Author Topic: Happy Birthday Gordon Moore - age 90  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Richard CrowleyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Happy Birthday Gordon Moore - age 90
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:32:13 pm »
Dr. Moore was born on 03-Jan-1929.  After leaving Shockley Labs with the "traitorous eight" and forming Fairchild Semiconductor, he and Robert Noyce left Fairchild and founded NM Electronics. (Later named "Intel"). 

In the 35th anniversary edition of Electronics magazine (19-Apr-1965) he was asked to write an article that was named "Cramming more components onto integrated circuits"  It contained what is now called "Moore's Law"

Cramming more components onto integrated circuits

With unit cost falling as the number of components per circuit rises, by 1975 economics may dictate squeezing as many as 65,000 components on a single silicon chip

By Gordon E. Moore
Director, Research and Development Laboratories, Fairchild Semiconductor division of Fairchild Camera and Instrument Corp.

http://www.monolithic3d.com/uploads/6/0/5/5/6055488/gordon_moore_1965_article.pdf

Intel has published a "commemorative edition" of the long-defunct magazine "Electronics" including the article...
https://issuu.com/zenogroupcal/docs/intel_electronics_magazine_final/20

The following users thanked this post: Tomorokoshi

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: Happy Birthday Gordon Moore - age 90
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 04:59:23 pm »
I think that Moores Law is just about holding, although the GHz race has now slowed to a crawl. Elsewhere on Youtube I watched a video today of someone doing a server rollout. Each machine had 2 x 20 core CPUs and was filled with 64Gb RAM sticks, power that was unthinkable in April 1965.

So, thank you Gordon, and I hope that you had cake  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
Re: Happy Birthday Gordon Moore - age 90
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 05:56:34 pm »
So, thank you Gordon, and I hope that you had cake  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Going by Moore's Law since that article, his cake should have approximately pi*10^17 candles!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf