in RGB pixel accurate mode.

Warning: 12K is coming......
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:44:56 am by BrianHG »

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
only 24 FPS  :--

The following users thanked this post: rs20, Dubbie, Ampera

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
I just got my first 4K monitor not long ago, now 8K?!

Speaking of those HDR monitors, the most common HDR mode used now is 10-bit for each RGB channels. If your monitor, your graphics card and the video playback software supports it, it will take the four pixels (8K to 4K) or 16 pixels (8K to 1080p) and interpolate a 10-bit value for HDR mode.

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor

This x100. This obsession with pushing resolution way beyond what 20-20 vision can percieve while keeping the motion so jerky that even someone half-blind can tell that something's wrong. It's basically the megapixel myth all over again.

The following users thanked this post: Dubbie

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter

This x100. This obsession with pushing resolution way beyond what 20-20 vision can percieve while keeping the motion so jerky that even someone half-blind can tell that something's wrong. It's basically the megapixel myth all over again.

People like you and me are a tiny despised minority.

Just about everyone I talk to about high frame rate content keep going on about how it is not artistic and looks like a soap opera.

No. 24/25fps looks like garbage. A juddery strobing mess. I wish everything was shot at 100fps. (don't ask me to do the post production on it though!)

The following users thanked this post: rs20

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
At least the americans get to know that their tax money is put to good use.
 :popcorn:

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter

I'd choose 8K spaceship footage over dropping bombs on people anyday!

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor

I'd choose 8K spaceship footage over dropping bombs on people anyday!

So do I, but unfortunately those are not mutually exclusive. ;D

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor

People like you and me are a tiny despised minority.

Just about everyone I talk to about high frame rate content keep going on about how it is not artistic and looks like a soap opera.

No. 24/25fps looks like garbage. A juddery strobing mess. I wish everything was shot at 100fps. (don't ask me to do the post production on it though!)

Sadly, the holdover from film days when resolution and frame rate were limited is carried over today even as we have vastly higher resolution and frame rates.  The next person to utter the term "Cinematic" is getting punched in the face!

Brian

The following users thanked this post: rs20, Dubbie

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
if you play the 8k down sampled by your PC's video card to 4k, through your PC display-port uncompressed RGB output, you will at least get 4K color resolution, IE a new chrominance (my made up word) per pixel at 4k res instead of the color being 1/4 resolution which is the standard video compression technique.
Isn't it also that some (cheaper) camera sensors have a 1/4 "color resolution"?
Sadly, the holdover from film days when resolution and frame rate were limited is carried over today even as we have vastly higher resolution and frame rates.  The next person to utter the term "Cinematic" is getting punched in the face!
In the PC gaming community, there's a recurring claim from "console peasants" that 30FPS is good enough.

I would say that fractional frame rates and interlacing are relics of the past that should have been abandoned long ago.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Super Contributor
Isn't it also that some (cheaper) camera sensors have a 1/4 "color resolution"?

Nope, sadly, this is still in the x264 and x265 standards and many single CCD/CMOS cameras still use the BAYER staggered RGB pixels where the color is still at a lower resolution than the luminance.  In fact, to get higher refresh rates above 24hz at 8K using a single display port link, the color is once transmitted in YUV instead of RGB, and the UV color channels are compressed.  This also goes for 4K displays at above 90Hz or above 120Hz depending of the display port revision.

Yes, I would like to see 8K at 60hz, but, Youtube doesn't really want to support the required bandwidth and many consumer PCs are just too slow to realtime video decompress that x265 data.  Decompressing 8K 60hz is identical to decompressing 4k video at 240hz.  My laptop has a hard time doing x265 4k at 30Hz, let alone 240Hz.  My top desktop will easily do 4K at 60hz, but 240hz is still a big leap.

Remember, each single 8K frame is 132 megabytes uncompressed.  In x265, I can send you an entire 30 minute TV show at 1080p with 132 megabytes.  I can send you an entire x265 1080p movie, with surround sound, with just a few 8k video frames.

To decode 8k at 60fps, I need to render 80 gigabits of data a second.

ADDITIONAL note: A deep color 4:4:4 color mode does exist for x264 and x265, however, it is not guaranteed that the decoder side has the memory, speed, or capability of decodeding these extended video modes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:52:14 am by BrianHG »

• Super Contributor
As for resolution naysayers, blow up this nasa video to life size with an 8k video projector, or, an 120inch 8k tv, stand only a few feet in front of it, and yes, it does blow away 1080p or 4k.

• Super Contributor
Ok, here is 8K 60fps:

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
As for resolution naysayers, blow up this nasa video to life size with an 8k video projector, or, an 120inch 8k tv, stand only a few feet in front of it, and yes, it does blow away 1080p or 4k.

Hey, I'm all in favour of high resolution. Even ultra-extreme-high resolution. But giving me ultra-extreme-high resolution at the expense of frame rate is the stupid modern trend I'm against.

The jump from 2160p30 to 4320p30 is vastly more expensive and vastly more pointless than the jump from 2160p30 to 2160p60, or for 95% of people's device, even the jump from 2160p30 to 1080p60 which gives such an obvious improvement to most kinds of footage.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:23:32 am by rs20 »

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
8k is at the tip of the early adoption curve. Give it seven to ten years and people will be tossing 4K televisions out on the curb like you see with 1080p today. New graphics chipsets built on 7nm process silicon will capture and playback good frame rate 8k video with good power consumption characteristics.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 04:48:46 pm by Wan Huang Luo »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
I do not see ANYONE tossing flat screen TVs of ANY resolution in my neighbourhood, unless it is broken.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
I'm in the camp that more bits should go to higher frame rate and less compression rather than more pixels.

The following users thanked this post: rs20

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
I do not see ANYONE tossing flat screen TVs of ANY resolution in my neighbourhood, unless it is broken.
who said that it’s gotta be functional?  :-DD

In this case BER or beyond economical repair would have to pass a very low standard. How many 4K TVs in production now do you expect to be fully functional in ten years?

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
In this case BER or beyond economical repair would have to pass a very low standard. How many 4K TVs in production now do you expect to be fully functional in ten years?
Most of them, unless you're referring to the "smart" stuff no longer being supported. I don't see why a 4K TV would break down any more often than any other LED backlit LCD TV.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
Most of them, unless you're referring to the "smart" stuff no longer being supported. I don't see why a 4K TV would break down any more often than any other LED backlit LCD TV.
not limited to 4K. Most screens sold today are 4K simply because the 1080 stuff is being phased out. The downfall is the use of one hung low caps that people won’t bother to replace.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf