Author Topic: FORUM UPDATE: New Ignore Topics Feature  (Read 12565 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
FORUM UPDATE: New Ignore Topics Feature
« on: April 13, 2015, 11:36:10 pm »
There is a new forum feature that lets you ignore topics (threads).
You'll find the button in the top right on the Unread Posts page.
Enabling this for any thread means that any posts in there will not show up in your unread post list any more.

But I believe this mod has the potential to hog resources if used too much, so a limit of 100 topics per user has been implemented. This may be restricted or expanded at a later point. Use wisely.

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
Re: FORUM UPDATE: New Ignore Topics Feature
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 12:25:57 am »
This will come in handy. Bye-bye gender gap thread...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:02:56 am »
The syntax to enable this is:

Profile>Modify Profile>Look and Layout>Show quick-moderation as: Checkboxes

Then UPDATE PROFILE

You will then have a Ignore Topic checkbox in your "Show new replies tor your posts" page.

Rather than "Ignore" if you don't have the time use the "Mark replies as read" and save Dave's server load.

Nearly drove Dave crazy getting this right for us.
Good mod Dave.  :clap:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Tomorokoshi, ChunkyPastaSauce, neil t, worsthorse

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:00:16 am »
Awesome! Thanks Dave!

Now to block this thread...

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 07:59:52 am »
This is a good feature.

One of the most annoying things about the gender gap thread was the retards who kept only posting to whine about how the thread is dead. How pathetic is that? If you think a thread is dead then don't post in it idiot!

Hopefully this will now stop and those who aren't interested in a thread will just add it to their ignore list, rather than bitching about it and posting retarded comments.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 08:51:13 am »
I choose to ignore everything anyway, sticks and stones.

But seriously, would it be possible to have a banner or pop up to remind people to read "NEWBIES PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING A NEW THREAD".

To date I don't ever recall starting a new thread, haven't needed to, although I have finished off a few.. :-DD

So a reminder for people to search the forum first before creating mirrored threads may assist in getting rid of the bloody GROUNDHOG DAY effect.

What meter, which scope, how much, where from, sick to death of Sonny and Cher.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:02:05 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 09:16:17 am »
Why would you want to ignore a topic? At some point every topic will just fade away. I really can't see any benefit especially since the number of topics which can be ignored are limited. Or perhaps people are afraid of THE TRUTH and want to stick their heads in the sand  >:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:00:51 am »
Is it possible to "unignore" a topic?

I swear I am not trying to be funny. I can't seem to find and option.

Profile>Modify Profile>Ignore Topic options>Un-Ignore Topics
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 12:03:07 pm »
Why would you want to ignore a topic? At some point every topic will just fade away.

I imagine that if you regularly use the "show unread posts" link (at the top) it would come in useful.  That's not how everyone reads the forum, but for those that do..

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 12:09:18 pm »
But seriously, would it be possible to have a banner or pop up to remind
people to read " NEWBIES PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING A NEW THREAD "

That's not a bad idea.  Many subreddits use some kind of CSS trick to show a giant red banner across the screen when you hover over the "post" button, so it should be simple to do that.

Anyone here good with CSS?  I imagine it would involve adding a (normally hidden) div to all forum pages served as well.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 12:42:53 pm »
Probably not a big deal really, but I do see why established members get annoyed at new comers for posting multiple threads on virtually the same question. 1009, 1011, TRMS, for example.

I, as a frequent user of the search feature of the forum have noticed it becoming cluttered with irrelevant threads, but it's Dave's forum and I'm only a temporary guest here.

Anyway, perhaps a link from the "NEW TOPIC" button to the relevant "NEWBIES PLEASE READ" then a scroll down to a "CONTINUE" button might make prolific thread posters search or think twice.

And on the same page possibly a warning to spammers to XXXX XXX or go away to help minimise moderator intervention could help a bit.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:59:26 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:52:44 pm »
right! it started yesterday lucky me. few hours ago i just realized i ignored pages of topics. usually i clicked select all and click rightmost button, thats where "mark selected as read" button usually is, i did it without looking/reading its automatic subconscious function. now its "ignore topic". please pass the word to the developer... next time dont do that kind of upgrade, if its inevitable, make it visible, change color, bigger button or the like. so people can notice... this kind of upgrade only done by "newbies". putting "ignore" button there may not be that serious there is unignore section i found it allright. what if you put "delete membership" there and then without confirmation yes no msgbox? i bet hundreds or thousands members will abandon ship eevblog. you may say its notified in general section well, this forum has got congested even after i ignored this general section, so any notification in general section will not me compute. i just lurk here about to make a rant, luckily i saw this thread before anything bad happens.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:55:52 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 01:05:44 pm »
But seriously, would it be possible to have a banner or pop up to remind
people to read " NEWBIES PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING A NEW THREAD "

They won't read it, even if you force them to. Or they simply won't care. I'm not kidding!

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 01:27:24 pm »
now the bugger... mark selected as read button in the middle does not work as it was. when i clicked, the topics still appear, a bug or a bugger i dont know. i'm annoyed.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 01:34:31 pm »
now the bugger... mark selected as read button in the middle does not work as it was. when i clicked, the topics still appear, a bug or a bugger i dont know. i'm annoyed.

I just nominated to ignore her indoor's and that didn't work either...... :-DD

Muttley

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 01:41:17 pm »
Kinda related , or not ;)
I do my ignoring in my mind anywhere , many sites and in real life .
On the other side of this , kinda , I am under the impression that even if I post on a thread , I will not get notified without clicking on the notify button ?
So if I find a thread I want to follow , I click on notify .
What the issue is , I seem to get random notify of other threads , and suspect of not getting all notify's of the original thread of interest ????
I've posted this question at least 6-8 times , never got a response ?

Offline nuno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 02:25:16 pm »
I don't know what others think, but for me, I would give more value to a "ignore sub-forum" button. For example, I'm usually not interested in the Test Equipment section, and there's always lots of posts there, that pop up in the unread topics list. This would use less resources. Threads will die off with time, and keep consuming the "ignore" resources.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 02:43:30 pm »
Can the "ignored threads" be made to expire, or should the user just manually check every once in a while?  (Not that I see anyone ever getting close to 100 blocked threads.)

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 03:08:53 pm »
I don't know what others think, but for me, I would give more value to a "ignore sub-forum" button. For example, I'm usually not interested in the Test Equipment section, and there's always lots of posts there, that pop up in the unread topics list. This would use less resources. Threads will die off with time, and keep consuming the "ignore" resources.

That feature already exists:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=ignoreboards

Offline nuno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 03:41:14 pm »
Damn, you're right, thanks :) ! I think I confused with another forum, because I can see that I'm already making use of it, lol

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 04:10:38 pm »
They won't read it, even if you force them to. Or they simply won't care. I'm not kidding!
Exactly. And same for making "sticky" the threads with answers to common questions.  |O

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 12:48:01 am »
I'm not seeing this option on "the top right of the unread topics page" as Dave says in the OP.  Am I missing something? Is it gone or am I looking in the wrong place?

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 01:40:50 am »
I still see it so it must be something individual to your setup. But I only see it on the "Show unread posts since last visit." display.

Thanks. I'm not seeing it there for me and I can't find any settings anywhere that changes that... :-//

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 01:51:34 am »
I'm not seeing this option on "the top right of the unread topics page" as Dave says in the OP.  Am I missing something? Is it gone or am I looking in the wrong place?
You do have to enable it from within your profile settings, I posted the syntax in reply #2.
Then save your profile changes and it should then appear in your "replies"  and "unread" pages from where you can choose to ignore a topic by ticking the box that is now visible.
To "un-ignore" a topic you need to go back into your profile page to do so.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 01:56:46 am »
Doh!  That was it tautech. Thanks.  I could swear that reply #2 of yours was not there when I looked through the thread a few minutes ago. :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf