Author Topic: Forum member's country flags  (Read 7283 times)

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Forum member's country flags
« on: April 13, 2021, 02:40:39 am »
I think it would be good if next to each user's country flag it had a two-letter abbreviation of the country name. There are so many flags that I have no idea what they are. And no, I don't come from USA.

Online oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
Re: Forum member's country flags
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 02:43:52 am »
Place the mouse pointer over the flag and it will tell you the country.

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 02:44:40 am »
Oh yeah...  :palm:

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 03:00:03 am »
Unfortunately I believe that should be ".... will usually tell you the country."

Sometimes it breaks (at least for me).  I'm not certain whether its related to server side stuff or if its a browser issue.  It hasn't happened often enough and annoyed me sufficiently for me to put effort into tracking it down.  If you've experienced the same symptoms (mousover country flag doesn't do anything when it *should* display title attribute text of the county name) please reply.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 03:20:08 am »
I've often wondered if instead of country, should it be nationality. In the past I've gotten a fair bit of push-back on that one.

:)
iratus parum formica

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 03:47:36 am »
Unfortunately I believe that should be ".... will usually tell you the country."

Sometimes it breaks (at least for me).  I'm not certain whether its related to server side stuff or if its a browser issue.  It hasn't happened often enough and annoyed me sufficiently for me to put effort into tracking it down.  If you've experienced the same symptoms (mousover country flag doesn't do anything when it *should* display title attribute text of the county name) please reply.
coming from the person choosing to not display a flag, lol

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, drussell

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 04:35:11 am »

I have seen that, but very rarely, and the last time I recall has been a couple of years ago.  But then I don't often look.  I have learned the flags of the dozen or two countries inhabited by the people I most frequently read or interact with so looking is the exception rather than the rule.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 06:10:05 am »
I've often wondered if instead of country, should it be nationality. In the past I've gotten a fair bit of push-back on that one.

:)

I don't really see the relevance of nationality. It's interesting to know where people are, it helps a lot in terms of giving appropriate advice for their location. I never really cared where anyone is originally from unless they wish to share.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, Qw3rtzuiop, newbrain, Jacon

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 06:24:55 am »
coming from the person choosing to not display a flag, lol
The operative word here is 'choosing'.  I hope you will agree that the choice *NOT* to display a flag is preferable to false-flagging?

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 09:57:24 am »
You can choose or choose not to do pretty much anything - even if it's unhelpful to others, or by extension, yourself.
Best Regards, Chris

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 10:31:42 am »
Yep and if I ask a question which would normally cause readers to want to check my location, i have provided insufficient information in that question.    I *TRY* not to do that!

Its not too hard to figure out my approximate location +/- several hundred miles, if you trawl through my posting history, but you'd have to do that manually as 3rd party search engines don't access members only areas.   I've been limiting PII and metadata in anything I post for over 30 years, and don't use social media, for *reasons*, and so far have been successful in keeping my actual identity below the search engine noise floor.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:33:36 am by Ian.M »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 10:33:40 am »
Yep and if I ask a question which would normally cause readers to want to check my location, i have provided insufficient information in that question.    I *TRY* not to do that!

Its not too hard to figure out my approximate location +/- several hundred miles, if you trawl through my posting history, but you'd have to do that manually as 3rd party search engines don't access members only areas.   I've been limiting PII and metadata in anything I post for over 30 years, and don't use social media, for *reasons*, and so far have been successful in keeping my actual identity below the search engine noise floor.

Yet you use your name as your handle?

:o
iratus parum formica

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 10:59:46 am »
Approximately 0.5% of the celtic diaspora share the name 'Ian' and if you narrow my identity down further, its even more common*, so yes, I still use part of my name as my nym, as was customary when I first went online.  Good luck picking me out from the approx 200K other potential Ian.M's out there without 'three letter agency' scale resources to correlate the data.

* https://youtu.be/J2pBluew7aY
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:04:03 am by Ian.M »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 11:25:41 am »
Its not too hard to figure out my approximate location +/- several hundred miles, if you trawl through my posting history, but you'd have to do that manually as 3rd party search engines don't access members only areas.

I'll let you know if I ever work up the enthusiasm and sufficient curiosity to do that!  :-DD
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 12:46:28 pm »
I think it would be good if next to each user's country flag it had a two-letter abbreviation of the country name. There are so many flags that I have no idea what they are. And no, I don't come from USA.
On a desktop I can hover the mouse pointer over the flag to get the country name. Does that not work on all platforms?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 12:49:02 pm »
On iOS, a long press on it opens the context menu for the image, with the hover text as the heading.

The following users thanked this post: bsfeechannel

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 01:23:18 pm »
On a desktop I can hover the mouse pointer over the flag to get the country name. Does that not work on all platforms?

No mouse on tablets and phones.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 01:53:09 pm »
How about showing the (IANA) country code from the IP where the post was generated?

Offline harerod

• Frequent Contributor
  • ee - digital & analog
    • My services:
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 07:09:36 pm »
I like the country flags for several reasons.

First of all, when I see an English speaking country, I can safely take the author's production as the gold standard of English. Conversely, for certain other countries, some caution, mixed with leniency, is called for.

Furthermore, the flag gives a hint at what common cultural knowledge I may expect expect from
the writer. Helps in communication.

Last but not least, one can read the post in what he assumes this person's accent might be. Great fun.
I mean, just read my posts wiz a German accent, as I read the Russians' with Russian accent. :)

The following users thanked this post: Someone, thm_w

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 07:32:06 pm »

Very observant! However, they do have touchscreens.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 07:48:24 pm »
The country flags make sense for several reason. One get an idea on the main grid (voltage and frequency), language, time zone and options for ordering.
It is Ok is some don't want to share that information or are funny and think they are way off south.
With the mouse over one can learn a few of the less common flages.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 07:49:50 pm »

Oddly enough, yours is one that doesn't even show a flag.  :-//

Mine shows my country of residence. I have dual citizenship. Doing it by nationality would create a serious existential crisis :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:52:46 pm by JohnnyMalaria »

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 07:56:44 pm »

Just touch the flag and hold until a menu with actions appears. On top of that menu you'll see the description of the flag with the name of its respective country.

Works for both iOS and Android.

I like the country flags for several reasons.

First of all, when I see an English speaking country, I can safely take the author's production as the gold standard of English. Conversely, for certain other countries, some caution, mixed with leniency, is called for.

That can be misleading, since you can have foreign people living in the country indicated by the flag.

Furthermore, the flag gives a hint at what common cultural knowledge I may expect expect from
the writer. Helps in communication.

However, flags can be used as a political statement, and we've got plenty of examples in this forum. I find it a contradiction that this forum is apolitical when it allows you to use something that is intimately tied to politics in every single post. I know the intention is otherwise, but still.

Last but not least, one can read the post in what he assumes this person's accent might be. Great fun.
I mean, just read my posts wiz a German accent, as I read the Russians' with Russian accent. :)

I read all the posts with a Slim Pickens' accent.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:58:26 pm by bsfeechannel »

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 08:13:17 pm »
Just touch the flag and hold until a menu with actions appears. On top of that menu you'll see the description of the flag with the name of its respective country.

Works for both iOS and Android.

Nope, it does not. (Samsung tablet with Android, iPone 5 with iOS)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 08:39:42 pm »
Nope, it does not. (Samsung tablet with Android, iPone 5 with iOS)

It does too. iPad with iOS and Samsung phone with Android. Using Chrome on both, of course. Seek and ye shall find.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:42:06 pm by bsfeechannel »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf