Author Topic: For those of you having a bad day... Watch this:  (Read 4907 times)

Online BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
For those of you having a bad day... Watch this:
« on: November 22, 2018, 11:10:22 am »
Just had a cascade failure of all the power mosfets or all the ICs blowing up in your design, well, I sure it's not this bad:
Enjoy...

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 11:12:06 am by BrianHG »

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Re: For those of you having a bad day... Watch this:
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 04:56:42 pm »
On one hand, wow, that's nasty. On the other hand, to fail that hard, they had to be using the shelves at the very top of their limits. Or?
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 05:07:25 pm »
There is always a safety margin over the max loading. Here we see that just a slight nudge was enough and that they must have loaded the shelves way over max and used up most, or all, of the safety margin. That, or the shelves were assembled incorrectly.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 07:08:45 pm »
There are lots of these videos on internet.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 07:20:29 pm »
Now you know why they suggest the forklift bollards in warehousing. Portnet solution is to core into the floor at each pillar on each side a 110mm hole through to the ground underneath and place in there a 2m length of old rail, and fill the hole with a high strength cement mix, and across the top weld another piece of rail. It does help a little.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 09:13:36 pm »
Now that is what I call domino effect on steroids! All kidding aside, hope nobody was hurt although the driver of the forklift probably didn't have much protection from the forklift enclosure. Seems like under-engineering or over-loading.... One way or the other, that place was an accident waiting to happen.

I just think what could happen in a store like a CostCo or HomeDepot or other "warehouse" style stores that have high shelving if something like this happened. You would have mass casualties, yet you don't hear about this happening too often in retailers, maybe because they are either more careful or have more oversight.
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 08:01:19 pm »
I see what looks like bricks in there.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 08:04:40 pm »
no one takes shelving seriously for some reason

oh you put this object on there, what could go wrong, why should I pay more? >:D

Offline LeoTech

• Regular Contributor
  • High School student with a passion for electronics
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 08:11:07 pm »
The big question is:

If we assume that the forklift operator survived the incident, which i certainly hope he did, would he have to pay for the accident?

Considering that it most likely wasn't his fault, but due to an overloading of the shelves. Is there insurance for such things?

I am actually quite curious about this,

Leo
High School student with a passion and interest in electronics, both analog and digital!

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 08:13:30 pm »
no one takes shelving seriously for some reason

oh you put this object on there, what could go wrong, why should I pay more? >:D

Also with certain Indian buildings as of late.

It's a bit like the 2013 Savar building collapse in India but on a small scale with boxes and a few bricks.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 08:32:23 pm »
The big question is:

If we assume that the forklift operator survived the incident, which i certainly hope he did, would he have to pay for the accident?

Considering that it most likely wasn't his fault, but due to an overloading of the shelves. Is there insurance for such things?

I am actually quite curious about this,

Leo
Most civilised countries don't allow employers to recoup work related damages at the expense of employees in the case of an accident. The employer generally is responsible for any damage caused by his company or employees, including damage to assets of the company itself. Smaller items like laptops or phones may be excepted, but laws tend to be slanted in favour of the employee. It wouldn't be exactly fair to have your employees use very expensive equipment or supplies and expect them to cover something obviously beyond their means. It's up to the employer to make sure things are appropriately insured. There may be exceptions, though.

If the shelves are overloaded, the insurer may object and not pay out. In that case, the employer is stuck with the bill.

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 09:05:37 pm »
If it was an Amazon warehouse they would liquidate all the trashed items and then this guy would show up and buy all the boxes filled with junk to resell it on ebay :-DD

I really don't know why he showed up in my YT recommendations but somehow I kind of like him. Quite relaxing to watch him doing the unboxing of all that shit  :popcorn:

Is this an US thing or does Amazon sell these "boxes" in Europe too?
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 09:34:16 pm »
For those of you having a bad day... Watch this:

If you have a bad day, maybe music will help you too. It works for me.
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 04:38:26 am »
... that the forklift operator survived the incident, which i certainly hope he did ...

If you've had a look at a forklift, you will have noticed there is quite a reasonable protective structure above the operator which is an integral part of the machine.  It is required that this overhead guard is inspected (as well as several other things) before an operator uses a forklift.

In the case of this collapse, the materials that fell onto the forklift did so in what I would call a "progressive" manner.  They all didn't hit at exactly the same moment, but over a period.  Even if it's half a second, this makes a huge difference which reduces the maximum impact force (impulse) to a level that the forklift's guard has a very good chance of withstanding.  This is just as important as the total weight that ended up resting on it.  After all, that's what the overhead guard is designed to do.

When I first saw that clip, I wasn't really worried about the operator getting killed - as long as they stayed inside the forklift.  I expect there would be some bruises and maybe a broken bone or two.  The embarrassment, however, is quite something else.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 11:38:42 am »
embarrassment of continuing working in a place that did such a good job analyzing safety vs cost? being part of a dominos set?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 11:58:43 am »
No.

Rule number one when reversing in a forklift:  Watch where you're going.  If the operator had been watching properly, they wouldn't have hit the racking.

Remember that counterweight forklifts start at around 4,000kg - so there is a bit of energy even in a slow moving one.

Also, the contact to the racking was a sideways motion compared to the normal approach where a forklift is placing or retrieving a load.  A touch in that orientation might result in a slight sway movement - but this was one where a supporting beam was kinked, causing it to lose all vertical strength.  With things tied together (for group strength and stability) having a few more sections fail is not a surprise.  Seeing the whole right hand side of racking three aisles over collapse - well, that was surprising.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 12:14:13 pm »
Obligatory:

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, 001, newbrain, BrianHG

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 12:46:04 pm »
That was hilarious.  The points made were spot on and the dangers are real - with an absolutely over the top outcome.  There are a lot of other scenarios that weren't touched on, so don't think that if you've got a handle on everything in this video that you would be good to go.

In that last disaster, travelling with the forks raised is a no-no.  You aren't likely to impale someone like that, but doing some real damage is definitely on the cards.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 12:53:07 pm »
No.

Rule number one when reversing in a forklift:  Watch where you're going.  If the operator had been watching properly, they wouldn't have hit the racking.

Remember that counterweight forklifts start at around 4,000kg - so there is a bit of energy even in a slow moving one.

Also, the contact to the racking was a sideways motion compared to the normal approach where a forklift is placing or retrieving a load.  A touch in that orientation might result in a slight sway movement - but this was one where a supporting beam was kinked, causing it to lose all vertical strength.  With things tied together (for group strength and stability) having a few more sections fail is not a surprise.  Seeing the whole right hand side of racking three aisles over collapse - well, that was surprising.

they are tightly spaced shelves, stacked too heavy and not secured properly. The employer fucked up. Maybe if they paid the guy 35 an hour hazard pay he might feel a bit embarrassed. This is a joke. That should not happen from a low velocity impact at a shallow angle. If he sped it up from across the room and crashed into it face first it would be different. This is a nudge.

Also like seanB said there should be posts. Someone is mental about density and cost in that place.

You can't be serious if you think a entire facility should fail from a low velocity crash at like a 5 degree angle? Can you even call it a crash? A scrape maybe?

You can also put company SOP in place that does not allow you to move around a obstruction and require someone to spot you when your backing up but that construction is shoddy as fuck.

I guarantee you they used the thinnest steel that would stand up strait when they were building those shelves, put them together with pop rivets and elmers glue.

What should have happened is a employee being chewed out over a scratched up forklift and a dented shelf.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:11:30 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 01:55:17 pm »
Don't know the exact stats for back up cameras on cars but they were recently required on new cars in the US and have been very successful at dramatically reducing the number of back up accidents. Maybe it would be a good idea to require them on forklifts as well?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 10:27:21 am »
Ha, now the MSM are getting their content from 9gag?  https://9gag.com/gag/amBz1do

Accident videos - so many, mostly feeling so guilty for laughing.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 10:51:09 am »
If it was an Amazon warehouse they would liquidate all the trashed items and then this guy would show up and buy all the boxes filled with junk to resell it on ebay :-DD
I really don't know why he showed up in my YT recommendations but somehow I kind of like him. Quite relaxing to watch him doing the unboxing of all that shit  :popcorn:
Is this an US thing or does Amazon sell these "boxes" in Europe too?

I don't know if they sell them, but stock that is abandoned is supposed to destroyed.
My HVP70 probes in Amazon UK were going to be scrapped unless I arranged their return. But you can't return outside the country, so I had them all shipped to Simon's Electronics just in time who now has them on his store  :phew:
But yeah, they would ave scrapped thousands in brand new stock.
Same thing happens with returned Amazon meters. I've had a few returned, I just get them shipped to Chris Gammell in the US who then gives them to local hackers spaces etc. Nothing wrong with them.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 10:59:33 am »

Most business like this would have some form of stock insurance. That's assuming the stock is actually damaged, if it's not, then  :-//
I doubt the insurance company would just pay up without inspecting.

My lab is covered for $50k in contents for example, but zero for stock. But given that the stock is contents in my lab, I don't know what happens if my stack of boxes collapses  ;D

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 11:08:37 am »
They'll do the the math, and decide whether or not to pay depending on how they come out, I guess.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 11:41:47 am »
Don't know the exact stats for back up cameras on cars but they were recently required on new cars in the US and have been very successful at dramatically reducing the number of back up accidents. Maybe it would be a good idea to require them on forklifts as well?
Have you ever driven a forklift?  Especially ones of the size in the Ops video?  By simply turning around in your seat (which is what you are supposed to do when reversing) you will have a MUCH better view than any camera system could ever provide.

The only times camera systems are used on warehouse forklifts are for high reach models.  That's where they mount a camera in line with the fork tines so that you can line them up properly when they're so high up you can't tell easily by looking up.  You have a screen down the bottom with you that you use to get it right

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf