• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
    • Lynx-India - Visit Us For Not So Boring Electronic Instruments
Re: Found a use for Old LapTop batteries
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:49:31 am »
Well,
     i our labs its ok at wife room  ;D nah nah nah
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ Lynx-India ] , Chandigarh [ India ] - > www.lynxdealerstore.com , www.lynx-india.com
Indian Distributor For  [ Autoelectric , Sofitech , IDEOfy ,Peak Electronic Design [UK ] , Anatek And Creatronica ]
My Electronics Blog - > www.lynxchandigarh.com

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:59:34 am »
Well,
     i our labs its ok at wife room  ;D nah nah nah

What is rhe translation of that please ?  ;)

Offline Amarbir[Lynx-India]

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:55:15 am »
I think he say , his wife will not allow and just buy new batteries  ;D and new house and new car  :) .

I like Curry too!(very very much)

Well,
      Lot of People Think And Associate India With Curry ,IMHO i have no idea what you mean  .India has so many states and each state has its own lauguage and food culture ,I am from north side state is punjab and we have nothing of this stuff .Our food is very different  .Hee Hee And i exactly meant what all you guys are thinking  :D
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ Lynx-India ] , Chandigarh [ India ] - > www.lynxdealerstore.com , www.lynx-india.com
Indian Distributor For  [ Autoelectric , Sofitech , IDEOfy ,Peak Electronic Design [UK ] , Anatek And Creatronica ]

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 11:32:26 am »
He speaks english after all  ;)

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 12:18:40 pm »
Amarbir, one thing that I find annoying about how you write, is that place a space BEFORE punctuation (comma, period) and not after it.

Wrong :India has so many states and each state has its own lauguage and food culture ,I am from north side state is punjab and we have nothing of this stuff .Our food is very different

Right: India has so many states and each state has its own lauguage and food culture, I am from north side state is punjab and we have nothing of this stuff. Our food is very different.

And I think the curry thing was just a joke. ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:21:37 pm by nitro2k01 »
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:13:10 pm »
He speaks english after all  ;)

After a fashion. ;)

Offline Amarbir[Lynx-India]

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 03:57:27 pm »
I think he say , his wife will not allow and just buy new batteries  ;D and new house and new car  :) .

Well,
      Lot of People Think And Associate India With Curry ,IMHO i have no idea what you mean  .India has so many states and each state has its own language and food culture ,I am from north side state is Punjab and we have nothing of this stuff .Our food is very different  .Hee Hee And i exactly meant what all you guys are thinking  :D

Is this a Pun or Jab? you do not know what your missing out on Amarbir  ??? a good curry is the best thing on the planet just about , next minute Bhangra is from somewhere else (i like it too very very much >2gb of mp3's)
http://www.top-indian-recipes.com/punjab-curry-recipes.htm , plenty hits on search .
If i ever get to your area i will show you how to make a good curry ok!
byeee ....

Sir ,
     My State in India is Punjab .Bhangra is our native folk dance
Regards

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 04:17:59 pm »
English is good, how is your Punjabi, Urdu and Hindi? Lots of delicious foods from the continent available here, we have even got our own developed dishes. Some mild, some wild, some three times burning.......

Offline Rick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:49:00 pm »

Well,
      Lot of People Think And Associate India With Curry ,IMHO i have no idea what you mean  .India has so many states and each state has its own lauguage and food culture ,I am from north side state is punjab and we have nothing of this stuff .Our food is very different  .Hee Hee And i exactly meant what all you guys are thinking  :D

Yeah I used to associate curry with the Indian cuisine too but it looks like it is more about "masala", right? I prefer masala actually;) It looks like Thai people use curry.

Offline Fallingwater

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 10:58:18 pm »
The outside sensor batteries(2 AAA) went flat today , i did not have any , but i had these 18650's laying around .

The main unit (2AA) is sensitive to a slightly higher voltage as it creates bleedover into the next segments or a lightly 'on' look , what the main unit picture does not show too well is there are 2 diodes in series , only one in the sensor unit .

There are 3.3v regulators but one needs +5v in which would mean 2 x 3.8v nominal (fully charged 4.1v) in series and that would last for years! , i only had the 2 old batteries spare shown , my others are used in Flashlights (new good ones) . just thought i'd show and tell :) .
Move over and bow to the master :D

Also see this and this. More useful pages written by yours truly here and here.

Offline Nirios

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 01:40:14 am »
Move over and bow to the master :D

There is no way in this world I would stick raw, cheap, Chinese 18650 cells in my pocket.

He's afraid the protection circuit would be too bulky? :)  I would be afraid of burning something off.

Offline Fallingwater

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:24:21 pm »
Metal-cased LiIon cells aren't like soft-packaged LiPos; they're pretty sturdy and don't catch fire unless subjected to massive physical trauma. I'm about to add a protective sheet of plastic on them, though.

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 09:58:33 pm »
and there was me thinking it would be a pop it phtonicinduction style
eecs guy

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
I have dismantled a few, nice copper and aluminium sheeting inside, and quite fun. It does get a bit warm when dropped in water to react it all to an inert chemical soup.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 06:48:01 am »
What i think it is : The more "explosive/dangerous" aka reactive a chemical is the higher the power to weight ratio  :P
Time for potassium batteries

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 04:03:56 pm »
Lithium Chloride is a very potent mood stabiliser, but the dose difference between chill and slab-o-meat-in-morgue is rather small, and the side effects are rather nasty.

As well the metal in a battery is not the chloride, but an organometallic compound, with a organic solvent. That will definitely not be a good thing to ingest.

Offline Fallingwater

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 12:47:28 pm »
I'm about to start looking to to find a Dummy BL-5C battery housing
No such thing (that I'm aware of). You'll have to dismantle an existing battery. Get the cheapest you can find on eBay - you don't care about its actual capacity anyway.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 05:51:48 am »
I did the same with a clock with chime, that I bought from Maplin in around 1985 ( bought 5 so i would have spares, and they were a end of range item) using some primary lithium cells  with added 1000uF capacitor to drive the chime side. Clock 1.5V cell lasts around 5 years, and the lithium for the chime now should do 10 years. Got tired of changing chime batteries every 2 years ( cheap ones as odd size for me- d cells) when it sounded drawn out.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 08:53:12 am »
I'm about to start looking to to find a Dummy BL-5C battery housing
No such thing (that I'm aware of). You'll have to dismantle an existing battery. Get the cheapest you can find on eBay - you don't care about its actual capacity anyway.

How correct you are Fw , i spent 2 hours looking on the net and came up to your conclusion , thanks , i might even drop into a mobile phone shop (cell phone) and see if they got a dud one .
There are manufacturers on Alibaba that can sell you a ton of battery housings cheaply, although the MOC is probably not going to be 1.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 12:25:00 pm »
I had a problem earlier this year (My big clock's D cell been going for 5 years without a battery change)
It had constantly been going off by 15mins every few months(after tweaking the time again) so i decided to check the batteries, well it was nearly fresh oddly so i placed the cell back and it's never off anymore! (Sorcery?)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 12:46:25 pm »
Changing those involded a screwdriver and soldering them in, as the cell holders were broken......... Only way to change them would have meant a new clock. Mom is very attached to the clock.

An insulating film does tend to build up on battery contacts, especially for low loads, or if the cells have ever leaked.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 05:58:00 pm »
Changing those involded a screwdriver and soldering them in, as the cell holders were broken......... Only way to change them would have meant a new clock. Mom is very attached to the clock.

An insulating film does tend to build up on battery contacts, especially for low loads, or if the cells have ever leaked.
That might be it, but it's a carbon-zinc so i doubt it ever leaked

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 08:07:05 pm »
Humid environment ( Singapore is one) and a oxide layer will build up on most metals.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 10:39:07 pm »
Humid environment ( Singapore is one) and a oxide layer will build up on most metals.
Thanks for the info sean  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf