Author Topic: Forum dark theme  (Read 7433 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Forum dark theme
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 02:16:41 am »
The current obsession, internet-wide, with dark themes just doesn't make sense from a visual perspective. As with most current digital fads, it's all about PERCEIVED benefit - placebo - rather than hard facts based on research.

When one reads dark text on a light background, the predominant percentage of screen area emitting bright light, causes one's pupils to contract, therefore affording a deeper depth of field, and one struggles far less to focus on the text. I explained that poorly, suffice it to say that "dark mode" is just a fad UNLESS it's night time and you're sleepy, and the brightness of the screen is too painful to your eyes, in which case... TURN OFF AND GO TO SLEEP!!

It's got less to do with focus and more to do with contrast.

I understand that, but it's the opposite of what the dark theme protagonists desire which actually seems to be the case - it's hugely in the mind, I believe.

Maybe, but not in my case.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: eti

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2020, 04:19:10 am »
The current obsession, internet-wide, with dark themes just doesn't make sense from a visual perspective. As with most current digital fads, it's all about PERCEIVED benefit - placebo - rather than hard facts based on research.

Ditto for the current trend to use sans serif fonts for body text in documents. It's supposed to be a more modern look, but research has shown that serif fonts are more readable and sans serif fonts should be reserved for headlines.
"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

The following users thanked this post: eti

Offline AnasMalas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2020, 05:52:49 am »

When one reads dark text on a light background, the predominant percentage of screen area emitting bright light, causes one's pupils to contract, therefore affording a deeper depth of field, and one struggles far less to focus on the text. I explained that poorly, suffice it to say that "dark mode" is just a fad UNLESS it's night time and you're sleepy, and the brightness of the screen is too painful to your eyes, in which case... TURN OFF AND GO TO SLEEP!!

Yeah, no. My eyes have been paining me all day for a while now, tried multiple eyedrops, nothing helped. I then switched everything to dark mode due to a friend's recommendation and now my eyes pain me way way less. I am not one to fall for placebo effects, I tried products made/imported by my father's company and was very quick to say that they are completely useless.

I am sitting in a brightly sun-lit garden as a type this. Upon seeing your reply I lowered my brightness and turned this add-on off (returned to the original theme), and at a brightness where the screen was legible my eyes started paining me in minutes...

Everyone is different. It is highly possible that a percentage of the population has some gene that makes them more sensitive to bright lights/screens. We dont have hard science, so we cant say dark mode is better, but we also cant say it is worse. I can only say that anecdotally it did help.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, newbrain

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2020, 06:55:56 am »

Ditto for the current trend to use sans serif fonts for body text in documents. It's supposed to be a more modern look, but research has shown that serif fonts are more readable and sans serif fonts should be reserved for headlines.

Long video about fonts..

iratus parum formica

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2020, 08:44:59 am »

It’s more complex than that: when only low-resolution output is available (like on traditional 72-96ppi computer displays and 144dpi thermal receipt printers), serifs hurt readability. On high-resolution output (like printers at 600dpi and up), they help. What’s a bit unclear — perhaps there have now been studies on this, I haven’t looked recently — is whether serifs help or hurt on medium-resolution output like high-dpi (~150ppi and up) displays, and printers in draft mode (150-300dpi, but often with gaps between dots).

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2020, 08:19:03 pm »
It’s more complex than that: when only low-resolution output is available (like on traditional 72-96ppi computer displays and 144dpi thermal receipt printers), serifs hurt readability. On high-resolution output (like printers at 600dpi and up), they help. What’s a bit unclear — perhaps there have now been studies on this, I haven’t looked recently — is whether serifs help or hurt on medium-resolution output like high-dpi (~150ppi and up) displays, and printers in draft mode (150-300dpi, but often with gaps between dots).

I wasn't talking about low-res displays and printers, which almost no one uses anymore, but printed matter like books and magazines, and modern computer displays and printers.

"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2023, 02:03:23 am »
OLD THREAD, but someoen has asked about dark themes and I found this old thread and theme CSS. I've just installed it on the server if anyone wants to use it.
Just go to your profile and change the theme.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=theme

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Nominal Animal, mendip_discovery, Hawaka, symphonystars, Reddwarf3r

Offline DarkMode

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2023, 08:32:06 am »
I found a new way of making any program 'dark themed'  8) I wear my sunglasses at night
This one, a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was, what he was doing, HA! Adventure Ha, excitement Ha ... you are reckless - Yoda

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2023, 09:01:02 am »
I found a new way of making any program 'dark themed'  8) I wear my sunglasses at night

Your future's so bright...
iratus parum formica

Offline MarkFTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2023, 11:23:10 am »
OLD THREAD, but someoen has asked about dark themes and I found this old thread and theme CSS. I've just installed it on the server if anyone wants to use it.
Just go to your profile and change the theme.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=theme

Here is my current dark theme version.

There are many things that I just can't override for a complete theme.  So, somethings don't look right especially in the profile settings menus.

I use Google Chrome.  So, not tested with other browsers.

The following users thanked this post: EE4all

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2023, 12:43:59 pm »
I just now installed your dark theme - thank you.

Other people were asking why is it needed, why not turn down the monitor brightness? For me, I'm watching TV in the evenings in another room. I have the PC monitor off to the side of my chair and have this forum open, which is all bright background. Even when watching the TV, even with the monitor brightness turned down, it just presents an annoying glow into my left eye peripheral vision. So this theme will quash that very well.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: MarkF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf