Author Topic: [Fixed] Forced to install Windows 10?  (Read 9312 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: [Fixed] Forced to install Windows 10?
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 08:53:35 pm »
Fusion Drive for mixed HDD/SSD systems, and Retina Display for high-DPI monitors.

Fusion Drive allows you to use the space of the sum of SSD and HDD in the system. The kernel will move hot data in the SSD while move cold data into HDD as needed.

Retina Display scales display elements to match the DPI of the monitor on a much lower level than most other OS, resulting a much prettier HiDPI user interface.

Also, macOS is a fork of BSD. Being UNIX its kernel is much more reliable than Windows. My installations of macOS reboots only when a kernel update ir a hardware modification is in order. It is my daily driver. It can still record uptime of months even under constant interactive use.
I think Intel offers the same. You can add an SSD and the system will work out what files are used most.

I'm not sure about the kernels. I see plenty of Windows Servers with uptimes measured in months. That has been same kernel as the desktop stuff for a while now. Besides, uptime isn't as cool as it used to be. Timely patching is.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:21:19 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2017, 11:55:17 pm »
Or better yet, run open-source Linux without systemd and with a low overhead display manager.

Your machine will run much faster and you'll get more work done.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 12:16:43 am »
So FreeBSD with i3  :-DD

Actually now I look back at what I’ve written it’s not such a bad idea.

(Not a fan of systemd or much of the Linux boot process)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2017, 12:22:23 am »
Or better yet, run open-source Linux without systemd and with a low overhead display manager.

Your machine will run much faster and you'll get more work done.
I literally won't get any work done, due to specific constraints. Horses for courses.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2017, 07:36:48 am »
Fusion Drive for mixed HDD/SSD systems, and Retina Display for high-DPI monitors.

Fusion Drive allows you to use the space of the sum of SSD and HDD in the system. The kernel will move hot data in the SSD while move cold data into HDD as needed.

Retina Display scales display elements to match the DPI of the monitor on a much lower level than most other OS, resulting a much prettier HiDPI user interface.

Also, macOS is a fork of BSD. Being UNIX its kernel is much more reliable than Windows. My installations of macOS reboots only when a kernel update ir a hardware modification is in order. It is my daily driver. It can still record uptime of months even under constant interactive use.
I think Intel offers the same. You can add an SSD and the system will work out what files are used most.

I'm not sure about the kernels. I see plenty of Windows Servers with uptimes measured in months. That has been same kernel as the desktop stuff for a while now. Besides, uptime isn't as cool as it used to be. Timely patching is.
I have been bitten by Intel’s offerings. It had a 64GB SSD cap, the useable space is equal to that of the HDD, and it is fragile AF.

Linux’s bcache is a lot better without the SSD capacity cap and is adequately robust. Although you still lose the SSD space in total useable storage.

Windows 10 now forces reboots. Somehow in Windows almost all system update requires a reboot. On both macOS and Linux unless the kernel or init is being touched no reboot is needed whatsoever.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2017, 08:03:39 am »
My Mac goes into a coma and the WDT fires if I shut the lid about 1 in 10 times. You win some and lose some.  It merely takes the title of least painful desktop and least likely to fuck up hardware.

The only truly reliable machines I have under my command are HP DL series with CentOS and they don’t have a desktop. They literally never do anything untoward. Even when some turdblossom wrote a java fork bomb by accident when parallelising an operation and managed to create a few tens of thousands of threads across 50 nodes, nope hardly even noticed it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2017, 08:16:13 am »
I have been bitten by Intel’s offerings. It had a 64GB SSD cap, the useable space is equal to that of the HDD, and it is fragile AF.

Linux’s bcache is a lot better without the SSD capacity cap and is adequately robust. Although you still lose the SSD space in total useable storage.

Windows 10 now forces reboots. Somehow in Windows almost all system update requires a reboot. On both macOS and Linux unless the kernel or init is being touched no reboot is needed whatsoever.
Again, uptime isn't as cool as it used to be.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2017, 08:25:05 am »
Very true. Uptime is nothing to be proud of and never was. Patched up kit that can handle multiple node outages is something to be proud of. If it’s a desktop machine, who cares as long as it’s patched.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2017, 09:00:16 am »
It's just an annoyance, but I don't get bothered by it much anymore. I only let it update when it's convenient for me. I don't have the service running constantly, just start it up once a month to get the security rollup then shut it down till next time.

Offline grumpydocTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2017, 09:46:22 am »
Very true. Uptime is nothing to be proud of and never was. Patched up kit that can handle multiple node outages is something to be proud of. If it’s a desktop machine, who cares as long as it’s patched.
It's not so much the uptime (as you say, not really an issue on a desktop system), but the inconvenience.

I am the sort of person who can quite easily find myself bashing out an essay (or bit of software) in an all nighter just before the deadline - yes, yes, I know :) - but a forced update and couple of reboots in when I am already stressed is not good!

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2017, 01:18:06 pm »
It's not so much the uptime (as you say, not really an issue on a desktop system), but the inconvenience.

I am the sort of person who can quite easily find myself bashing out an essay (or bit of software) in an all nighter just before the deadline - yes, yes, I know :) - but a forced update and couple of reboots in when I am already stressed is not good!
This is the thing macOS and Linux does NOT do. It will not force install any updates. macOS will be naggy once a day but you can safely discard it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2017, 02:49:47 pm »
This is the thing macOS and Linux does NOT do. It will not force install any updates. macOS will be naggy once a day but you can safely discard it.
I've never had Windows reboot on me if I didn't tell it that I could. It seems mostly to be a matter of PEBCAK.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2017, 03:50:22 pm »
I've never had Windows reboot on me if I didn't tell it that I could. It seems mostly to be a matter of PEBCAK.
Windows 10 will.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2017, 03:58:07 pm »
Windows 10 will.
It hasn't so far, with plenty of miles on the clock :popcorn: Sometimes it needs some tough love, but few OSs don't.

Note that I'm not denying Windows 10 and the attempts to upgrade people to it haven't been intrusive. They absolutely have and it was dreadful behaviour on Microsoft's part.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:00:56 pm by Mr. Scram »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2017, 04:23:46 pm »
Windows 10 will.
It hasn't so far, with plenty of miles on the clock :popcorn: Sometimes it needs some tough love, but few OSs don't.

Note that I'm not denying Windows 10 and the attempts to upgrade people to it haven't been intrusive. They absolutely have and it was dreadful behaviour on Microsoft's part.
Maybe they tamed that with the latest update but before then I remember at least two occasions my laptop forcibly rebooted. there was a countdown timer and a bit of notice but no way that I could see to prevent it happening.

I rarely use that laptop (as it does not live in my main residence) so it probably had a whole bunch of updates at the same time.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2017, 05:24:07 pm »
It always goes off when you've got three VMs running and 11 copies of Visual Studio open and just literally reproduced that shitty bug after three days of config hunting and crawling through no documentation.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2017, 06:05:49 pm »
Way too many times had Windows gave me the 30 second countdown towards update reboot when I was knee deep in Eclipse or Atmel Studio banging out code. That thing is intrusive AF and I usually lose track of things when it comes back up.

Annoying even more when I tried to reproduce an electrically-induced code bug when this pops up. To trigger the bug itself requires some Goldilocks condition that takes a lot of tries. Breaking the flow here will render me unable to fix the bug.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf